Transfers - Jan 2024 | Page 95 | Vital Football

Transfers - Jan 2024

To some extent, I'd disagree the evidence we have on attrition rate - that even Ange spoke about today that his type of football creates, means in my mind and I suspect Ange's that we carry the maximum squad size we can, what he is righly focused on is of course the depth and quality as that would allow him to be proactive with rotation as soon as they showed any signs of red lining or flagging generally.
Well if every season is the same as this one (injury wise) we will need a squad of 50 🤣

They missed Donley and Santiago, a little fortunate to maintain their 100% record.

It gets interesting now. Keeley is on loan at Barnet, Craig at Donny Rovers. Obviously Phillips went to Plymouth, not that he was so involved. Veliz and Scarlett both injured. Donley and Santiago in 1st team squad, even if it is temporary.

I also didn't see Sayers or Abbott tonight. Injured?

It's going to be a great test to see whether the rest of these young guys can maintain the momentum we had in the first half of the season.

It appears we are targetting two additional signings this window, I hope it's true...

I liked how Ange characterised our signing of Werner yesterday - he's been playing in a team that doesn't suit him and normally we'd not be able to get anywhere near signing him (he's a £80-100 mill player) and when we get him scoring, he'll be that again!

Let's not forget if we can keep him onside then hopefully we won't see him carrying the dead weight of being the PlL's striker with the most number of disallowed goals in the shortest number of games (16 disallowed), if they stood, Ange is right we'd have got nowhere near signing him.

Let's hope our coaches can sort him out..

It appears we are targetting two additional signings this window, I hope it's true...

I liked how Ange characterised our signing of Werner yesterday - he's been playing in a team that doesn't suit him and normally we'd not be able to get anywhere near signing him (he's a £80-100 mill player) and when we get him scoring, he'll be that again!

Let's not forget if we can keep him onside then hopefully we won't see him carrying the dead weight of being the PlL's striker with the most number of disallowed goals in the shortest number of games (16 disallowed), if they stood, Ange is right we'd have got nowhere near signing him.

Let's hope our coaches can sort him out..
Interesting. Is that likely for a CM and maybe another CB?

I can't see us bringing in a number 9 till the summer.

I agree that Werner should be a real steal.

Looks like we've upped our interest from asking about him/his agent generally to approaching Wolves, if we got him, looks to me, he'd fit right in., especially as he's PL ready. We'd have to pay them double what they paid just a few months back..I can only think that Wolves are walking the financial tightrope as them being willing to sell him so soon doesn't make a lot of sense to me..

That said, there is talk of their owners being in some tight financial situations elsewhere...and possibly even at risk of a points' deduction having put their accounts in to be assessed...if they are, they're get a very short window to show they've taken corrective measures, and that could well mean taking our interest in Joao Gomes seriously.

The assessments will make their determination by the 14th Jan, then the club will be on the clock...(All PL clubs had to submit their accounts by 31st December)..

Told again today, that we're pushing hard to get Wolves to talk to us...I confess have not seen much of Joao Gomes, but catching up now - do others rate him? He looks slightly one dimensional to me, but I'll do some more homework and see if my first impression changes.

Villa the latest club saying they can't really spend

It's a complete log jam, clubs can't buy before selling and nobody is buying.
Their net spend over recent years is not wildly short of ours on a much lower income base, so it's no surprise to me.

But Villa also shows that by building your base carefully and not being a spendthrift you can build a really competitive squad -Newcastle take note!

I'm pleased FFP rules are biting, it's not before time.

Their net spend over recent years is not wildly short of ours on a much lower income base, so it's no surprise to me.

But Villa also shows that by building your base carefully and not being a spendthrift you can build a really competitive squad -Newcastle take note!

I'm pleased FFP rules are biting, it's not before time.

Newcastles squad is massive, not sure they have really got rid of anyone recently

They still have target/Richie/dummet/Fraser among others on the books in someway.