US Politics Thread | Page 629 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

With Biden, it overlooks the stammering issue though and that covers his issues perfectly.

I really don't think it does cover his issues. He forgets what he is saying half way though a sentence, then it becomes an (internal) panic trying to get back on track and often you then end in a ramble because you think the point you were trying to make will come to you.

I know he has those moments but they are rare really, but watching that stammering prog on the BBC (maybe 2 months ago, I know it was discussed on here as it was quite an eye opener) it's just as likely he sort of freezes whilst he's planning ahead on what words to avoid.

It doesn't help that he's naturally a waffler though I agree, I just don't see anything more major than that when you watch others thinking on their feet in similar positions.

He's always been the same when you watch old clips of him, I just don't see a difference or a deterioration that makes it an issue.

It's a motor thing. Listen to him talk in the 80s and 90s, he was far more lucid, but was still prone. It has worsened with age. It doesn't however mean he's stupid and incapable.

Exactly. It's just getting harder to mask the stutter, with age. Mentally, he is reported to be as sharp as ever.

Before he was elected, yes. If he is senile (which I’m not suggesting he is), it would be in Russia’s advantage to now keep him in power but tell everyone how wonderful he is

I just don't see such a big pivot. Putin's best bet is to push the theory Trump was better, and should still be President. His security forces are still working to that end.

It's a motor thing. Listen to him talk in the 80s and 90s, he was far more lucid, but was still prone. It has worsened with age. It doesn't however mean he's stupid and incapable.

No, for sure, and 100% not the point I was making, because if I was, I would also be talking about myself.

However, when you come over confused, forget what you are saying, the words get stuck (again, I'm talking from experience as well as observing him) it is very difficult to speak with clarity, and hard to think with clarity at times as well.

Mental health most certainly does not mean stupid though, and with the right back up and support, it also doesn't mean incapable. However, at that age, with those issues, and taking on one of the biggest jobs in the world, one has to wonder - much like us with Johnson/Corbyn - how USA couldn't do better than someone with clear mental illness issues (Trump) and someone with mental capacity issues (Biden)

Mental health most certainly does not mean stupid though, and with the right back up and support, it also doesn't mean incapable. However, at that age, with those issues, and taking on one of the biggest jobs in the world, one has to wonder - much like us with Johnson/Corbyn - how USA couldn't do better than someone with clear mental illness issues (Trump) and someone with mental capacity issues (Biden)

The best we can hope for is that he is leveraging a strong team and seems like he has made some attempt at that.

For amusement and relief for our American friends especially - with apologies to Mike whose been Trump free for a while, he says

I think that's where the years in politics has paid dividends. He hit the ground running, knowing what needed doing and who could get it done.

Yup, I won't claim to know even 10% of the names he's appointed...but they all have experience across a few fronts, most know the job they have been given well from previous spells in 'that department' and so on and he's getting things done bloody quickly given so much is going on.

Arguably he's already done more than Obama managed, but that's a bit nuanced as so much was simply tearing up and reversing Trump's batshit stuff.

He's far from perfect and I also more than agree with others who have commented it shows the state of politics in the US that he and Trump were the frontrunners - but it's much like the UK in that sense, we really need some quality younger blood where those like Biden (over here Ken Clarke et al) can be advisors for their experience, as opposed to the options for the job.

Kamala 'car crash' Harris.

What don't you like about the interview?

The whole immigration thing is madness. Employers can't fill vacancies and there are people desperate for jobs lined up outside the fence. South America is such a fucked up mess that people are willing to put their kids into the hands of people smugglers to get them out. How bad would things have to be for your to hand your kids over to people smugglers?