The Wesley Moræs Thread | Page 51 | Vital Football

The Wesley Moræs Thread

Tierney at Arsenal left Celtic for 25M and he is worth every penny of that above Targett. And he's doing very well in a left of 3 backline which is interesting too.

There's lads to be had out of Scotland but none worth more than 30M IMO.

Scotland is very difficult to judge and Edouard is a great example. The man is twice the finisher of Watkins but he gets the sort of time and space you could only dream of, even in the Championship.

He's no Henrick Larsson but he could be another Dembele and I reckon Dembele would be good enough for the EPL.

If you look at the wages in Scotland you can see the level of player they will attract is League one, Celtic at an average of 18k a week will attract Championship players and poor prem players. Hamilton wouldn't attract me as the only pay 40k a year. It's easy to see why Celtic walk the league every season

I'm a Wesley fan tbh, wouldn't say I have blind faith in him and yes some games he was awful.

The jury is out and for me it's unfair to completely write him off (same as I'm not proclaiming him to be the new 'old Benteke').

BUT what is that saying, you're only as good as your last game? He looked pretty good against Burnley and we'll never know had he not got injured what his tally for the season would have been. I suspect it wouldn't have been a bad effort and no one we've played in his position since has done any better (in my opinion) and I do believe we lost something when he was ruled out.

The 'should we sell him if an offer came in for the same amount' in terms of it being good business (you'd have to say yes, as long as he doesn't go on the be really good elsewhere) is maybe a different debate - but I saw enough in him for me to still want him around.

In any case, he shouldn't have come in with no back up or another striker to push him / possibly also for him to learn from imo. A lot was put on his shoulders.

TBF he's like Careca at these things when compared to Keinan Davis. He also looked a lot better than Samatta overall. Wesley is the least of our striking problems.

I think Davis is far better than Wesley, considering he cost nothing and Wesley was 22m, I look beyond the price tag , I get Wesley scored 5 goals but he had 20 games unchallenged Davis hasn't played a full game yet

We can only hope he can go again and this time go better. He certainly didn’t look a natural but he’s young enough to improve. Let’s face it, there’s any number of them that need to improve, why not him?

I think Davis is far better than Wesley, considering he cost nothing and Wesley was 22m, I look beyond the price tag , I get Wesley scored 5 goals but he had 20 games unchallenged Davis hasn't played a full game yet
I just don't agree with this I'm afraid. I've never seen someone look so impotent in front of goal as Davis. Looked the same in the Championship as well.

I think he got a lot of unfair criticism last season. With him being very young player and his 1st season in the Premiership - I could still see signs that he could become a very valuable asset for the club. I think he just needs better players around him. He actually got into some decent positions, he holds the ball up very well, he has the eye for goal and seems very determined.

another one who only counts goals
Not at all pal, but believe it or not strikers should be able to chip in with some goals and Davis has shown he can't even do that.

You can go on about Firmino and Liverpool's set up all you want but the fact is Firmino usually bags double figures each season, it's unacceptable to have a striker who cannot approach that.

It's about contributing to the overall play well and chipping in with some goals. I'm not sure what is so controversial about expecting a striker to score some goals.

You are just too demanding Pangloss.

I would love to see Davis become an amazing PL player, just so far, I'm not even convinced he'd cut it in the Championship.

Wesley, if we can't sell him for roughly what we paid, I hope he also can set the world alight when back fit, his touches though, seemed woeful, and although it does take players time to settle sometimes, it shouldn't take them any time at all, to be able to control a ball.

lets sign Troy Deeney then he got more than Fermino last season obviously that makes him a better player :Fingers:

Troy Deeney for us last season, would have scored more than any of our lot, that might have won us more games, taken the pressure off the defence, relaxed the midfield and led to doing more than scraping survival. He got 10 goals, that could have made a huge difference.

Not sure what his contribution is, assists wise either.

Firmino got 12 goals in all competitions. That was more than 10 when I was last at school.

Same as Troy, not sure what his stats are assists wise, would guess more because he is a cut above as are Liverpool.

But yes, either, have more than our strikers got, they managed 9 (6 in PL) in total between them. And we wonder why we only scraped survival.

A striker able to score, is absolutely crucial to the whole set up of any team. Surprised we are even having this discussion really!

Troy Deeney for us last season, would have scored more than any of our lot, that might have won us more games, taken the pressure off the defence, relaxed the midfield and led to doing more than scraping survival. He got 10 goals, that could have made a huge difference.

Not sure what his contribution is, assists wise either.

Firmino got 12 goals in all competitions. That was more than 10 when I was last at school.

Same as Troy, not sure what his stats are assists wise, would guess more because he is a cut above as are Liverpool.

But yes, either, have more than our strikers got, they managed 9 (6 in PL) in total between them. And we wonder why we only scraped survival.

A striker able to score, is absolutely crucial to the whole set up of any team. Surprised we are even having this discussion really
!

It's getting a bit twilight zone mate. RE Davis I don't think anyone is saying he has to bang in 20 a season, but that he should at least be contributing more than he does, he doesn't get into good position and barely tests the oppositions keeper, it's concerning. I think we need a striker who can score more and have an impact on the rest of the game, not an unreasonable thing to want, especially given the budget we have.