US Politics Thread | Page 793 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

No barbs about how religious the orange adulterating rapist is.

He's now selling the Bible to praise the US constitution, because obviously God and Jesus were American.

So many jokes, must resist.

No barbs about how religious the orange adulterating rapist is.

He's now selling the Bible to praise the US constitution, because obviously God and Jesus were American.

So many jokes, must resist.

Just heard about it from my mate on the way back from town tonight.

60 quid a pop? lol, anything to fund those legal bills. "Let's make America pray again" 😂

Anyway, God is Irish and Jesus plays for Man City.

Jennifer Rubin in "The Washington Post" makes the point that not all Trump's bad behaviour is criminal.

Not every situation calls for us to play “name that crime.” Framing the discussion that way drains Trump’s reprehensible conduct of its moral dimension and minimizes his threat to democracy. He then winds up getting a pass if his behavior cannot be characterized as a violation of a specific statute or court order.

Jennifer Rubin in "The Washington Post" makes the point that not all Trump's bad behaviour is criminal.

Not every situation calls for us to play “name that crime.” Framing the discussion that way drains Trump’s reprehensible conduct of its moral dimension and minimizes his threat to democracy. He then winds up getting a pass if his behavior cannot be characterized as a violation of a specific statute or court order.

It doesn't matter, his supporters don't care we already know that and they think his lack of integrity is funny. I think the moral compass thing is out the window because the US doesn't have one. Bidens inability to bring about a meaningful ceasefire in Gaza is a greater moral infringement than all of Trumps priors put together.

However I know Trump would be even worse than Biden for the people of Gaza but there are millions of people in the US that are under the false impression that if they vote for Trump it'll send a message to the Democrats "to do better".

Trumps appeal is this enormous blindspot none of the media or big institutions really seem to understand and IMO this is another example. The Republicans have gotten pretty good at pulling at the fringes of some demographics. Democrats don't have a proper strategy, it's basically "vote for us because we're better than them".

You really have to wonder with the Democrats because if they made the sort of coordinated attempt like the Republicans do they'd do so much better. Its genuinely like they don't want to win, they seem to want this perpetual state of gridlock so they can campaign for change that will never happen. e.g. guns! If Biden made a proper go at this ceasefire and fixing things over there he'd win by a landslide but they wont do it.

I disagree on Biden, you he can't put a gun to Bibi's head (and I've said previously Bibi wants Trump back because he's a soft bellied prick who would let him do this without the shouting from the side). And having listened to Cameron today with Blinken, the West Ham fan who travelled to Birmingham to watch games needs better legal advice - I assume it was the same folks who cleared Greenslade, and told Suella that Patel wasn't strong enough and we needed our immigrants to invade Rwanda.

I see the Dems as fragmented on how liberal they want to be but their message has never been great as they think 'peeps get it, we don't need to mansplain'. The Reps however prefer the gridlock, as they don't have to govern or do anything of note, or anything that can be criticised. Even in power under Trump, the new Rep party was the party of opposition - shouting about shit that wasn't real, didn't happen (but their neighbours cousin in a State 3 million miles away once Tweeted it did).

Otherwise I agree.

Am I the only one quietly impressed with a certainly Mr Johnson and his efforts to work around the batshit Reps and their TDS.

I thought he'd be a complete wet blanket and a complete Trump suck up, but he's got more backbone than I thought, but he also seems to be balancing it with US concerns - and well, doing his job even though I don't agree with everything he's on record saying.

More headloss in the states. Universities are calling cops on their own students peacefully protesting the situation in Gaza. They’ve probably inadvertently caused something that will be enormous now.

I can imagine a national day of protest by college aged kids all over the states in the near future.

Control might be lost soon.

I thought Mike Johnson's intervention was truly inspired personally.

I was inspired by how someone can completely miss the fucking point, and it was only the other day I praised the prick.

Not sure control will be lost in the context I read it mate, but it's not over for sure. Biden has already backed the students I believe.

Are you listening Bibi?

More headloss in the states. Universities are calling cops on their own students peacefully protesting the situation in Gaza. They’ve probably inadvertently caused something that will be enormous now.

I can imagine a national day of protest by college aged kids all over the states in the near future.

Control might be lost soon.

This is a bit of a hot take but bear with me.

When I look at the US I often see a faint reflection of the Nazis. The only time I've seen so many flags at political rallies, they were being led by Hitler. When I look at the militarism and quest for patriotism, I see Nazis. When I see students being arrested by armed police for opposing the national foreign policy, I see Nazis.

It's not America = Nazis. It's much more subtle than that but the echo is there.

It's pretty freaky when you see it.

Apparently the storm troopers charging in on unarmed students and journalists are the same ones that sat around outside the school in Ulvalde that got shot up.

They wouldn't go into a school when they could hear the screams of children getting mown down but put a load of teenagers protesting in front of them and suddenly they're the Coldstream guards at Waterloo.

This is a bit of a hot take but bear with me.

When I look at the US I often see a faint reflection of the Nazis. The only time I've seen so many flags at political rallies, they were being led by Hitler. When I look at the militarism and quest for patriotism, I see Nazis. When I see students being arrested by armed police for opposing the national foreign policy, I see Nazis.

It's not America = Nazis. It's much more subtle than that but the echo is there.

It's pretty freaky when you see it.
Yes its quite an authoritarian state, Austin is the bluest city in the freest state in the freest country. Obviously that's all a joke but this is how the Texans see themselves and America. The book banning alone tells you almost everything you need to know about the states.

I often wonder what is by design and what is just an unintended consequence. The militarization of the police is a big one. The war on terror gave the local cops big fat budgets which they struggled to spend on normal police equipment and activities. And like every company I've ever worked for they have a "use it or lose it" budget. If you want to keep getting your big fat budget you need to keep spending. The story goes the military-industrial complex started to target the cops knowing they had unspent budgets and this how we end up with small towns having APCs and weapon rooms full of m16s.

The Defund the Police crowd are on to something they just haven't packaged it right. The cops seem to respond to every call the opposite way you'd want them to as a citizen.

Re: the flags and nazism and so on, that's a whole other thing. I am not sure how to even tackle that statement but I get what you're saying. And I think the truth is there are elements of that in American society. There are a lot of American Nationalists but its white Americans and whiteness. And that is essentially Nazism, I think its simultaneously a lot of people but also not a lot. Like as a % of society its not that many but because there are 300m people its an enormously large amount of people in pure numbers.

Are you listening Bibi?
Yer boy Bibi flat out lying again!

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu denounced “antisemitism on campuses in the United States” in a video statement released just hours after pro-Palestine Harvard students began staging an encampment in Harvard Yard on Wednesday.

Netanyahu slammed university administrators for not doing more to stop the campus protests and called for widespread condemnation of the demonstrations.

“What’s happening on American college campuses is horrific. Antisemitic mobs have taken over leading universities,” Netanyahu said. “It’s unconscionable. It has to be stopped. It has to be condemned and condemned unequivocally.”

There has been no violence or physical confrontations at Wednesday’s protest in Harvard Yard. Walter Johnson, a History professor at Harvard serving as a police liaison for the protestors on campus, said that there has been “no tense communication” between police and protestors since protests began.

Yer boy Bibi flat out lying again!

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu denounced “antisemitism on campuses in the United States” in a video statement released just hours after pro-Palestine Harvard students began staging an encampment in Harvard Yard on Wednesday.

Netanyahu slammed university administrators for not doing more to stop the campus protests and called for widespread condemnation of the demonstrations.

“What’s happening on American college campuses is horrific. Antisemitic mobs have taken over leading universities,” Netanyahu said. “It’s unconscionable. It has to be stopped. It has to be condemned and condemned unequivocally.”

There has been no violence or physical confrontations at Wednesday’s protest in Harvard Yard. Walter Johnson, a History professor at Harvard serving as a police liaison for the protestors on campus, said that there has been “no tense communication” between police and protestors since protests began.

I must admit I ignore the prick when he speaks now most of the time as it's like listening to a fundamental Trump or Boris with the amount of bullshit and spin at play.

From the US pictures I've seen the vast majority on whatever campus it was were white. There was nothing anti semetic or pro Hamas. It was about the innocent people, and shock horror one non-white bloke interviewed made that point it was about innocent deaths, and also made sure he was heard making the point that his heart went out to those innocent Israeli's who had lost their lives, or had been taken hostage and they needed to be freed ASAP so the senseless violence could end.

Hardly the one sided argument some would like to present.