The Wesley Moræs Thread | Page 54 | Vital Football

The Wesley Moræs Thread

Sounds like we might be in for another striker, especially if Sammatta rumours are correct
I thought that too 57 but I think with Traore joining he adds cover to that position. Believe Rashic can play CF too if we are lucky enough to get him.

Hopefully developing a team with plenty of flexibility and cover

Hard luck for the lad. When he does come back he'll take time to get up to speed.

Angry that the career wrecker who injured him didn't get a ban. Sooner or later he'll do it to somebody else. It was a shocker.

I don't think Wesley is a CF - he wasn't used in that way before he came to us I think I read. He had a cool finish on him which was class (when he did do it). But can he be made to fit into the team in a different role I wonder?

We spent last season isolating each of our CFs and they all drowned.

I don't think Wesley is a CF - he wasn't used in that way before he came to us I think I read. He had a cool finish on him which was class (when he did do it). But can he be made to fit into the team in a different role I wonder?

We spent last season isolating each of our CFs and they all drowned.

He always played as a central striker. The difference was, more often than not Brugge played 352 so he had a partner to work with.
We don't always get our players close enough to the striker to help them out. His biggest problem for me, was the way he kepty falling over looking for cheap free kicks, then sulking and losing interest when he didn't get them

He always played as a central striker. The difference was, more often than not Brugge played 352 so he had a partner to work with.
We don't always get our players close enough to the striker to help them out. His biggest problem for me, was the way he kept falling over looking for cheap free kicks, then sulking and losing interest when he didn't get them

Yep totally agree his falling/crying was pathetic. He let his head drop almost from the first game. But modern football is like this - he needs molly-coddling and building up - and put in a role he can succeed in. But do villa play in a way that can incorporate him now.

Hard luck for the lad. When he does come back he'll take time to get up to speed.

Angry that the career wrecker who injured him didn't get a ban. Sooner or later he'll do it to somebody else. It was a shocker.

If Watkins can hit the ground running it takes a lot of the pressure off him to rush back though.

Ben Mee has already done Gomez of Liverpool with an almost identical challenge the dirty bastard. He'll keep doing it whenever he's frustrated until he's properly punished for it.

His biggest problem for me, was the way he kepty falling over looking for cheap free kicks, then sulking and losing interest when he didn't get them

You'd swear he was 5 ft. 6 the way he'd go down, smaller players seem to be much tougher than some of these big lads. Watkins is half this lads size and he puts himself about.

The role didnt suit him, I cant see him being at the club after next summer but we'd be doing well to get 10MM let alone 22MM. Our best hope is that he'll watch Watkins and Luiz gets his arm around him and tell him straight not be so lazy.

You'd swear he was 5 ft. 6 the way he'd go down, smaller players seem to be much tougher than some of these big lads. Watkins is half this lads size and he puts himself about.

The role didnt suit him, I cant see him being at the club after next summer but we'd be doing well to get 10MM let alone 22MM. Our best hope is that he'll watch Watkins and Luiz gets his arm around him and tell him straight not be so lazy.
Given what we are doing right now Wesley will probably be behind Davis in the pecking order unless he learns how to get his nut on the end of a high ball. Some of his efforts were so bad last season I was wondering if he got dizzy when looking upwards

I think Wesley's career with Aston Villa is over.

Nobody can deny that Watkins looks the real deal and sits comfortably in the side. He brings the speed and mobility that is essential to the way Smith wants to play and Watkins has so far proven to be everything we had hoped Hogan would be.

Wes is such a different player to Watkins that I think it's pointless hanging on to him. We would be better off letting Wes go and bringing in a back up striker more in the style of Watkins.

Can't see Wes as a fringe Brazilian international being happy to warm the bench for his unforeseeable future.

My uncle lives in Belgium and is actually friends with a very well respected Sports Journalist over there.

He has likened Wesley to Emile Heskey! :eek:

Just reading through the first pages of this thread see what my initial reaction was, but found this classic which needed quoting :LOL:

Insult to Heskey if you ask me.

Who? I'm pretty sure Samatta was seen as better than Wesley after his start for Villa . Sorry but I see Wes in the same light as I see Samatta , just that one was 10m Euros and the other 25m euros as he's Brazillian and younger. If we can get 10m for Wesley if he ever comes back. we should move him on. I don't even give him a second thought after seeing Watkins for just 3 games

Who? I'm pretty sure Samatta was seen as better than Wesley after his start for Villa . Sorry but I see Wes in the same light as I see Samatta , just that one was 10m Euros and the other 25m euros as he's Brazillian and younger. If we can get 10m for Wesley if he ever comes back. we should move him on. I don't even give him a second thought after seeing Watkins for just 3 games

Wesley needs to learn how to hold the ball up and bring the midfield into play, so that 70 minutes into a game if it needs changing he’s the option. Whether we’re winning but under pressure and need to hold the ball up top, or we’re losing but can’t get the ball to stick up field, he needs to do what Davis is good at but we know we can’t rely on Davis and Davis doesn’t have a goal in him.

The reality as it stands is that we play with one striker and Watkins is far superior in every department even after a few games. A big lad up top who only had a 1 in 3 scoring ratio in Belgium isn’t good enough for this league and probably should’ve had alarm bells ringing last year, so he’ll never be a starter again unless he improves five fold.

I would coach him to change his game, and basically use him as a sub about 10 times per season. For some reason many people think he’s some sort of Thierry Henry who’s better with the ball at his feet even though his feet are awful.

Moral of the story, in the future don’t get over excited about a striker just because he’s Brazilian.

Wes was so isolated up front last season before he got injured I think any but the very best would have struggled. Clean slate for me when he comes back but obviously it'll be tough to get anything other than substitute appearances.

He'll be back and will be a decent option for us when fully fit. He'll be better with better players behind him. He will offer something different as well.

I cannot see how he'll ever be a starter unless Watkins gets injured but I think he can be a decent squad player for us.

I'm in the second chance club. He had annoying traits (diving, whining etc) but there's definitely a player in there. Douglas proved some wrong, I think he will too. I'd be interested to see him up front with Watkins wide left.

I'd rather we never bought him tbh, likewise Traore - £40m blown on that pair, I'll be amazed if we get half that back when at least one of them moves on which I would guess is 80% certain within 18 months.

Whatever Wes may or may not have become, surely that time has passed and the club has moved on without him. Hard luck on him but I couldn't really see him doing anything at PL level anyway and he's earned a lot of money for really doing nothing over his contract so the sympathy is slight as per with me for these guys.

We can't go for too long without a good striker alternative to Watkins. Wesley may yet prove to be that. He may be back in the new year and there will be cup games coming up. Enod of the season is time to make decisions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Deano tries to use him some way, Perhaps even switching Grealish to the right, Watkins to the left and Barkley staying in the middle, just to try and and see what he can do alongside our best players.

He's coming up to 24 this year, he seems like a lovely guy on and off the pitch, he has an eye for a pass, collected the ball deep for us many times last season and we by no means did him any favours.

For me when he shoots from the edge of the box he lacks the power, kind of fluffs his shots, lacks that venomous vicious strike you expect from powerful strikers that make keepers turn white, Which is probably why he doesn't take those shots on when I've seen replays of 16/17/18/19 and I'm shouting shoot, but it's his self confidence of really landing that goal, I think he did it once for Brugge back in 2016.

Comes across as more of a poacher, has speed, strength and win the ball back and would of been perfect in a more old school 4,4,2 but for me I can't see where you fit him in, I'd loan him out without a buy option for a Turkish/Scottish/Belgium top team and get 20 goals out of him then sell him, he won't want to play second fiddle, he'll want regular football to break into the first team for Brazil.