Question for our resident experts. | Page 11 | Vital Football

Question for our resident experts.

That doesn't seem particularly high for someone who has just taken a degree course and no doubt works long hours to boot.

in fact its the same as a newly qualified teacher and teachers don't have the opportunity for overtime or unsociable hours payments. And plenty of people are currently finding out now that teaching isn't quite the cushy number they thought it was!

I agree with you 58, the trouble is there are probably 2 million plus who earn a lot less, look at the basic minimum wage and how many earn it, Bringing up a family on £16,000 a week must really take some doing.
Yes, quite right. That makes a lot of people badly paid. As you point out, there are many on even worse sums to live on. That doesn't make the front line NHS/carers' income ok, just not as bad as some others (or not the worst paid).

On another point it is interesting to see what people have, unfortunately, discovered about benefits. Not as generous as some of our newspapers would have them believe. I've heard numerous people on phone ins wonder how to cope on such low sums.

in fact its the same as a newly qualified teacher and teachers don't have the opportunity for overtime or unsociable hours payments. And plenty of people are currently finding out now that teaching isn't quite the cushy number they thought it was!
Agree and thanks for the perspective. I've always despaired for example of those who say teachers get seven weeks off in the summer. of late however, I've heard people say after doing home schooling that they will never criticise teachers again. So perhaps something good has come out of this shit.

A couple of years ago my niece came over from Australia after being offered a teaching post in inner London. My daughter advised her to come to Kent as the inner city schools being offered were the worst ones in London.
No problems says my niece as she was used to rough schools and kids in the Brisbane area.
She came, took the job in an inner city school and after a few occasions of having chairs thrown at her - ran back to Aus.

Agree and thanks for the perspective. I've always despaired for example of those who say teachers get seven weeks off in the summer. of late however, I've heard people say after doing home schooling that they will never criticise teachers again. So perhaps something good has come out of this shit.
Thanks Wayne. Although I liked the job, I wake up every day thankful that I've finished. In fact I'm surprised at how I don't miss the job at all.

I do wonder how people are coping with home schooling. Can anyone on this board say how they are getting on?

You have to remember to add 30-50% to salaries though, to account for their final salary pensions
You have to remember to add 30-50% to salaries though, to account for their final salary pensions

That's well out of date after the increased contributions agreed over a number of years. I worked roughly half of my working life in the private sector and half in the public sector. I never health insurance in the public sector, nor a car and the only bonus I received was a one off in lieu of an annual pay rise. Factor that in.

That's well out of date after the increased contributions agreed over a number of years. I worked roughly half of my working life in the private sector and half in the public sector. I never health insurance in the public sector, nor a car and the only bonus I received was a one off in lieu of an annual pay rise. Factor that in.
The supposed gold plated pension was phased out of the public service many, many years' ago.

I do wonder how people are coping with home schooling. Can anyone on this board say how they are getting on?

I'm coping fine with the home schooling, mainly due to the fact that I'm out working whilst the carnage is going on at 'home school'. I arrive home from work just in time for the PE lesson (take her round the park for a kick about now lockdown has been eased, before that just a walk and fresh air) and just as the Mrs is between meltdown and murder. The little un has a concentration span of a gnat at the best of times, but this home schooling is not helping one bit.

The good news is the Mrs is likely to have to do this until September due to our little un having acute asthma, but I'm not sure the Mrs will survive til then tbh, before she spontaneously combusts.

So for me home schooling is going fine, though if you asked the Mrs how it's going she'll probably just tell you to "fuck off":wahey:

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:
I'm coping fine with the home schooling, mainly due to the fact that I'm out working whilst the carnage is going on at 'home school'. I arrive home from work just in time for the PE lesson (take her round the park for a kick about now lockdown has been eased, before that just a walk and fresh air) and just as the Mrs is between meltdown and murder. The little un has a concentration span of a gnat at the best of times, but this home schooling is not helping one bit.

The good news is the Mrs is likely to have to do this until September due to our little un having acute asthma, but I'm not sure the Mrs will survive til then tbh, before she spontaneously combusts.

So for me home schooling is going fine, though if you asked the Mrs how it's going she'll probably just tell you to "fuck off":wahey:

Hope that answers your question.
I couldn't help laughing all the way through that lovely report. Genuinely sorry for your missus. Best wishes and good luck to you both.

In fairness, some kids behave better at school than they do at home, particularly teenagers. I often told parents they had nice kids and they were really surprised to hear it.
In spite of my comments in posts above, most kids are nice. Like football fans, a small minority can spoil it.

Parents shouldn't panic about their kids missing some school, only if it drags on for several more months (beyond September).

I think we'll survive, just, but the little un ( she's 8) knows just what buttons to push and has the added advantage of being able to give answers to her mum she'd never dare to her teacher ( don't know where she gets that from:yes:) .

She's quite bright for her age and picks things up fairly easily, but with the combination of the concentration span of a gnat and ants in her pants the home schooling is turning into an 'experience' I'm not sure the Mrs us overly keen to do again any time soon once this is all over. :hammer:

According to the Mrs I take all the glory and do the easy bit of PE, huh wtf, I was nearly dead after half an hour of kick about yesterday.

I think we'll survive, just, but the little un ( she's 8) knows just what buttons to push and has the added advantage of being able to give answers to her mum she'd never dare to her teacher ( don't know where she gets that from:yes:) .

She's quite bright for her age and picks things up fairly easily, but with the combination of the concentration span of a gnat and ants in her pants the home schooling is turning into an 'experience' I'm not sure the Mrs us overly keen to do again any time soon once this is all over. :hammer:

According to the Mrs I take all the glory and do the easy bit of PE, huh wtf, I was nearly dead after half an hour of kick about yesterday.
I was watching Michael Bublé talking about home teaching. He implied it was tough especially as his children wanted to watch TV. He relented but only if the sound was off and he put up subtitles. He said it seemed to work.

My heart goes out to anyone trying to teach kids at home.Some like my sister in law are really good at it so much so as the London area they lived wasn't great she taught all three at home for a few years .The first child only did senior school the rest he did at home. Even though my sister in law had very average grades herself. He was 2 years ahead time he went to school. He was saying his alphabet perfectly before he was out of nappies. Well almost perfect apart from the"Double uball U "that is .Instead of W. So kids are naturally gifted those few parents are fortunate. For most it is very tough indeed .My son was always poor at school as he had learning and attention problems. Although he has always had ability with his hands doing more practical stuff. But I doubt there is very much of that in the curriculum these days .

Thanks Wayne. Although I liked the job, I wake up every day thankful that I've finished. In fact I'm surprised at how I don't miss the job at all.

My two sisters are both teachers, and they are enjoying teaching kids from home. Some of the kids who are usually shy or bullied are excelling with their parents help. Some haven't even bothered logging into the lessons, but they are usually the ones who don't usually bother at school, and they can't disrupt the class as they usually do. My nieces are struggling, and one is an LSA. Their kids are doing well wiith home schooling, but they are not liking trying to get their kids to do what their teachers have no problem doing!

Surely anyone home schooling should be compelled to get their children to log onto here - all these topics we cover from crumpets to car batteries, Brexit to the BNP, this site is the real university of life.

Very true, but they would still ask what the correct answer was due to the very polarised views expressed on here.

They may get an A+ in debating though, if that is on the curriculum.

No need to guess who the head teacher is.

Our resident know it all and forum Patriarch
I'm not sure - he doesn't tend to tell people what to do before hand, rather he tells people they were wrong after the event (and what they should have done). Maybe he would be better suited to chairman of the board of governors?

I am sure we could come up with a list of school related jobs for our resident posters - Wayne would be Head teacher, Gills58 would be an all rounder who could teach almost anything being a former teacher, Nobby - in charge of school security, Tarian would be political studies with responsibility for school discipline, LSB2 would be in charge of the school panto as he likes a laugh and also organise the school Xmas booze up, School secretary would surely fit ChrisWho, AK would teach English literature with his long essays, VG would promote equal opportunities especially kids from a BAME background, and I would be the doddery old caretaker. Any others?

Last edited:
I am sure we could come up with a list of school related jobs for our resident posters - Wayne would be Head teacher, Gills58 would be an all rounder who could teach almost anything being a former teacher, Nobby - in charge of school security, Tarian would be political studies with responsibility for school discipline, LSB2 would be in charge of the school panto as he likes a laugh and also organise the school Xmas booze up, School secretary would surely fit ChrisWho, AK would teach English literature with his long essays, VG would promote equal opportunities especially kids from a BAME background, and I would be the doddery old caretaker. Any others?

I'd like to apply for the post as History teacher

Can I be the ageing, scruffy trendy, who sort of gets to please himself and shields children from testing, testing, testing.