Wigan 3 Sheff Weds 2 | Page 5 | Vital Football

Wigan 3 Sheff Weds 2

Just don't get carried away chaps. Joy has a habit, in football as in all aspects of life, of turning into despair.
Do you actually understand what it means to be a football fan? The whole point is that you should get carried away, in order to compensate for the kick in the balls that you know is just around the corner !

I wouldn't normally ask this .......... but were you there on Saturday?

No, Moonay, I wasn't there, nor have I ever been to a game, nor played the game, nor coached or refereed. I've never even read a match report or programme. In fact, I don't even exist - whereas you clearly do!

I think while we played Sheff Wed at a great time with their off the field issues, i think you're doing a bit of a diservice to say they weren't tough opposition. While there certainly will be tougher this season; Forrestieri is one of the very best players in the league, 6'5 Nehiu is one of the most physically tough players to play against, Bannan is quality, their wing back Reach cost nearly 6m and they are bringing 30k a week off the bench in Fletcher plus Joao is no slouch either. They looked a threat every time they went forward and they were miles ahead of anything we played last season in terms of quality - but i do think we made them look ordinary with the way we played rather than them not turning up.

Regarding getting punished more at the back, hopefully having some time in training to get to know each other better in the coming weeks will make a big difference and some of the mistakes and gaps left on Saturday will be ironed out.

Sorry, maybe it didn't come across, but I wasn't for a second saying they were poor, only that we'll face better. It was a fantastic 90+ minutes of football to which both sides contributed

Why so obtuse Notts. I asked a reasonable question in a civil manner. Playing, coaching or refereeing have nothing to do with this discussion either.

If you weren't there, and you were taking your emotions from listening to the radio, or following twitter or the Beeb, then it may be understandable,

Every other person who went to the game seem to be on the opposite side to your argument.

Last edited:
Brick, stop trying to make a mountain from a molehill.

mate. the debate that has folowed after you picked on notts statement and strate forward questeon (yep you started it) has been lively and proper. no swearing or name calling. some holier than thou atitudes tho but on the hole good banter. its whats forums are for. but this little snipet at the end

Every other person who went to the game seem to be on the opposite side to your argument.

have you asked them all then. :unsure:

mate. the debate that has folowed after you picked on notts statement and strate forward questeon (yep you started it) has been lively and proper. no swearing or name calling. some holier than thou atitudes tho but on the hole good banter. its whats forums are for. ...............

Yep, I fully agree (even including Notts' little tantrum post) ..........

have you asked them all then. :unsure:

Fair point. I should have qualified that statement with "posting on here".

Who is getting carried away though? Unless I've missed it no one has said anything other than it was a great performance. If anyone says we're going to win the league on the back of that one performance and I'll agree, but i've only seen people saying how much they enjoyed the way we played.

Anyway each to their own.

Why so obtuse Notts. I asked a reasonable question in a civil manner. Playing, coaching or refereeing have nothing to do with this discussion either.

If you weren't there, and you were taking your emotions from listening to the radio, or following twitter or the Beeb, then it may be understandable,

What argument? It was a great win, but I'll reserve judgement until a few games have gone. Many times in the past teams have started like a steam train only to be relegated at the end of the season. Trying to make a point to someone who's too fixed in their determination to see everything as an argument that must be won (e.g. you, Moonay), is not easy. I never thought I'd see you stoop so low as to use the 'were you at the game' though - very disappointing, hence my ironic comments (obtuse to you) in the previous post.

2 things.
Firstly, I used the word "argument" in the context of "one side of a a discussion". I thought you' have understood that.

Secondly ....... by querying your attendance, I was in now way questioning your support, loyalty, commitment or anything of the sort. I was merely considering whether it might be a factor in you having a different perception from just about every other poster on this thread (who presumably went to the match) .........maybe Brick excluded.

So, if you didn't go,......... we now understand why you have the point of view you do.

I quite like being in the minority, Moonay - doesn't make me wrong, which seems to be what you are trying to prove. I like discussion, but you have a habit of turning discussion into argument - argument, that is, where you are always right.

FFS !!!

This isn't particularly an issue of right and wrong.......but even if it were, I already admitted in my response to your first post that you were right. Irrespective though, it seems that all those who went (and have posted on this thread) thought that the game was a joy.

No argument to be had Notts. ......no matter how much you might try.

. I was merely considering whether it might be a factor in you having a different perception from just about every other poster on this thread (who presumably went to the match) .........maybe Brick excluded.

oi. i think youll see that ive sed erlier that it were awreet. didnt sey it were crap or spectacular. it were a win. i came into this cos of the flippant wey you responded to a reesonable statement folowed by a reesonable questeon from notts. nowt else. the game were awreet. we won. they scored 2 and like tl4e sed erlier there were a bit at the end were we culd of thrown it away. twitchy bum at times.

and gues what. ive been to the dw before when weve won games. it really is no big deal. and you no what. i think we ll win agen over the seeson. but with the amount of gushing going on heer at the mo. next time i come on heer ill were my waders.

Get back in your box Brick. You never said you thought it was a joy, hence me singling you out.

I rceokn it's ginog to be a long saeosn!

Get back in your box Brick. You never said you thought it was a joy, hence me singling you out.

I rceokn it's ginog to be a long saeosn!

"oi. i think youll see that ive sed erlier that it were awreet. didnt sey it were crap or spectacular. "

this bit being the giveaway i supose

long seeson? if this sort of scrutiny goes on itll be longer than a 1976 summer.

anyway. laters matey.

Early days, yet. Can they produce the goods on a long term basis? That's the question.

I’m just happy that we played well on the day, and that certain players who’ve been desperate to prove a point to their doubters performed admirably and saw off strong opposition.

Without trying to sound facetetious, I hope those who insist nobody gets ahead of themselves based on one strong performance (they’re right) practice what they preach at the weekend if we lose to Villa.

Changing tack slightly......... I'd have loved to have read Vat 69's take on things.

Not only did he have us down for struggling, he reckoned there was no team spirit (though he wouldn't reveal his source!).

If only the daft bugger hadn't played his Danny Dyer card, that would have been an interesting debate.