US Politics Thread | Page 616 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

It was a set aside as a 10 square mile plot to host the Government. I suspect they never expected the population to grow quite so much!!!

Knew, or at least thought, it was something to do with neutrality or perceived independence but it never tallied given the population. lol :thumbup:

Bit of an oversight really - seat of Gov kind of requires people to work there.

Knew, or at least thought, it was something to do with neutrality or perceived independence but it never tallied given the population. lol :thumbup:

Bit of an oversight really - seat of Gov kind of requires people to work there.

Yeah, back then land didn't mean much, so it was a nice round number. They are just reducing DC itself to the Government buildings. The rest will be a new state.

It will still have more people than two other States.

Puerto Rico next!!!!

Yeah, back then land didn't mean much, so it was a nice round number. They are just reducing DC itself to the Government buildings. The rest will be a new state.

It will still have more people than two other States.

Puerto Rico next!!!!

Isn't it just gerrymandering? The same thing Democrats accuse Republicans of all the time?

2 new senators from Washington DC and another 2 from Puerto Rico are guaranteed to be blue.

Then when Don Jnr becomes President he will look to break up Alabama into 3 states so that the Republicans get an extra 4 and so on.

Isn't it just gerrymandering? The same thing Democrats accuse Republicans of all the time?

2 new senators from Washington DC and another 2 from Puerto Rico are guaranteed to be blue.

Then when Don Jnr becomes President he will look to break up Alabama into 3 states so that the Republicans get an extra 4 and so on.

Everyone gerrymanders. It's part of their system. Only Republicans use it to make voting harder, though.

This is giving thousands a vote, who currently do not have one. They contribute in every way the same as the rest of the country, but get no say.

They should merge some of the Red States. They don't have enough people to warrant 2 Senators.

And Don Jr would need both the House and Senate to do anything like that, which is highly unlikely (assuming he's not in prison).

Nope. There are 700,000 citizens that live in DC proper. That's 700,000 Americans who have no representation in the senate and a non voting representative in the house. That doesn't seem right to me, the whole taxation without representation. I've heard that somewhere before....

From Wiki: The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that the district's population was 705,749 as of July 2019, an increase of more than 100,000 people since the 2010 United States Census.[11] This continues a growth trend since 2000, following a half-century of population decline.[110] The city was the 24th most populous place in the United States as of 2010.[111] According to data from 2010, commuters from the suburbs increase the district's daytime population to over a million.[112] If the district were a state it would rank 49th in population, ahead of Vermont and Wyoming.[113]

The Washington Metropolitan Area, which includes the district and surrounding suburbs, is the sixth-largest metropolitan area in the United States with an estimated six million residents in 2014.[114] When the Washington area is included with Baltimore and its suburbs, the Baltimore–Washington Metropolitan Area had a population exceeding 9.6 million residents in 2016, the fourth-largest combined statistical area in the country.[115]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.

Republicans admit they gerrymander, it's the only way they can stay in power. Here's a shocking read on what they've done. https://www.salon.com/2019/12/30/the-decade-republicans-hijacked-our-democracy-via-gerrymandering/

Some "highlights" include:

"As this decade comes to a close, 59 million Americans live in a state where one or both chambers of the state legislature is controlled by the party that got fewer votes in the 2018 election.

In Wisconsin in 2018, voters elected a Democratic U.S. senator, defeated an incumbent Republican governor, picked Democrats for every statewide office, and favored Democratic candidates for the state assembly by more than 200,000 ballots. Republicans nevertheless controlled more than 63 percent of the seats..."

"White men make up a smaller slice of the American electorate with each election. Yet they maintain outsized power in Congress and state legislatures. A new decade dawns with a crisis of representation that threatens the integrity of representative democracy itself..."

Why are Americans so obsessed with a constitution that has been changed 27 odd times in recent history to suit the elected and things the majority decided would be a good idea?

Ron Christie is normally a very level headed bloke and he admitted he was all for Washington to finally have representation, but he didn't want it to come from Congress because that would 'offend' the Constitution?

Because 'the framers never intentioned this 'they should look at the 23rd amendment which was ratified in 1961!!!! I doubt the framers thought about 1961 either.

The Constitution is one of the main reason the country is in such a state (no pun) as they revere it when it suits - ie gun laws (nobody mention a well trained militia).

:shrug:

Why are Americans so obsessed with a constitution that has been changed 27 odd times in recent history to suit the elected and things the majority decided would be a good idea?

Ron Christie is normally a very level headed bloke and he admitted he was all for Washington to finally have representation, but he didn't want it to come from Congress because that would 'offend' the Constitution?

Because 'the framers never intentioned this 'they should look at the 23rd amendment which was ratified in 1961!!!! I doubt the framers thought about 1961 either.

The Constitution is one of the main reason the country is in such a state (no pun) as they revere it when it suits - ie gun laws (nobody mention a well trained militia).

bUt MaH fReeDUms! Most politicians are older white men and historically they've been the majority and have always gotten what they wanted. Now they are terrified and don't want just anyone to change the constitution (even though it was designed to do just that) because someone who isn't looking out for them might change it and they might not keep their power.

I think it would be safe to say most Americans have never read the constitution, have no idea how any amendments it currently has, other than the 1st and 2nd. We are a country of racist idiots and extremely uneducated people who are afraid of people who do not look like them.

Our founding fathers didn't want career politicians and here we are. The big problem is the inmates (elected officials of both parties) are running the asylum. The majority of Americans believe there should be term limits, lobbyist and special interest groups have no business in politics, politicians should have social security and medicare not their own programs that the citizens pay for but don't have access to it. But these elected officials will never vote against any of those benefits because they wouldn't receive funding from their party or support from anyone. Our country is broken and I don't know if it can be put back together.

Totally agree, even from my more ignorant standpoint here Siggy.

You reference medicare - I think Obama did a sterling job getting what he did through given the opposition, but what he managed to get through wasn't what he actually proposed in the first place Which is ironic given Trump's medicare bill never saw the outside of his penis despite his control - yet there was barely a critical look at his tax bill and the fallout there (due about now even without Covid) given the uproar about Covid security cheques.

It's just a madness....we have enough over here and our Gov are embroiled in lobbying issues at the moment as well but don't care about it - but you certainly supersize over there!

The one thing I would say, is the UK is an established country and we're still fucked up on a class system basis that's as clear as mud today as it was in the 1700's. The US is very much a younger country still finding it's way, I'd say at this stage you don't so much need fixing per se - you need to learn a little bit quicker, get away from the ingrained racism and catch up and definitely get away from the big bollocks bully routine that is often pulled by your President's with the uber patriotism and 'best in the world' routine.

Thankfully I'd say Biden is at least partially addressing that by not leading with his mouth on occasions but with his actions - it's not bully if it's by example and so on. But sadly all countries are broken...just in different areas and to different degrees.

Hope that makes sense, I'm beginning to ramble - at least you can vote for your equivalent of our House of Lords, ours get appointments by favour, bribes, falling on your sword for the benefit of someone else, sexual pleasure (probably features somewhere) or simply in the hope of outnumbering the other party for a few years.

I suspect it's because they don't have a king or a state religion so the founding fathers have been elevated to God-like status.

I read a great bit of geopolitical analysis about America and Russia. Basically, Putin and his KGB gang have been robbing their country blind for around 3 decades but time is running out for them. They are worried about the Chinese encroachment on Siberia and their inability to defend such an enormous area. They are causing a fuss over Ukraine because they want attention.

They want the US's blessing to walk off into the sunset with their trillions in exchange for Russian support against the Chinese.

Biden will meet Putin soon. If the meeting is announced as a success, we'll see a PR campaign to project Russia as part of Europe and Putin will step down soon after.

It's a little like the Bible situation. For some reason we attain a level of wisdom and knowledge to people who lived 2000 years ago and 200 years ago.

Yes they have wisdom and knowledge too but we're acting like things can never change or shouldn't change. I've always said this about guns the idea that a bunch of citizens with little training are going to stop the greatest army the world has ever known is laughable.

We have analogue institutions in a digital world. IMO countries are outdated, some centralized institutions are outdated and certain ways we go about our lives are outdated which COVID has revealed. For example, not everybody needs to go to an office everyday to work. We probably don't need huge stores full of inventory. This a different opinion but the Suez Canal being blocked shouldn't mean our logistics network gets fucked.

We don't want career politicians and maybe its a byproduct of the system being so old and beaucratic but Biden is showing his experience. A career politician like him actually knows how to get stuff done. He was actually right about that. When I think about myself where I've moved commission's every 2-2.5 years, at least 6 months of that I am pretty useless and ineffective because I don't know how anything works.

I don't think there is any one size fits all. There are going to be benefits to having some very experienced people who know what they are at but there is also a benefit to someone like AOC even if you don't like her. Government is just like any big company I suppose.

Last edited:
Totally agree, even from my more ignorant standpoint here Siggy.

You reference medicare - I think Obama did a sterling job getting what he did through given the opposition, but what he managed to get through wasn't what he actually proposed in the first place Which is ironic given Trump's medicare bill never saw the outside of his penis despite his control -

Don't even get me started on our healthcare. The quality is fantastic, but the cost is outrageous.

I see former economic advisor Kudlow has slotted seamlessly back into Fox news, ranting about Biden's green plan whilst talking about plant based beer.

200w.gif

https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...ds-execute-warrant-at-rudy-giulianis-nyc-home

Federal investigators have executed a search warrant at the Manhattan home of former President Trump’s attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani, a law enforcement official told the Associated Press on Wednesday.

Giuliani has been under investigation for several years over his business dealings in Ukraine. Details of the search were not immediately available, but it comes as the Justice Department continues its investigation into the former New York City mayor and staunch Trump ally.

https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...ds-execute-warrant-at-rudy-giulianis-nyc-home

Federal investigators have executed a search warrant at the Manhattan home of former President Trump’s attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani, a law enforcement official told the Associated Press on Wednesday.

Giuliani has been under investigation for several years over his business dealings in Ukraine. Details of the search were not immediately available, but it comes as the Justice Department continues its investigation into the former New York City mayor and staunch Trump ally.