Wigan 3 Sheff Weds 2 | Page 4 | Vital Football

Wigan 3 Sheff Weds 2

Stop protesting Notts. Joy is is simply "happiness" and "pleasure".

The examples you quote are of absolute unadulterated joy, verging on ecstasy.

You've already been told by a few that they felt, and saw in others, joy on Saturday.

Be happy that they did.

I still think the emotion that most of us felt was intense relief. We kind of expected the worst, following a pretty unimpressive pre season campaign, an unproven squad with a couple of unproven additions, and playing a team that were/are an unknown quantity. We found that we were dominant against an average Sheffield side, even though they could have, undeservedly, got something from the game. For us to get all three points surprised us in a pleasant rather than joyous way.

It reminds me how we all overreacted to the England team in the World Cup. People were overjoyed when we beat the likes of Tunisia and Panama. We expected so little from the England team, so that a win on penalties against moderate opposition suddenly had us all throwing beer ( what a waste) all over the place. Whilst I enjoyed the game on Saturday, I wouldn't say that I felt joyous. Whereas this weather is definitely joyful!!!

Notts, fair enough, we all know what a miserable git you are, full of negativity, so to see you try to put a dampener on things I can, in a feeling sorry for you kind of way, accept to a point. But to say it's a match we could have lost pushes your credibility to a new low.

I still think the emotion that most of us felt was intense relief. We kind of expected the worst, following a pretty unimpressive pre season campaign, an unproven squad with a couple of unproven additions, and playing a team that were/are an unknown quantity. We found that we were dominant against an average Sheffield side, even though they could have, undeservedly, got something from the game. For us to get all three points surprised us in a pleasant rather than joyous way.

It reminds me how we all overreacted to the England team in the World Cup. People were overjoyed when we beat the likes of Tunisia and Panama. We expected so little from the England team, so that a win on penalties against moderate opposition suddenly had us all throwing beer ( what a waste) all over the place. Whilst I enjoyed the game on Saturday, I wouldn't say that I felt joyous. Whereas this weather is definitely joyful!!!

its no good trying to be rationel with the clappers notts. balance aint a word put into there dictionery yet. even moonay thowt it were unexpected and quickly turned his opineon round when he saw that swallow fly over the dw pitch.

its funny tho how some seen it. just like the old joke. when did being a legend turn from pulling a sword out of a rock to coming home from the offy with an unexpected packet of crisps. peeple see things diferent i suppose.

Notts, fair enough, we all know what a miserable git you are, full of negativity, so to see you try to put a dampener on things I can, in a feeling sorry for you kind of way, accept to a point. But to say it's a match we could have lost pushes your credibility to a new low.
Chet, of course I was happy that we won, but I'll save the ecstasy for the end of season when we've won promotion or (more likely) we've won our last game to stay up! Get things in perspective, mate.

To be fair Chet i would say the we could have lost quote actually destroys all credibility!!

Chet, of course I was happy that we won, but I'll save the ecstasy for the end of season when we've won promotion or (more likely) we've won our last game to stay up! Get things in perspective, mate.

Who said anything about ecstasy? People were joyful on Saturday and it made people's weekends so much better. But your instinct was to try and drag it down. I have all the perspective I need.

Just cannot understand the mentality of people who when they see a bunch of happy people there first thought is how can they put a dampner on it! surely you can allow folk to be happy for just one week,and then if we lose at Villa you can drag your negativity back onto the board!

Why is it negative? I'm always happy when Latics win, and wins do have a positive effect on our demeanour - goes without saying. However, as you say, the next game could see us losing - bad weekend/week as a consequence. When we experience an event which is unexpected the consequential effects on us can be disproportionately inflated. That is, if we are expecting to lose, but we win our feeling of 'joy' is exaggerated. If, on the other hand, we experience a defeat instead of the win we were expecting, then our feeling of depression is likely to be amplified.

Dangerous game, football - breaks your limbs as well as your mind !

"Whilst I enjoyed the game on Saturday, ....."

.......and there you have it. Without getting into a needless English lesson, you have literally said that you took joy from the game. Don't be ashamed of it. Pleasant, pleasure, pleasing ........all effectively mean "give joy".

Brick, stop trying to make a mountain from a molehill.

Last edited:
Yes the next game could could see us losing. The next few could see us losing. So why the hell look for the downside following a win? Just enjoy it. Maybe not until next week but for a few days at least. It will be interesting to see if you look for a positive in defeat in the same way as you look for a negative in victory.

"Whilst I enjoyed the game on Saturday, ....."

.......and there you have it. Without getting into a needless English lesson, you have literally said that you took joy from the game. Don't be ashamed of it. Pleasant, pleasure, pleasing ........all effectively mean "five joy".

Brick, stop trying to make a mountain from a molehill.
As you well know, Moonay, to experience joy - a state of intense happiness - is a much stronger emotion than to enjoy (take delight) something. Of course I enjoyed the game, but I enjoy every game, albeit slightly less when we lose. Football does provide is with moments of joy - scoring a goal in 5 - a - side, watching Ben Watson score that goal etc. I don't feel that Saturday gave me a feeling of intense happiness, that's all. Enjoyment, yes, of course.

You're arguing over semantics here chaps - joy, delight, euthoria, ecstasy etc all effectively mean the same. It's upto the individual how they classify such a word against benchmark moments in their life.

I must I was delighted with most aspects of our performance on Saturday, but most of all our approach to the game. For the first time in about 90 odd games in this league we took the game to the opposition and played with purpose and intent. It was a thoroughly deserved three points but more importantly good that we got the reward our efforts deserved. I understand where Notts is coming from however, it is but one game and there are tougher challenges ahead so it's important to retain a sense of perspective with these things.

You're making up your own definitions now Notts !

Let's agree to disagree. No-one's getting carried away. I'm off to Villa next week,and I expect us to lose ..........we might even lose against Forest too (though I miss that game). Bottom line though is that if we can continue to play something like we did on Saturday, showing the same team spirit, camaraderie & togetherness, we've got a decent chance of doing OK. There'll be ups and downs, but that's exactly why I (& I suspect others) intend to enjoy the joy of those ups as much as I can.

MiW, perspective is fully and totally retained & in place ........ but I bet even you came off smiling on Saturday.
;)

People, even us deranged and demented happy clappers, have maintained a sense of perspective. We've all readily admitted we'll face much bigger challenges than Saturday and a few drubbings may well take place. We just choose to let the good feelings of a match like Saturdays wash over us a bit and take in the good feelings it brings.

Perspective is the word. We will face tougher opposition (but we didn't on Saturday), we will get punished at the back (but we outscored the opposition this week), we won't be able to be so free flowing and attack minded against the top sides (but we were this weekend). It's a saying straight from the managers hand book, but we'll enjoy this one and then move on to the next. I've not heard any over reactions from anyone, but what's wrong with celebrating a win and good feeling about the place when we've had such a hideous recent past at this level

I certainly did Moonay, though whether that was down to wind im not sure. Whether it was joy, ecstasy or whatever I don't know and quite honestly don't care! We won and played well at this level for the first time since April 2014 and it felt like a weight had been lifted. We could well get dicked at Villa, but the manner in which we approached Saturday gives me hope we'll continue to be positive in the main and we won't have to endure the tedium we have done in recent seasons at this level, whatever the matchday results.

To say it was just relief is not doing the performance justice - it was a performance that exceed expecations by some distance. If you'd have asked any of us to say what we'd have thought would happen the night before with a back line thrown together over night and lack lustre preseason some of us might have fancied us for a win, but I imagine not one of us would've likely said we'd come out all guns blazing and look so fluid.

Only on this board could an argument break out about if one of the best performances we've seen at this level in years was good enough to be classed as joy or just enjoyable. It's not over reacting it's just people being very impressed and proud of a fantastic performance. Let's just make the most of it for this week as we don't get many games like that. I'm sure there will be some negative stuff to worry about soon, just take the postivity for what it is while we have some.

Perspective is the word. We will face tougher opposition (but we didn't on Saturday), we will get punished at the back (but we outscored the opposition this week), we won't be able to be so free flowing and attack minded against the top sides (but we were this weekend). It's a saying straight from the managers hand book, but we'll enjoy this one and then move on to the next. I've not heard any over reactions from anyone, but what's wrong with celebrating a win and good feeling about the place when we've had such a hideous recent past at this level

I think while we played Sheff Wed at a great time with their off the field issues, i think you're doing a bit of a diservice to say they weren't tough opposition. While there certainly will be tougher this season; Forrestieri is one of the very best players in the league, 6'5 Nehiu is one of the most physically tough players to play against, Bannan is quality, their wing back Reach cost nearly 6m and they are bringing 30k a week off the bench in Fletcher plus Joao is no slouch either. They looked a threat every time they went forward and they were miles ahead of anything we played last season in terms of quality - but i do think we made them look ordinary with the way we played rather than them not turning up.

Regarding getting punished more at the back, hopefully having some time in training to get to know each other better in the coming weeks will make a big difference and some of the mistakes and gaps left on Saturday will be ironed out.