Transfers - Jan 2024 | Page 91 | Vital Football

Transfers - Jan 2024

So Eric has gone on a loan with an option to buy... but his contract runs out in the summer, so does that mean Bayern can just say no thanks and then sign him on a free after his contract runs out?

That's stumped me.
That stumped me too when I saw it on Sky.

I thought Ex posted on here that he signed an 18-month contract for £4m but I can't find his post.

Sky have changed their wording now from 'an option to buy' to 'an initial loan until the end of the season, with the option for a further year.' Not that that makes it any clearer. He's a free agent in the summer anyway.

Do Spurs have an option to extend Dier's contract for a further year? If so, maybe that plays into it?

Well Dier has said his good byes, believe it or not I wish him well. Was a good DM for us for a period. Hopefully Munich use him as one as well.

But I'm glad he is gone.

Looking through the squad Davies, Sess, Skipp, Lo Celso, Son, Ndombele are still from the Poch era.

Hojbjerg, Reggie from the Jose era.

Still plenty of work to do.

Oh Don’t you love Sky and their love for manure … clubs up and down the country are doing business , trying for this player or that deal….
The headlines in todays SkySports Transfer Web page is Ten Hag is CONSIDERING a bloke called Brobby from Ajax for the SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW !!!!

Ain’t it wonderful that Sancho is finally gone and we don’t have to read about him anymore , every day .
Or that bloke that plays for Barcelona that told them he is happy to play for Barcelona and doesn’t want to play for manure , which never stopped them reporting that they wanted him .

That stumped me too when I saw it on Sky.

I thought Ex posted on here that he signed an 18-month contract for £4m but I can't find his post.

Sky have changed their wording now from 'an option to buy' to 'an initial loan until the end of the season, with the option for a further year.' Not that that makes it any clearer. He's a free agent in the summer anyway.

Do Spurs have an option to extend Dier's contract for a further year? If so, maybe that plays into it?
No I didn't say that, I didn't have that level of detail, I only knew from Eric himself that he'd had three strong offers, and if I'm honest whilst I knew he was going to BM, it's still not the final destination I expected him to be at next season.

However, Italy have surprisingly changed their growth tax breaks on Jan 1st which means that Roma's payroll went up by $20 mill overnight, no one in Italian football saw that coming, and gives Italian clubs a massive problem with UEFA's financial rules - much of the headroom that Italian clubs had to do deals has vanished overnight. Jose is having kittens about it, and that effectiively scuppered their January perhaps even 2024 transfer plans; whilst they've all gone mad at the Italian government, it doesn't look like they will budge.

I'll be speaking to him again soon, so will try and get better detail, but if I asked these questions now, he probably quite rightly wouldn't answer me.

Last edited:
What are we all going to do on Transfer deadline day ?
Does Ange drive a Range Rover ?
Will it be worth Sky having a roving reporter standing at the gates at Hotspur Way waiting for Ange to say Hello Mate . With one arm hanging out of the window ?

If he did, he'd get rid of it now, they are almost fcuking impossible to insure now, my brothers quote for his new one was £24k p.a. as he had his last one stolen !!!

Last edited:
Oh Don’t you love Sky and their love for manure … clubs up and down the country are doing business , trying for this player or that deal….
The headlines in todays SkySports Transfer Web page is Ten Hag is CONSIDERING a bloke called Brobby from Ajax for the SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW !!!!

Ain’t it wonderful that Sancho is finally gone and we don’t have to read about him anymore , every day .
Or that bloke that plays for Barcelona that told them he is happy to play for Barcelona and doesn’t want to play for manure , which never stopped them reporting that they wanted him .

Sky are likely to be making more stories up this window than ever before, the FFP rules are biting hard, Manure have little headroom unless they get alot of players cost off their books, the same applies to Newcastle, who may also be forced to sell to re-invest, Chelsea say they don't necessarily have to this window, but even they come the summer will be in that boat. Arguably, but less clear is Villa too have that problem. The same applies to Arsenal.

Being a well run club, may finally pay some dividends, that said, our transfer debt has ballooned, but we have headroom, but I do think that our summer spend may be much lower than the last few years.

So, Sky will make stuff up to get the eyeballs!

No I didn't say that, I didn't have that level of detail, I only knew from Eric himself that he'd had three strong offers, and if I'm honest whilst I knew he was going to BM, it's still not the final destination I expected him to be at next season.

However, Italy have surprisingly changed their growth tax breaks on Jan 1st which means that Roma's payroll went up by $20 mill overnight, no one in Italian football saw that coming, and gives Italian clubs a massive problem with UEFA's financial rules - much of the headroom that Italian clubs had to do deals has vanished overnight. Jose is having kittens about it, and that effectiively scuppered their January perhaps even 2024 transfer plans; whilst they've all gone mad at the Italian government, it doesn't look like they will budge.

I'll be speaking him again soon, so will try and get better detail, but if I asked these questions now, he probably quite rightly wouldn't answer me.
Apologies. I thought it was you. I'm not sure I even read it correctly at all now in light of what's been reported.

Can you shed any light on it? It's been reported as a loan with an option to buy or extend. But as his contract is up in the summer how do Spurs have any say in it?

Sky are likely to be making more stories up this window than ever before, the FFP rules are biting hard, Manure have little headroom unless they get alot of players cost off their books, the same applies to Newcastle, who may also be forced to sell to re-invest, Chelsea say they don't necessarily have to this window, but even they come the summer will be in that boat. Arguably, but less clear is Villa too have that problem. The same applies to Arsenal.

Being a well run club, may finally pay some dividends, that said, our transfer debt has ballooned, but we have headroom, but I do think that our summer spend may be much lower than the last few years.

So, Sky will make stuff up to get the eyeballs!
It seems, at this early stage, that the new Financial Sustainability rules are having some bite.

Apologies. I thought it was you. I'm not sure I even read it correctly at all now in light of what's been reported.

Can you shed any light on it? It's been reported as a loan with an option to buy or extend. But as his contract is up in the summer how do Spurs have any say in it?

It is 'only' a loan deal, we do not have an option to extend. Come the summer he can be a free agent and bank whatever fee is agreed. Basically, the club have done the decent thing after blocking his move in the summer. he was after all our longest serving player, and genuinely committed to the club.

I believe he has ambitions to make the England team, his injury that affected him so badly last year is done and dusted, if he does manage that, good for him.

The last I knew was that he'd also agreed terms with Roma, Jose loves him. But whether that can still happen in the summer, I have no idea.

It is 'only' a loan deal, we do not have an option to extend. Come the summer he can be a free agent and bank whatever fee is agreed. Basically, the club have done the decent thing after blocking his move in the summer. he was after all our longest serving player, and genuinely committed to the club.

I believe he has ambitions to make the England team, his injury that affected him so badly last year is done and dusted, if he does manage that, good for him.

The last I knew was that he'd also agreed terms with Roma, Jose loves him. But whether that can still happen in the summer, I have no idea.
Across the media it has been reported as either an option to buy or an option to extend. The option to buy makes no sense. If it's an option to extend, is that just between Dier and BM i.e. to extend the contract that has been agreed for the loan period?

The way things are going at Rome it seems unlikely Jose will even be there beyond the summer.