Transfers - Jan 2024 | Page 94 | Vital Football

Transfers - Jan 2024

The way things are going at Rome it seems unlikely Jose will even be there beyond the summer.
Spot on - just read this, same old same old...

Roma owners ‘furious’ after Coppa Italia elimination​

img_2035-1400x934.jpg

Andy Mattioli​

I​

4 hours ago​

Roma President Dan Friedkin and his son and club Vice President Ryan Friedkin are said to be furious with the team’s elimination from Coppa Italia.
Not only was Roma’s shameful display in Wednesday’s derby an accurate representation of their mediocre season so far, the owners took issue with the team failing to advance to the next round of the competition they were aiming to win this year.

Roma have not made it past the Coppa Italia quarter-finals since 2017.
According to Il Tempo, the Friedkins are very upset with this situation and the possibility of seeing Mourinho extend his contract with the club is now more remote than ever before.
The company line on renewals was clear already at the end of 2023: a significant improvement in results is needed in relation to the investments made in the summer.
The Texan family had set the Champions League objective since the day Lukaku landed in the city, and a few weeks ago had strongly reiterated that a change of direction was needed before thinking about the expiring contracts (both of the players and of the management).
The Champions League zone remains close (4 points) but the Giallorossi have several teams ahead of them and with the third salary in Serie A, behind only Inter and Juve, they have not won a single match against the seven teams preceding them in ranking (among which there are Fiorentina and Bologna).

Oh? Not a sniff eh?

C'mon, all fit with Maddison & Bentancur, he'd 1000% be next. He's playing like an 85m guy, and just imagine him in AngeBall...

The fact its even a thing is fantastic. And I dont think he'd just go anywhere, but I also know he's not weird about some Chelski loyalty or anything. As Ex said, he was all in with Palace until the shit surfaced and wrenched it up & away.

We def have some good looking lads coming thru, but they aint This Guy, not for years.

45m+ sounds like the price. I'd do it in less than a second at that.

I would have Bentancur, Maddison, Bissouma, Sarr, Kulu all ahead of him.

Ange has left himself slightly open here. He had choices of experienced average players versus youngsters and he chose the former. That was when he only had shallow squad depth with injuries and suspensions. I'm not just talking about starting eleven either. I'm talking about all the times he didn't turn to these young guys and give them their cameos.

Now you look at his squad depth

Venom, Porro, Emerson, Udogie, VDV, Romero, Dragusin, Biss, Bents, Sarr, Madds, Gio, Kulu, Solomon, BJ, Werner, Son, Richi

That's a clear 18 senior players who Ange would have no problem being on the pitch. No reason that by Feb they're not all available for selection either.

Whilst Sarr and Udogie aren't that old, Ange won't really get the youngster question mark off his back until he walks the talk with our own academy. Even to date, he's been more likely to give Veliz, a recent acquisition vs our own academy, a go.

Whilst the club wants CL, it is the EL or ECL that could enable that.
It seems he's going to hold Donolly back and not loan him out, so he could possibly be the first?

We've seen this season injuries and suspensions mean plenty of minutes, Bissouma has been off the boil in recent games as well

Sarr will do well not to have second season dip, most players do.

He's a good option In my view.
If we sell Hojbjerg and look to move on Skipp I can see the attraction. For a reasonable price.

But what we can't do is slam shut the door for the academy players. As it stands we are stacked with options.

I agree, but it seems Ange isn't youth focused from what we have seen so far.
It’s a bit unfair saying Ange isn’t youth focused.

No one loves to see one of our own come through the ranks into the 1st team more than me but let’s be realistic for a second.

Ange has been here 1/2 a season. He’s had to navigate one of our worst injury crises in living memory yet we are still sitting in 5th, 6 points off the top of the table.

At the end of the day, it’s his call as to if and when an academy player is ready for 1st team action. There are a few at the moment that certainly have promise but not one of them have done anything in the game yet (in men’s football anyhow) We are a top PL team with aspirations of getting back in the CL this season and of challenging for the PL next season (maybe this season with a bit of luck and our players fit for the 2nd half of it) Our youngsters have to earn the right. Their chance will come (if they are good enough) but in the meantime, perform for the u18, u21 or u23. Impress in training if you’re called up to train with the senior lads. Impress on loan if you get the chance of 1st team football for 6/12 months. That’s the way it should be. Ange sees these boys everyday. If he thought they were a better option they’d be starting games. Logical answer, they’re not ready.

I’ve no doubt we will see a few players coming through the system in the next few years. Cream always rises to the top. The way we are going though, you are going to have to be international quality if you want a future at Spurs. That’s the challenge to all our youngsters right now.

Let's be honest, no one, not even Ange would've anticipated the rebuild having progressed so rapidly and see us within touching distance of the PL leaders at this stage. That perhaps brings the added pressure, a club-wise view, hmm, we can achieve something this season!....specifically, top4. With everyone back and newbies integrated, I do not expect the academy lads to experience much game time, unless we start hammering teams 3-0, 4-0!

Then there is the PL acclimation for many, including the heavy games schedules which is likely to take it's toll. Let's see how many return unscathed from AFCON and Asia as well as see how durable the injury-returnees are.

In summary, I don't anticipate much academy indroductions unless forced upon Ange through absences. BUT...hope a number of the lads are regularly promoted on the training ground ready for pre-season assessment.

Another consideration is that when everyone is fit we are already a young team with young players still learning their trade. He maybe wary of putting academy players into that environment.
And I believe that is also the push for landing a new CM'er, the effort is probably centred around a box to box midfielder and not a pigeon holed D'mer or an Attacking midfielder...of course this could also be influenced by interest in PEH from Bayern, athletico and Juve now seemingly dead..

The key is keeping the door open. It's why I don't want the club over filling it with squad players.

The squad as it stands is still way too big when everyone is back fit and the loanees return.

Let's skimm it back, then give one or two a chance.
I do agree with that RD.

The squad still needs trimming no doubt.

I think we need 18/20 players competing/rotating for the 1st 11.

Then add another few youngsters to make up the 22/24. The likes of Phillips, Dorrington, Devine and Donley would seem to be knocking on the door.

I do agree with that RD.

The squad still needs trimming no doubt.

I think we need 18/20 players competing/rotating for the 1st 11.

Then add another few youngsters to make up the 22/24. The likes of Phillips, Dorrington, Devine and Donley would seem to be knocking on the door.

To some extent, I'd disagree, the evidence we have on attrition rate - that even Ange spoke about today that his type of football creates, means in my mind and I suspect Ange's that we carry the maximum squad size we can, what he is righly focused on is of course the depth and quality as that would allow him to be proactive with rotation as soon as they showed any signs of red lining or flagging generally.

Last edited:
Looks like we've upped our interest from asking about him/his agent generally to approaching Wolves, if we got him, looks to me, he'd fit right in., especially as he's PL ready. We'd have to pay them double what they paid just a few months back..I can only think that Wolves are walking the financial tightrope as them being willing to sell him so soon doesn't make a lot of sense to me..

That said, there is talk of their owners being in some tight financial situations elsewhere...and possibly even at risk of a points' deduction having put their accounts in to be assessed...if they are, they're get a very short window to show they've taken corrective measures, and that could well mean taking our interest in Joao Gomes seriously.

The assessments will make their determination by the 14th Jan, then the club will be on the clock...(All PL clubs had to submit their accounts by 31st December)..

These rumours about Conor Gallagher just won’t go away whether I like it or not! Does any one else find it hard to believe that they would actually sell him to us AND that we would be prepared to spend another £50m in this window? Do we have enough FFP headroom and have we got sufficient cash reserves to be able to afford him as surely Chelsea even IF they sold him to us wouldn’t also allow any deferred terms?

Looks like we've upped our interest from asking about him/his agent generally to approaching Wolves, if we got him, looks to me, he'd fit right in., especially as he's PL ready. We'd have to pay them double what they paid just a few months back..I can only think that Wolves are walking the financial tightrope as them being willing to sell him so soon doesn't make a lot of sense to me..

That said, there is talk of their owners being in some tight financial situations elsewhere...and possibly even at risk of a points' deduction having put their accounts in to be assessed...if they are, they're get a very short window to show they've taken corrective measures, and that could well mean taking our interest in Joao Gomes seriously.

The assessments will make their determination by the 14th Jan, then the club will be on the clock...(All PL clubs had to submit their accounts by 31st December)..

Of course, if the rumours of Carlsberg running the Spurs transfer window are true then Davies and Hojbjerg will be wearing gold in a couple of weeks :LOL: