Question for our resident experts. | Page 10 | Vital Football

Question for our resident experts.

It didn't.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...ayhigherinthepublicorprivatesector/2017-11-16

Many of those, who earn less, are former public sector workers migrated to the private sector.
This is old data that doesn't include the recent pay awards that I highlighted, but as the NHS was the main discussion, here is a section taken from your link.

"Health and social care is a relatively well-paid profession in the public sector, with average weekly earnings of £555 in September 2017. "

"Health and social care is a relatively well-paid profession in the public sector, with average weekly earnings of £555 in September 2017".

Think it should have read "for" the Public Sector. You are hardly going to have a lavish life style on that.

"Health and social care is a relatively well-paid profession in the public sector, with average weekly earnings of £555 in September 2017".

Think it should have read "for" the Public Sector. You are hardly going to have a lavish life style on that.
I'd be interested to know if that was the mean or median average. If median then not too bad. If mean then quite low (for 2017) assuming doctors/consultants (and the army of managers the Tories have employed to run the "businesses") would boost the figure considerably.

You, as one of the rich people might not have a lavish life style on that, but for me it would be a large increase

I'd be interested to know if that was the mean or median average. If median then not too bad. If mean then quite low (for 2017) assuming doctors/consultants (and the army of managers the Tories have employed to run the "businesses") would boost the figure considerably.
You have to remember to add 30-50% to salaries though, to account for their final salary pensions

This is old data that doesn't include the recent pay awards that I highlighted, but as the NHS was the main discussion, here is a section taken from your link.

"Health and social care is a relatively well-paid profession in the public sector, with average weekly earnings of £555 in September 2017. "

Fairly irrelevant stat to argue on unless its broken down into roles and numbers employed in that role. Is it doctors, etc or ....?
Even more so as it includes social care - does that include those on zero hours minimum wage.

The pay awards that are claimed at 1% were only for 2 years, below is taken from the Nurses.co web site.

"Between 2010 and 2015, average NHS Nursing salaries increased by just over 2%.
Then between 2015 and 2017, a fixed 1% pay rise was implemented – the well-known ‘pay cap’."
Then it went on to the 3 year 2018 pay award.

A newly qualified nurse starts on band 5 which is £24,907.
Again I'm not arguing that they don't deserve it or even more, I was just correcting a post that was using spurious figures snatched out of the air.

Once something is out there, it very hard to convince someone that it's not true.
A perfect example was a lady who called Jeremy Vine this morning and ranted on about the massive monetary cuts to the NHS budget

Of course, we all know that there has been no cuts to the budget but, the cut has been against GDP percentages

We can all agree that the NHS needs more money, but there doesn't appear to have been any cuts.

Once something is out there, it very hard to convince someone that it's not true.
A perfect example was a lady who called Jeremy Vine this morning and ranted on about the massive monetary cuts to the NHS budget

Of course, we all know that there has been no cuts to the budget but, the cut has been against GDP percentages

We can all agree that the NHS needs more money, but there doesn't appear to have been any cuts.

People believe what the media tells them they believe.

We are back to lies, dammed lies and statistics as the stats from different media and statisticians are being used by both sides to prove their point. To get a true picture you have to go behind stats and delve into reality.

The woman in question needs to see this.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/nhs-in-a-nutshell/nhs-budget

You, as one of the rich people might not have a lavish life style on that, but for me it would be a large increase
It would also be a large increase for me. Before tax, I'm on £423pw. As a fellow pensioner this is fine. Comfortable life. No complaints.

The workers who get £555 are likely to have high outgoings. Mortgage/rent/travel, children to support. Hence your comment is either disingenuous or you aren't very bright. I pretty sure it's the former.

It would also be a large increase for me. Before tax, I'm on £423pw. As a fellow pensioner this is fine. Comfortable life. No complaints.

The workers who get £555 are likely to have high outgoings. Mortgage/rent/travel, children to support. Hence your comment is either disingenuous or you aren't very bright. I pretty sure it's the former.
I wasn't complaining 58, just saying that I could have a lavish life style on that.

I wasn't complaining 58, just saying that I could have a lavish life style on that.
Ok. So could I, but many can't. Some through their own fault but most people have far higher unavoidable expenses than you and I. It wouldn't have been nearly enough for me when I had 2 kids and a mortgage to fund in the back streets of glamorous Catford a few years ago.

You're right; there have been no cuts but not enough has been put in to cover the costs.

That doesn't seem particularly high for someone who has just taken a degree course and no doubt works long hours to boot.
That is the first year Wayne, they also get between 30 and 60% for weekends, nights, bank holiday payments.

Ok. So could I, but many can't. Some through their own fault but most people have far higher unavoidable expenses than you and I. It wouldn't have been nearly enough for me when I had 2 kids and a mortgage to fund in the back streets of glamorous Catford a few years ago.
I agree with you 58, the trouble is there are probably 2 million plus who earn a lot less, look at the basic minimum wage and how many earn it, Bringing up a family on £16,000 a week must really take some doing.