• Kent Nielsen

• Oscar Garcia

• Quique Sanchez Flores

• Slaven Bilic

• Rafa Benitez

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Style of play doesn't come into it" Yes it does.

Good attacking performances normally end with a win. Tight defence, relying on a bit of individual magic might sneak you a win. Didn't work against better teams and frankly bored the pants off me.

Shall we just go back to last year (which ultimately wasn't good enough) or try something different. I know what I'm hoping for and it ain't more Bruceball.

100 odd games - failed to get promotion
brilliant - he was able to achieve an excellent win ratio but not quite good enough to better top drawer managers like erm Neil Warnock.

Even the 'best home' record isn't quite all that - did we have the best home record in the championship last year - nope Wolves & Cardiff better
how about the part season before - not a chance.
but in fairness we did achieve the best home record in the championship for those teams not good enough to be promoted - quite the accolade.

anyway lets see how bad the next one is and we can look back fondly on the golden Brucie era

Nope. We only lost 2 home games last season, same as Wolves. Cardiff lost 3.
There is no doubt that it was time to change the manager, but people have very short memories if they think our results werent better under Bruce than the previous 5 managers

Was it transfermarkt who told you that De Boer was a success at Crystal Palace? :lol:

I didn't claim DeBoer was a success at Crystal Palace.
I did say he had a reasonable if not good record there, claiming something over 1.9 points a game.
Their board didn't exactly give him too long in situ and he may well have ended up at 1.0 a game but, a good start even if the football they played wasn't eye-catching.

There is no doubt that it was time to change the manager, but people have very short memories if they think our results werent better under Bruce than the previous 5 managers

Different division, clearly the results overall were better. Not much cop lately. Bottom line having had a decent run of results mid last season, we are no better off than when Bruce arrived. Fortress or no fortress.

"Style of play doesn't come into it" Yes it does.

No it doesn't.

We're talking about whether its fair to describe Villa Park as a fortress.

When have you have heard anyone say.... "Team A have only lost 1 in 60 games at home, but it's not a fortress as their style of play doesn't please some fans"?

It's just crazy talk. Some people just don't want to give the man any credit.

You judge a Home Grounds 'fortressability' (yay I just invented a word) on results alone. Surely.

Oh so we’re not able to challenge your point of view? Because they’re the facts?
The majority of the home games you quote were in the premier league when we were were in free fall. So it’s an absurd comparison. Daft in fact.

I didn't claim DeBoer was a success at Crystal Palace.
I did say he had a reasonable if not good record there, claiming something over 1.9 points a game.
Their board didn't exactly give him too long in situ and he may well have ended up at 1.0 a game but, a good start even if the football they played wasn't eye-catching.

Are you on this planet?

He was in charge for 4 games.... they lost all 4 without scoring a single goal.

:slap:

Prior to Bruce we'd only won 3 games in 25 home games.

That turn around is nothing short of remarkable.

One minute you're going to games knowing you are going to lose.

Bruce takes over.

The next minute we are going to games knowing we are not going to lose.

You can't argue with facts I'm afraid

We became more difficult to beat but, what is the turnaround Deano?
While losing six, how many did we win in that 52?

Oh so we’re not able to challenge your point of view? Because they’re the facts?
The majority of the home games you quote were in the premier league when we were were in free fall. So it’s an absurd comparison. Daft in fact.

The discussion is about Villa Park being a fortress.

2 defeats in 27

or 6 defeats in 56

Those are fortress stats. it's not about opinion. It was the strongest home record in the entire football league last month.

If your opinion is that to call a ground a fortress the team must not only remain unbeaten but also play champagne football at all times, then I suppose there are only 4 or 5 grounds that would come into that category in world football.

Here's the credit I'll give him. Gave us an excellent set of mid season results, signed a lot of players and left us in a mess at fortress Villa Park.

The discussion is about Villa Park being a fortress.

2 defeats in 27

or 6 defeats in 56

Those are fortress stats. it's not about opinion. It was the strongest home record in the entire football league last month.

If your opinion is that to call a ground a fortress the team must not only remain unbeaten but also play champagne football at all times, then I suppose there are only 4 or 5 grounds that would come into that category in world football.

It was you who used the stats to make your point Deano, not me. To me a fortress is what Villa Park was once for periods under Saunder’s tenure, it was Anfield for many years, probably now too, Old Trafford under Ferguson, Etiad etc. It certainly was not Villa Park under Bruce. And yes, that’s only my opinion but my opinion is as valid as yours on here (I hope). Disagree by all means but name calling is not a great means of argument.

Here's the credit I'll give him. Gave us an excellent set of mid season results, signed a lot of players and left us in a mess at fortress Villa Park.

Are you on about Bruce or O'Neil northampton?
Very similar managers in the way they ran the team in very many ways. O'Neil has the advantage I think, in that he had players who knew how they were supposed to play. They both had put together squads, half of which never got a game.

It was you who used the stats to make your point Deano, not me. To me a fortress is what Villa Park was once for periods under Saunder’s tenure, it was Anfield for many years, probably now too, Old Trafford under Ferguson, Etiad etc. It certainly was not Villa Park under Bruce. And yes, that’s only my opinion but my opinion is as valid as yours on here (I hope). Disagree by all means but name calling is not a great means of argument.

Apologies for the name calling I'm having a tough day and it's out of character.

In all my time as a football fan I've only ever heard of a ground referred to as a fortress if its a place that is difficult for opposition teams to come and get a result. I thought that was the standard definition, and Villa Park has certainly been that under Bruce.

I guess we can all have our own opinions of what a fortress is. I'm just a little fed up of people trying to re-write history to not give Bruce any credit at all.

His time was up, he deserved to go, no argument there, but personally I think the way he turned us round and turned Villa park from easy pickings to a tough place to come to (whatever the division) deserves a little credit.

Are you on this planet?

He was in charge for 4 games.... they lost all 4 without scoring a single goal.

:slap:

I've just done some checking Deano and I do owe you an apology with regards to De Boer.
He had 5 games at Crystal Palace, won 3 points, which works out at 0.60 points per game.
It was at Ajax he had success gaining 2.02 points per game.

I'm always a bit bemused by the term "fortress" , as in we want Villa Park to be a fortress.
A fortress is a dour, static, defensive position. Just what we've had under Bruce. I'm all for letting the cavalry loose. A campaign of movement and pace to blitz the opposition.

According to todays press conference, who ever the new manager is will either be present or send a representative to milwall tomorrow.

fwiw well yep not nope
home record was
wolves 53 pts
Cardiff 52 pts
fortress Bruce 49 pts

I make both better home records (or more fortressy if you like)

still hey ho

fwiw well yep not nope
home record was
wolves 53 pts
Cardiff 52 pts
fortress Bruce 49 pts

I make both better home records (or more fortressy if you like)

still hey ho

Still sounds like a fortress to me, so all down to opinions. But why are we all still bickering about Bruce, he's left. Surely we can all argue over the new manager instead

Status
Not open for further replies.