Transfers - Jan 2024 | Page 93 | Vital Football

Transfers - Jan 2024

Almost every home produced player, who may have been with that club since 7/8/9 years of age has to face up to the day 'what comes next' when it comes to their future. Gallagher is no different. Once you / your agent/your family gets their head around it, you move on. Your first loyalty/Commitment is always to you career.
True. But it must make it that little bit harder to make the move from Chelsea to Spurs given the level of animosity they have towards to us.

You cut Eric and he bleeds Spurs, it will take him some time to adjust. I just hope now that he's fit, he can show the best of himself and move on. He probably has 4/5 years left in the game.
Despite all of the bashing from so called fans on here, he does come across as a good bloke.

Nice to see an Englishman and genuine gent go on from us to bigger and better things.

True. But it must make it that little bit harder to make the move from Chelsea to Spurs given the level of animosity they have towards to us.

Oh I wouldn't underestimate it, but he almost very nearly did a deal with Crystal palace, but the mess the chav's were in killed it off. So one suspects he's already had to come to terms with the prospect that Chelsea are willing to listen to offers.

It's likely the fact that we did make a direct club enquiry, that before that we'd sounded him out via his agent.

I guess we'll know soon enough, unless we're prepared to wait until the summer (and that wouldn't surprise me at all).

So, we address the here and now urgency (maybe even a younger easier, cheaper option to land), and look at him as strengthening our squad come the summer - probably letting Skip go elsewhere at the same time.

We all know how the Gallagher transfer will pan out. Chelsea will eventually crumble and offer him a new contract. They will make it sound like they are planning for the future. Not because they want to keep him but because it puts them back in control. He signs and picks up a payrise and any interested club then has to pay a big/huge transfer fee plus they will be having to negotiate a huge wage structure too.

Move on and find more like Sarr. On a fraction of the money, hungry and increasing his value and wages as he develops. Gallagher for me hasnt proven anything yet.

Regards Gallagher! I have just been reading an article saying that he is on Angies wanted list only at no5 though, the other's are....

1 - Bryan Crisante
2 - Morten Freudup
3 - Hayden Hackney
4 - Alex Scott

I do not know if anything I read is truthful but just thought I would pass it on. COYS

We all know how the Gallagher transfer will pan out. Chelsea will eventually crumble and offer him a new contract. They will make it sound like they are planning for the future. Not because they want to keep him but because it puts them back in control. He signs and picks up a payrise and any interested club then has to pay a big/huge transfer fee plus they will be having to negotiate a huge wage structure too.

Move on and find more like Sarr. On a fraction of the money, hungry and increasing his value and wages as he develops. Gallagher for me hasnt proven anything yet.
He wouldn't get a sniff when everyone is fit anyway. Can't see him being happy being a squad player.

I'd rather give Devine, Donnelly a run.

He wouldn't get a sniff when everyone is fit anyway. Can't see him being happy being a squad player.

Oh? Not a sniff eh?

C'mon, all fit with Maddison & Bentancur, he'd 1000% be next. He's playing like an 85m guy, and just imagine him in AngeBall...

The fact its even a thing is fantastic. And I dont think he'd just go anywhere, but I also know he's not weird about some Chelski loyalty or anything. As Ex said, he was all in with Palace until the shit surfaced and wrenched it up & away.

We def have some good looking lads coming thru, but they aint This Guy, not for years.

45m+ sounds like the price. I'd do it in less than a second at that.

I think we're in danger of being far too myopic when it comes to this question of 'being just a squad player'. We all need to change our thinking.

At top clubs, those who are focused on winning silverware, no player should or is led to expect to be a natural starter when they're signed.

Our clear intention to me is to add quality that can be worry-free rotated when a chance of tactics or suspensions and injuries dictate. i.e. no major drop in quality.

Ange is clearly thinking like a big club coach and managing and convincing recruits that this is exactly what we are/what we will become. Maybe that's because of the way he's come to the PL, maybe it's just because he sees what others don't.

It was Ange who first made reference to us being the only club to break into the elite since the PL started, so I don't think he is paying lip-service.

He sounds and looks to me that he totally believes this is what we are (as does levy as he said as much in his speech to the troops). So now his task is to build a squad with the huge increase in investment we've made in the last few years to consistently compete at the top level and be one of the clubs who can win silverware again.

How that fits with giving academy products their chance, I'm not sure, but I am sure he'll have to be more than a little convinced before he does.

Last edited:

We've seen this season injuries and suspensions mean plenty of minutes, Bissouma has been off the boil in recent games as well

Sarr will do well not to have second season dip, most players do.

He's a good option In my view.

For me, the key word is 'depth'. Ange doesn't seem to have 'squad players' but does have depth that he rotates. The bonus with Gallagher is he could actually fill in several positions as primarily number 8 or number 10. He's without question been one of Chavs' outstanding players this season and is out-performing £250m+ of midfield talent.

The more it rumbles on, the more I think Chelsea will allow him to leave this month if it means they can get the players they desperately need in the door before they start dealing with the FFP issues.

If our midfield consists of Bentancur, Maddison, Sarr, Bissouma, Gallagher and Lo Celso going into the last half of the season, we will be laughing.

Oh? Not a sniff eh?

C'mon, all fit with Maddison & Bentancur, he'd 1000% be next. He's playing like an 85m guy, and just imagine him in AngeBall...

The fact its even a thing is fantastic. And I dont think he'd just go anywhere, but I also know he's not weird about some Chelski loyalty or anything. As Ex said, he was all in with Palace until the shit surfaced and wrenched it up & away.

We def have some good looking lads coming thru, but they aint This Guy, not for years.

45m+ sounds like the price. I'd do it in less than a second at that.

"I also know he's not weird about some Chelski loyalty or anything."

You know this how?

For me, the key word is 'depth'. Ange doesn't seem to have 'squad players' but does have depth that he rotates. The bonus with Gallagher is he could actually fill in several positions as primarily number 8 or number 10. He's without question been one of Chavs' outstanding players this season and is out-performing £250m+ of midfield talent.

The more it rumbles on, the more I think Chelsea will allow him to leave this month if it means they can get the players they desperately need in the door before they start dealing with the FFP issues.

If our midfield consists of Bentancur, Maddison, Sarr, Bissouma, Gallagher and Lo Celso going into the last half of the season, we will be laughing.
Nkunku seems to be fucked, they need a forward even more

I think we're in danger of being far too myopic when it comes to this question of 'being just a squad player'. We all need to change our thinking.

At top clubs, those who are focused on winning silverware, no player should or is led to expect to be a natural starter when they're signed.

Our clear intention to me is to add quality that can be worry-free rotated when a chance of tactics or suspensions and injuries dictate. i.e. no major drop in quality.

Ange is clearly thinking like a big club coach and managing and convincing recruits that this is exactly what we are/what we will become. Maybe that's because of the way he's come the PL, maybe it's just because he sees what others don't.

It was Ange who first made reference to us being the only club to break into the elite since the PL started, so I don't think he is paying lip-service. He sounds and looks to me that he totally believes this is what we are (as does levy as he said as much in his speech to the troops). So now his task is to build a squad with the huge increase in investment we've made in the last few years to consistently compete at the top level and be one of the clubs who can win silverware again.

How that fits with giving academy products their chance, I'm not sure, but I am sure he'll have to be more than a little convinced before he does.
To pick up on your last point, when Levy appointed Ange he said (again) that part of his remit was to develop academy players into the first team. Easier said than done, of course.

It's a great thought, but I just can't see Poch letting him go in this window, he has become such an integral part of his starting eleven, it would possibly be akin to committing suicide in terms of his job longevity!

To pick up on your last point, when Levy appointed Ange he said (again) that part of his remit was to develop academy players into the first team. Easier said than done, of course.

You're right he absolutely did, but I don't think he'll do that unless he;s utterly convinced they are potentially top-class PL players - anyway, it will be fun watching him finding out. Nothing better than creating/developing one of our own.

You're right he absolutely did, but I don't think he'll do that unless he;s utterly convinced they are potentially top-class PL players - anyway, it will be fun watching him finding out. Nothing better than creating/developing one of our own.
I guess it depends as well what targets Ange has been set. If you tell a manager part of his remit is to develop academy players then you have to allow him some latitude with regards results. If you tell him you want CL in his first season then you can't expect him to start blooding youngsters.

I'm not sure Chelsea can afford to sell Gallagher to us, imagine how it's going to look to their supporters. With the boot on the other foot, how good would it look for us to be seemingly the bigger club stealing one of their best players!
It would look f...ing hilarious TQ, that's how it would look.

It would be worth signing him just for that.

I'll wager Dragusin turning down BM for us has pissed off many of our rival fans. When the news came in on Tuesday evening that BM had outbid us I'll bet they were up all night, fingers on the keyboard, ready with their insults.

Last edited:
I guess it depends as well what targets Ange has been set. If you tell a manager part of his remit is to develop academy players then you have to allow him some latitude with regards results. If you tell him you want CL in his first season then you can't expect him to start blooding youngsters.

Ange has left himself slightly open here. He had choices of experienced average players versus youngsters and he chose the former. That was when he only had shallow squad depth with injuries and suspensions. I'm not just talking about starting eleven either. I'm talking about all the times he didn't turn to these young guys and give them their cameos.

Now you look at his squad depth

Venom, Porro, Emerson, Udogie, VDV, Romero, Dragusin, Biss, Bents, Sarr, Madds, Gio, Kulu, Solomon, BJ, Werner, Son, Richi

That's a clear 18 senior players who Ange would have no problem being on the pitch. No reason that by Feb they're not all available for selection either.

Whilst Sarr and Udogie aren't that old, Ange won't really get the youngster question mark off his back until he walks the talk with our own academy. Even to date, he's been more likely to give Veliz, a recent acquisition vs our own academy, a go.

Whilst the club wants CL, it is the EL or ECL that could enable that.