The Wesley Moræs Thread | Page 53 | Vital Football

The Wesley Moræs Thread

When he gets back, sit him down, tell him, if you don't start scoring some goals and cracking defenders skulls, we are going to get rid of you.

In the couple of games where we didn't totally isolate him he looked like an actual striker with actual striker's instincts. The check, run and strike for his goal against Everton is not someone who is just a lump, even though that's how we used him for half the season, that's someone who can play that position. Check his highlights from Belgium (yes, it's an easier league) and you'll see him strike and head the ball better than he did with us, and you'll see good positional play. He needed to settle and it's a shame that when he was beginning to he got clattered by that twat.

I know I spent most of last season sat with my arse in my hands and am still trying to shake myself out of a sulk, but I just cannot see anything in Wesley at all - I feel he'll never be a player.

My biggest gripe is that we won't get anything for him . . . like so many before.

I just cannot see anything in Wesley at all - I feel he'll never be a player.
His goals against Everton and Arsenal, and his all-round display at Burnley before he was butchered showed glimpses, and who can say with certainty he would not have kicked on during the rest of the season?

It's way, way too early to write him off. There is no way on this Earth that Keinan Davis would have scored those goals. But my bad, that doesn't matter, because apparently he, erm, holds the ball up quite well.

His goals against Everton and Arsenal, and his all-round display at Burnley before he was butchered showed glimpses, and who can say with certainty he would not have kicked on during the rest of the season?

It'd be great if he turned it on. But if he was a slow starter (I don't think he did start but I'll take the point he may have been showing glimpses) how do we get him up and running?

I don't see how we can afford to give him match time to try and get up to speed. Do we just keep him on the bench and hope that if needed he can pull it out the bag? I don't see us comfortable enough in most games to have that luxury.

I agree it's far too early to be writing him off and looking to recoup some money.

Let's not forget we went into last season with basically one striker - him. (there was no way Kodjia or Davis were going to cut it and that was a ridiculous decision not to bring in at least one more)

No one to take the pressure off him or give him a few games where he could come on later and build some confidence. None of that was his fault, it was the position the club put him in.

He still has a lot to work on, but he's a young talent. I just hope he's being worked closely with and then one thing to cut out is how he goes down and rolls around. I know it's a cultural thing, but he's built like a tank and it's completely unnecessary.

Who are you and what have you done with our lovable Sil! lol
I know. But. I was sat pitchside v Sheff U away, and here is my rationale. We weren't particularly good that day but Wesley had a good game with absolutely no support or service,, his hold up play was quite good he almost scored with the only chance he had

It'd be great if he turned it on. But if he was a slow starter (I don't think he did start but I'll take the point he may have been showing glimpses) how do we get him up and running?

I don't see how we can afford to give him match time to try and get up to speed. Do we just keep him on the bench and hope that if needed he can pull it out the bag? I don't see us comfortable enough in most games to have that luxury.

He'll take time to get up to speed; all players coming back from injury do, though, and it can be managed.

As for slow starter, most players coming into the PL are, it's that difficult. I don't think he was especially slow, it's just that there were other players in the same boat, and the team was off the pace.

I put him down as unknown. We won't know how good he really is until he's fully recovered and had a decent spell playing. Which may be difficult given we now have Watkins, as well as Samatta. But Samatta doesn't last a full 90 minutes, and both Wesley and Watkins can play wide if needed.

I think he will probably be better coming off the bench, it will give him a chance to recover, Thrown in the deep end and expected to hit the ground running was a lot to ask of him. so maybe less pressure on him with a few more options and who knows. i think out of him and Samatta, he looks the more likely to improve but imo they were both poor signings at the time.

I think many, including me, were deceived by his physique. You expect him to be a battering ram Number 9 but he's actually more about timing and touch in the box. With the right service he looks a clinical finisher but I'm not convinced we're the right fit for him.

Not seen him in any of the pictures of training , so either he has had a set back or the recovery is going slowly. 10-11 months was the estimated time out I think, so January sounds about right.

Yes think Deano said yesterday they originally thought that it would be 12 months and they’ve had no reason to change that prediction. With Samatta going, Vassilev gone, Davis likely to get injured at any point, another forward is imperative.

Not seen him in any of the pictures of training , so either he has had a set back or the recovery is going slowly. 10-11 months was the estimated time out I think, so January sounds about right.

Sounds like we might be in for another striker, especially if Sammatta rumours are correct