• Kent Nielsen

• Oscar Garcia

• Quique Sanchez Flores

• Slaven Bilic

• Rafa Benitez

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree Villa Park was a bit of a fortress under Bruce (for a while at least) but at the same time it was never that surprising when we lost. Mainly because we were so consistently average.

It wasn't the same as say under MON, where beating lesser teams 4-0 or more was a semi-regular thing.

I can only recall 2 results under Bruce. The 5-0 vs Bristol City and obviously the Wolves game.

Is is still allowed to have a player/manager in the modern era. If so, getting John Terry in as player/manager would solve two problems. Not sure where the technical area would be though
?

According to todays press conference, who ever the new manager is will either be present or send a representative to milwall tomorrow.

Is that what was said? If it is it has been decided then? I thought it was people who are interested in the job may be there of sending a representative? There is a world of difference? I did not hear it myself?

Still sounds like a fortress to me, so all down to opinions. But why are we all still bickering about Bruce, he's left. Surely we can all argue over the new manager instead

Well said. There's so many more things we can moan at each other about than Steve Bruce.

I'm always a bit bemused by the term "fortress" , as in we want Villa Park to be a fortress.
A fortress is a dour, static, defensive position. Just what we've had under Bruce. I'm all for letting the cavalry loose. A campaign of movement and pace to blitz the opposition.

In a recent article Sky described a fortress as a stadium which strikes fear into visitors. They named the obvious ones over the past 5 years. And some time in the future, that’s what I’d like Villa Park to become once again.

I do agree Villa Park was a bit of a fortress under Bruce (for a while at least) but at the same time it was never that surprising when we lost. Mainly because we were so consistently average.

It wasn't the same as say under MON, where beating lesser teams 4-0 or more was a semi-regular thing.

I can only recall 2 results under Bruce. The 5-0 vs Bristol City and obviously the Wolves game.

I think your mind is playing tricks, we were pretty average at home under MON. I don't think we even won half our home games under him. We ground out a lot of boring away results, the football was never that great. No doubt someone will Google it

I've just done some checking Deano and I do owe you an apology with regards to De Boer.
He had 5 games at Crystal Palace, won 3 points, which works out at 0.60 points per game.
It was at Ajax he had success gaining 2.02 points per game.

Nope wrong again. As said he was in charge for 4 league matches and they lost all 4 not scoring a single goal. His only win came in the League Cup.

Back to the excitement over who our new manager will be. Just been reading Sunderland fans thoughts on Moyes. Shocking assessments. If our hierarchy do pick him then they will lose all credibility. Who are the 2 owners going to get advice from? Which direction would Brian point them in I wonder. Where is our faith in them making a good decision coming from? Mendes?

Back to the excitement over who our new manager will be. Just been reading Sunderland fans thoughts on Moyes. Shocking assessments. If our hierarchy do pick him then they will lose all credibility. Who are the 2 owners going to get advice from? Which direction would Brian point them in I wonder. Where is our faith in them making a good decision coming from? Mendes?
I believe mendes has been tasked with finding a new manager or may have even found him.

Didn’t Bruce just cause most of his own problems?

The football was diabolical & the squad was not balanced. Yes there was some disruption in the summer but we had chances to put the squad right
Unbalanced? How many Bruce signings were regularly played? What happened to: Lansbury, Bree, Taylor, Hogan (& not just because of injuries) Nyland (dropped), Moreira, Glen Whelan (this season), Barjanason (most of the time)... and U23s ignored. OK you can only pick 11 at a time BUT too many were signed and almost ignored and youth was not developed...other than maybe Keinan Davies, who only got in the team due to injusries to others. Sorry, but if this was good team development, I don't see it.

Fair enough. Fine margins though I guess. If the pen and red weren't given , we win comfortably??
No. Did you see the game? It doesn’t appear you did.
We sat back and invited them on , again, and our shape was , well, we didn’t have one.
I’m not for knee jerk reactions but I’ve seen this cycle with Bruce before just look at Wigan , Hull, Sunderland etc. Liked him as a man but he had undoubtedly lost the players.
As others have noted, his choices were, at times, baffling. He changed the side every game for changing sake. It had gone too far and he had to go. Shame and all that but we have to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.