Wigan 3 Sheff Weds 2 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Wigan 3 Sheff Weds 2

9500 Wigan 4700 Wednesday. Last opening game in Championship was 12,200 and we won that day 3-0.
A similar home turnout as Rovers brought far fewer that day than Wednesday today.

If you were one of the casuals who couldn't be arsed going today you seriously missed out. That performance today was the reason we go to watch football.

Hopefully a few more will turn up next time on the back of that.

Excellent performance - its great to see players like Jacobs and Massey proving their critics wrong and showcasing their skills to great effect.

A fast-paced, enthralling attacking performance that produced countless chances against sturdy championship opposition and easily warranted more goals than the three scored.

Not bad for a team filled with 'League One players' that allegedly lack the quality to play at the level above!!

Delighted with that performance and result today. It has given me all the fans and im sure it will give all of the players the belief that they can compete at this level.

Gibson was also my MOTM, he was excellent today, really feel he will help Morsy out loads in that midfield this season as he can play in an out and out DM midfield role allowing Morsy to focus more on being a ball winning midfielder.

Also Robinson impressed me a lot too. Was happy with his surging runs forward and also his anticipation when coming back to help out in defence. Looks like we have found ourselves a good player there.

Reece James did well too, a few mistakes here and there but also some very good bits too. I can forgive the mistakes though as he is a young lad at 18 who is jumping up from youth football to senior football and it is a huge step up. Kipre had a decent game too, at fault for first goal but some good bits too and again i can forgive mistakes given he has only trained once with the team so far.

As for rest, Dunkley excellent, Massey also played well, Jacobs excellent and Grigg despite not scoring also had a great game.

All in all very pleasing. Roll on the Villa next weekend!

Gibson oozed class and he’s going to be a top player for us. He’s made mistakes but let’s give the lad a chance and embrace his talent. He was head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch. Well done gaffer in recognising talent again. Cook is proving to be a top manager.

I said Nick Powell would get 10 goals and at least 10 assists if he stays with us and stays fit all season. He already has one of each. Jacobs already has over half of his overall Championship goal tally of two years ago.

If you were one of the casuals who couldn't be arsed going today you seriously missed out. That performance today was the reason we go to watch football.

Hopefully a few more will turn up next time on the back of that.

not that I couldn't be ARSED some folk work at weekends has previously stated we all don't have mon Fri jobs or are retired like some folk

not that I couldn't be ARSED some folk work at weekends has previously stated we all don't have mon Fri jobs or are retired like some folk

But i never critasised anyone who works weekends or accused anyone who has legitimate commitments that causes them to miss games as not being arsed did I? I'm as dedicated as anyone but even i have to miss some games for work, the comment was about those fans who claim to support Wigan and only pop out of the woodwork when there's a bit of glory to be had and the rest of the time can't be arsed.

After reading progress reports about how Gibson was progressing I was filled with trepidation before the game. None of it ...I thought the lad was excellent and looked every inch a premier league player and with him sitting deeper this allowed Sam to roam further up the pitch which always produces a shit load of chances when this happens.

In another thread moonay describes young Robinson as " shit off a shovel "... just about sums the lad up and he was another you exceeded expectation.

They weren't great and tougher tests await but it is a good start.

Good to start off with 3 points on the board, but we all know that there are greater challenges and tougher games ahead. Pleased i decided to get a season ticket.

Jacobs played like a man on a mission to prove a lot of people wrong including me! Hopefully he continues in that way. Maybe the serious competition to keep his spot is helping him. Ditto Massey. McManaman, potentially Jordan Graham are waiting in the wings.

But i never critasised anyone who works weekends or accused anyone who has legitimate commitments that causes them to miss games as not being arsed did I? I'm as dedicated as anyone but even i have to miss some games for work, the comment was about those fans who claim to support Wigan and only pop out of the woodwork when there's a bit of glory to be had and the rest of the time can't be arsed.

Like Oscarbon.

After reading progress reports about how Gibson was progressing I was filled with trepidation before the game. None of it ...I thought the lad was excellent and looked every inch a premier league player and with him sitting deeper this allowed Sam to roam further up the pitch which always produces a shit load of chances when this happens.

In another thread moonay describes young Robinson as " shit off a shovel "... just about sums the lad up and he was another you exceeded expectation.

They weren't great and tougher tests await but it is a good start.

I was all for giving Gibson a chance initially as i knew he was once a top player but after Tranmere and Rangers i just thought the lads legs have gone / his injuries had ruined him and he didn't have the energy and could barely run. I was disapointed he was given a deal and gutted when he started ahead of Power but it was like watching a totally different player - and he made our main man Morsy (who was also very good) seem a lot less significant such was his influence.

I saw the player who my Everton friends waxed lyrical about under Moyes. Maybe Gibson was carrying a knock, or he was over trained and fatigued after not playing football since January or maybe he just really couldn't be arsed with friendlies - but whatever it was. If anyone saw Gibson in preseason but missed the Sheffield game yesterday you'd have been pretty shocked with the transformation.

As for Robinson - the lad was the left back we've been dreaming of on that showing. Electric pace, loves to bomb forward and get involved with attacks while looked very assured at the back. I'm stunned such a young lad with so few games looks such the finished article on his debut. Absolutely blown away with him - no wonder Bolton fans were so upset they missed out on him.

Excellent performance - its great to see players like Jacobs and Massey proving their critics wrong and showcasing their skills to great effect.

A fast-paced, enthralling attacking performance that produced countless chances against sturdy championship opposition and easily warranted more goals than the three scored.

Not bad for a team filled with 'League One players' that allegedly lack the quality to play at the level above!!
Early days, yet. Can they produce the goods on a long term basis? That's the question.

Notts, you're right. Of course you're right. We all know you're right. You're also missing the point by a country mile.

Yesterday was a joy.......and an unexpected one at that. I reckon everyone who went to the game came off buzzing. We knew we hadn't won the league, but we'd put in a decent performance, with 3 good - nay, excellent - debuts, and took a well deserved 3 points. Life was good....... in fact, it was bloody fantastic.

So, yes, you're right.......... but I don't think anyone gives a shit just at the moment.
?

All about tempo and the tempo was upped a degree or two from last season and that can make a difference between a great win and a workmanlike ugly victory.

All about tempo and the tempo was upped a degree or two from last season and that can make a difference between a great win and a workmanlike ugly victory.
As i said on a previous post, I believe this shows the difference when a team come to get a result instead of putting 9 or 10 men behind the ball and relying on breakaways. The game was open instead of being stifled by massed defences or two banks of 4 which are notoriously difficult to break down and result in a frustrating game. We are likely to get more of this in the Championship as we are not seen as a "big scalp" to take