The Wesley Moræs Thread | Page 55 | Vital Football

The Wesley Moræs Thread

Wasn’t the rumour that he was more comfortable coming off the left? If that’s the case he could be an option with Jack moving inside.

I wouldn’t write off a £20m investment as easily as some here. If he’s on the fringes of starting for Brazil, he’s not shite. We just need to understand how to play to his strengths. He‘ll get better.....definitely. Confidence within the squad is infectious.

Wasn’t the rumour that he was more comfortable coming off the left? If that’s the case he could be an option with Jack moving inside.

I wouldn’t write off a £20m investment as easily as some here. If he’s on the fringes of starting for Brazil, he’s not shite. We just need to understand how to play to his strengths. He‘ll get better.....definitely. Confidence within the squad is infectious.

He has played 120 games as the main striker, i don't think he has ever played out wide got most of his goals in the a poor Belgium league, Probably wasn't worth 22.5m we paid, he was bought for 1m 3 years prior and didn't offer anything amazing in Belgium when the likes of Samatta has scored twice the amount in the same league.

But he is big and strong and gets noticed, he finally got in the Brazil team and came off the bench in a Friendly after signing for us.

Never once played for the under 23's 20's 17's etc like a lot of others including Luiz, Brazil probably thought who the hell is this guy Villa just paid 22.5m for, let's get him in and see what he is about.

But like you say we can't waste money like this, and needs to be given a shot.

Ironically he was in the midst of having his best game for us at Burnley and looked like the penny was dropping a bit.

Going to take him a while to get up to speed again because as it stands he won't be getting much game time once he is fit.

Ironically he was in the midst of having his best game for us at Burnley and looked like the penny was dropping a bit.

Going to take him a while to get up to speed again because as it stands he won't be getting much game time once he is fit.
Touch wood everyone stays fit, otherwise he will be a go too player

Understandably a lot of negativity around Wesley but I'm in the second chance camp. I saw enough to believe there's a player in there, and with better quality around and behind him it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

If he comes back and finds some form, we could move Watkins to what I think looks his natural position of wide left forward, move Grealish inside to Barkley's current position when he goes back to Chelsea.

Looking forward to seeing him playing again. We seemed to miss him more than we thought we would when he got injured.

We could do with striking cover and options so I'd welcome Wesley back.

Two things need to change though -
1. Wesley needs to step up, grow up and stop some of the antics last season which weren't doing him and the team any favours.

2. Dean and Shakey need to ensure that the team are drilled and set up to play to his strengths and create chances, and not leave him isolated. But first they need to prove that they can do precisely that for Ollie....

We could do with striking cover and options so I'd welcome Wesley back.

Two things need to change though -
1. Wesley needs to step up, grow up and stop some of the antics last season which weren't doing him and the team any favours.

2. Dean and Shakey need to ensure that the team are drilled and set up to play to his strengths and create chances, and not leave him isolated. But first they need to prove that they can do precisely that for Ollie....
Two good points there crimson. Here's my thoughts....
1. I have played with and worked with quite a few Brazilian footballers down the years. They will tell you that it is part of the culture of the game in their leagues to look for fouls, go down on contact, win free-kicks and attempt to get defenders in trouble. I think Wesley was starting to learn that it wouldn't work in England. I honestly don't think he's soft as some would suggest, just played in the way he learned from a very young age. Old habits and all that.... We see it as antics and cheating, while in South America he's seen as clever, putting the defender on the back foot, scared to make another challenge and giving himself the advantage. They are taught that if you can get your marker booked then he'll start giving you more space.
Ironically, in one of his most effective matches when he stayed on his feet and battled he was then clinically sythed down and put out of the game for a year.
2. Hopefully Smith will do just that. It's been a problem at Villa for donkeys years that we get players in and then try to shoe-horn them into a role for which they're not suited. Not just with strikers either. Bruce bought Lansbury as a number ten then immediately played him as a holding midfielder, bought Hogan as a poacher then tried to make him a target, O'Neill bought Cuellar as a centre-back and played him at right-back, Mccleish played Bent as a target-man and Heskey as midfielder, and the list goes on.....

Wesley wasn't ready for the PL or to play on his own last season. It was taking him time to adjust to what he was being asked to do.

When he comes back, he won't be our first choice striker and I think that will suit him. He won't have the same pressure coming off the bench.

When he comes back he will be a different option up front. Another bit of clever management from Smith?

When he comes back he will be a different option up front. Another bit of clever management from Smith?

Clever management would be to sell him for as much as we can get but as nobody will give him a second look even on a free we may as well try and do something with him. Perhaps a stewards job or a turnstile security man

He's a lot better than what we current have for backup so I welcome his eventual return. He's worth another look between his return and the end of this season. If he's not up to scratch then he can go in the summer.

He's a lot better than what we current have for backup so I welcome his eventual return. He's worth another look between his return and the end of this season. If he's not up to scratch then he can go in the summer.

He's going then. he's about on a par with Jordan Bowery

I really don't think that's the case but depends on how he responds to what was a terrible injury. That injury could well have finished him.

True, he won't come back any fitter that's one thing for sure it may affect him mentally as well, he wasn't exactly a tough player for his size, a bit of a short fuse but sadly aggressive at the wrong times.
Perhaps I'm wrong but take away the huge transfer fee and nobody would give him a second thought just like they now don't with Samatta

I think he had a good finish on him. His attitude needs to adapt and we can't isolate him like we have done with all our CFs. He may come good - and more of a chance of that that with Davis IMO.

I really do not know what the thinking was behind signing 'J Bowz'. He actually made over 20 appearances for us. Shocking player.

Wesley was called into the Brazil squad at one point so there has to be something there. He's only 23, scored 5 goals in a team that we all said looked like relegation fodder.