Question for our resident experts. | Page 9 | Vital Football

Question for our resident experts.

£300 billion is likely cost according to The Telegraph. Higher taxation and public sector pay freezes again to recoup it all. More austerity yet again and a typical Tory way of treating the NHS staff.
What about borrowing? It would require a massive tax hike to pay for the Coronavirus disruption and that would be self defeating as it would hit spending power and ability of companies to expand/hold stocks etc

Best suggestions on how the money is recovered then my old mate.
I’d start with tax loopholes.
Employ the tax experts who advise on how to circumvent the current legislation.
Be careful what you wish for because many pension funds use tax havens to boost growth or the funds could well end up in deficit. But you need to give examples of where the Govt is losing out - many self-employed for starters.

"Not spending on a fire service" - bet you would be bloody grateful for them if your house was on fire. Tory party philosophy is that public spending is the root of all evil - public sector bad, private sector good. One day you might just be in need of the Police, an ambulance, a fire engine or even care and universal credit. I doubt you will need to worry about your state retirement pension as that will have long been abolished by the time you become a gimmer. One day you may look back and wish it had been different - especially if you have children/grandchildren who have to face decades of Tory austerity.
I'm not sure whether your misunderstanding is genuine ... or deliberate because of a political difference ?

Where dis I say (suggest or imply) "not spending on a fire service" ?

I said:
"Surely no-one can "want" to spend money on (say) a fire service ?
Surely we do so as "insurance ?"

Is the difference unclear ?

Spending taxpayer's money on things like fires, floods, epidemics or other natural disasters may add to GDP (economic "growth"), but how do any of these occurences improve people's lives ?
Surely such events are wealth destroyers not wealth creators ?
Would anyone seriously wan't more of them ?

Be careful what you wish for because many pension funds use tax havens to boost growth or the funds could well end up in deficit. But you need to give examples of where the Govt is losing out - many self-employed for starters.
Profit transfers from place of transaction to another tax jurisdiction.
e.g. Amazon booking sales in Luxembourg despite having warehouses up and down the M1.

Over-valued intellectual property.
e.g. Starbucks making UK cafe owners pay overseas for the use of its logo ... so apparently making very little profit in the UK but still increasing branches.

The amounts individual self-employed save from (presumably) expense padding is almost certainly dwarfed by large Corporate manipulations - but the self-employed seem to make easier targets.

Care to explain ?
Or is this another anti-Cons. aside aimed solely at fellow tribalists ?;)
You know full well what I mean. A 2 year pay freeze for public sector workers when this is all over (if and when), what a reward for the NHS staff of bugger all. Public servants have had virtually no pay rises since 2010, remember even the NHS 1% increase was turned down by the government much to the delight of Johnson and his cheering sneering chums. Just more of the same - hit the low paid and public sector by the bullying Tories.

You know full well what I mean. A 2 year pay freeze for public sector workers when this is all over (if and when), what a reward for the NHS staff of bugger all. Public servants have had virtually no pay rises since 2010, remember even the NHS 1% increase was turned down by the government much to the delight of Johnson and his cheering sneering chums. Just more of the same - hit the low paid and public sector by the bullying Tories.
They will get a nice clap though.
:-)

I see you choose to totally ignore the NHS 2018 3 year pay and conditions deal, but that's the trouble with bigots they don't deal in facts.

I see you choose to totally ignore the NHS 2018 3 year pay and conditions deal, but that's the trouble with bigots they don't deal in facts.
The 3 year deal as I've just read it/understand it was
3%
1.67%
1.7%

Wow. If it had been on top of what I got in the public sector since 2010, that deal would have followed, iirc
0%
0%
0%
0%
1%
1%
1%

About 10% over 10 years. In real terms that's quite a cut.

Of course, whether that's shabby, given how much they've raved about them over Covid is a matter of opinion for us all. I tend to feel that they've been taken for granted. I'm old and cynical enough to think that in a few years (or less) they will go back to taking them for granted again. The majority will be dedicated, professional and generous enough to put up with it again and I suspect the Government knows it.

The statement was that there had been no pay rises, I pointed out there had been, it also included a lot of other increases related to changes in the pay grades.

Profit transfers from place of transaction to another tax jurisdiction.
e.g. Amazon booking sales in Luxembourg despite having warehouses up and down the M1.

Over-valued intellectual property.
e.g. Starbucks making UK cafe owners pay overseas for the use of its logo ... so apparently making very little profit in the UK but still increasing branches.

The amounts individual self-employed save from (presumably) expense padding is almost certainly dwarfed by large Corporate manipulations - but the self-employed seem to make easier targets.
You've missed the point. That said, HMRC could stamp out a lot of the likes which Starbucks engage in by enforcing strictly transfer pricing rules. Of course there are major conglomerates who abuse the system but there are many ordinary companies and pension funds that take advantage of tax havens and benefit legitimately.

The irony is that Amazon are one of the companies that are making big profits from the lockdown.

I
The statement was that there had been no pay rises, I pointed out there had been, it also included a lot of other increases related to changes in the pay grades.
I've just re-read it and it says "virtually no pay rises". It's a matter of semantics. If we use pay rises in "real" terms then I'm sure we all agree that it has been a pay cut over the10 years.

I

I've just re-read it and it says "virtually no pay rises". It's a matter of semantics. If we use pay rises in "real" terms then I'm sure we all agree that it has been a pay cut over the10 years.
And the world outside the public sector suffered the same recession, and the same stagnating wages.
I'm not saying that nurses don't deserve the money they get and more, but there are many who earn less.

I

Well said 58. The true sign of a bigot as he delightfully described me is surely someone who does not read before launching into insults.

Well said 58. The true sign of a bigot as he delightfully described me is surely someone who does not read before launching into insults.
I'm not the one using the nurses, the corona virus, or anything else to score cheap political points.