The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 22 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll have to see whats what at the season but at the moment I'd lean towards not making the loan permanent. Of course if he can regain full match fitness and his form picks up again then I wouldn't be against signing him.

Right now I'd let him go back to Chelsea and sign a top class, 30m+ left winger that would allow us to move Jack back into the middle.
Other influencers play more central...maybe roam. They aren't stuck out on the left wing.

He has been more of a hinderance since his return. He is consistently slowing up attacks and is not doing enough defensively.

I do rate him as a player, he has matching winning quality (as he shown against Leicester and Southampton) and lots of ability. Personally I'm not going to write him off just yet as he has had a bad injury and was denied opportunities to train with the COVID outbreak. I am getting a bit concerned about him mind but hoping he soon returns to the sharpness we saw from him prior to the injury.

Yep, pretty my thoughts to save me reposting. The slowing down the game thing is something that’s starting to bug me, there was a time last night where he took the ball down rather than letting it run through to Ollie and another where he has a couple of touches too many when he should’ve played Jack in. When he first came in, he knew he was second in rank to Jack but I think he’s thinking he’s up there as the joint top dog.

I like his composure on the ball, and ability to turn on it though he has been getting over confident and losing it. The fitness thing is a concern and 1 good game in 3 due to being injured or getting fitness back isn’t worth £30-40m in my book.

I think he was excellent, had a while out injured and then played more than he's trained in a run of games where the whole team has regressed a little. I think it'd be a little unfair to judge him on the games since he's come back.

Someone may have already said this but I just think he's a shadow of the player he was before he got injured. Then along came Mr Covid. I don't think he's lazy - I just think he's out on his feet.

Another poor showing. Is it because he's still not 100% after a long lay off or is this why he's never really made it at Chelsea.

Either way I'm convinced that he'll be back at Chelsea next season. We should pay whatever it takes to bring in a top left winger so we can play Jack in the middle.

He came back from injury with barely any training to play two games a week. Just shows we need a bit more in the squad next season so we don't have to do that to anyone else.

He's a luxury player.

He obviously has talent and these little flicks and show pony tricks all look great when they come off, but in the past 4 games they haven't come off and he doesn't offer anything else at all.

Not for me. I like exciting skilful players but they need to offer something extra for the team too like Jack does.

He's a sideways step from Hourihane for me.

Yeah I said to someone earlier he can't dine out on that Liverpool performance forever. He's been bang average since

He’s a different player to Hourihane I don’t know how they’re comparable and that’s before you get to ability. I have to say I’m a bit bored of reading about Hourihane so much in every thread.

As for Barkley - and I might have posted this recently without going back and checking - he undoubtably has quality - match winning at times - but he is seemingly a 1 in 3 player due to injury and form, which was my impression when we signed him.

I don’t like petulance at being subbed, especially when he played so poorly. For me, it’s immature and might suggest he’s only bothered his own stats and reputation than what is right for the team.

He does have some good flicks and has a lot of composure, I haven’t seen us play so much football in the final third for a long time which I think he takes credit for.

We have four months left of the season to see what he’s about, but on current form I wouldn’t want us paying much more than £20m for him. It’s probably the last good chance for Ross to perform at this level for a big club, so let’s hope it’s a productive three months.

I thought, while still looking a bit off the pace fitness wise, he was back to his best in an attacking sense today. He was involved in a lot of our best play, created some good goalscoring opportunities and got into a goalscoring opportunity himself which he probably should have done better with.

I'm glad he was pissed off when he came off. He wants to get himself back into the England squad and he won't unless he starts scoring and assisting far more between now and the end of the season. Every game he doesn't is a game wasted for him so he looked understandably frustrated.

I want footballers who want to play football, not players who come off with a smile on their face and wink at the oncoming sub. "Job done wheres my wage" players can jog on.

Another poor showing. Is it because he's still not 100% after a long lay off or is this why he's never really made it at Chelsea.

Either way I'm convinced that he'll be back at Chelsea next season. We should pay whatever it takes to bring in a top left winger so we can play Jack in the middle.
I actually prefer Jack out wide, since we’ve been back in the prem I think he’s been more effective as a left winger with the flexibility to drift infield into the space rather than being a more rigid central player where the game bypasses him on either side a bit more

From what I’ve seen so far I don’t think Chelsea would want Barkley back as Mount has firmly taken his place along with a number of other high profile attacking midfield signings. I’d be happy for us to sign him as long we didn’t get stung on the transfer fee

Status
Not open for further replies.