The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he gets the ball I'm left waiting for him to be dispossessed or take too long on the ball slowing the passage of play down.

Sure when he does something classy it's good to see but that just doesn't happen often enough which means he is a passenger during games and a luxury player in the team and in the high intensity of the premier league then that's a recipe for failure.

He has been more of a hinderance since his return. He is consistently slowing up attacks and is not doing enough defensively.

I do rate him as a player, he has matching winning quality (as he shown against Leicester and Southampton) and lots of ability. Personally I'm not going to write him off just yet as he has had a bad injury and was denied opportunities to train with the COVID outbreak. I am getting a bit concerned about him mind but hoping he soon returns to the sharpness we saw from him prior to the injury.

looks very lazy and slow to me, slows every attack down, hangs onto the ball but he's no Jack Grealish with it. Lead footed.
I'd sooner see young Ramsey given a chance and I'm not joking as the kid id at least young enough to get better and Villa enough to care

looks very lazy and slow to me, slows every attack down, hangs onto the ball but he's no Jack Grealish with it. Lead footed.
I'd sooner see young Ramsey given a chance and I'm not joking as the kid id at least young enough to get better and Villa enough to care

His performances at the start of the season were way above anything Ramsey could produce, he was a breath of fresh air for us. Right now he doesnt look fully fit to me, and agree that he is slowing our attacks down

he has talent but I'm not sure he particularly has the drive to make the most of it tbh.
coasts thru games (and his career)
looks good when it's going well otherwise a luxury which I guess is why he's surplus for Chelsea

Very good quality player. Clearly he isn't fit enough to be playing the amount of minutes he's being asked to and it's damaging his confidence. He will probably get another injury soon due to bad management.

Very good quality player. Clearly he isn't fit enough to be playing the amount of minutes he's being asked to and it's damaging his confidence. He will probably get another injury soon due to bad management.

Its not bad management though is it. This is the pattern of his career and if it wasn't the case he wouldn't be on loan with us that's for sure.

I’ll give him until the end of the season before passing a verdict on a permanent signing, currently like he said after the Southampton game he is playing more than he is training so he’s obviously not fit and wouldn’t be playing if Smith had more confidence in our squad players.

If he picks up another injury or his performances don’t vastly improve over the season then we’ll have to look at other options.

Last edited:
He's a good player who is out of form. He scored the winner in his last game, we won against Newcastle and there was nothing wrong with our attacking play against Burnley so I can see why DS has been playing him. That was his worst performance in a Villa shirt by some distance though.

I suppose it's up to Barkley and DS as to whether he starts against Arsenal. He was absolutely incredible against them in the reverse fixture, so if he shows enough in training over the next couple of days I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the starting 11 again.

Its not bad management though is it. This is the pattern of his career and if it wasn't the case he wouldn't be on loan with us that's for sure.

Knowing he is an injury prone player as you say, running him into the ground knowing he's unfit and just back from another injury will be bad management. Could easily use Sanson, Traore or Nakamba and gradually easy Barkley back in.

Sorry but he really is quite a lazy fucker with a lack of commitment to his mates in the team. He doesn't track which is one thing, but he doesn't come and offer himself to players unless he wants the ball. The problem is other players in possession might need help or an option but he's not the kind of player to put himself out for them.

Don't get me wrong, he's talented and a threat going forward, but the team has to carry him and accept he's not going to help them out if they're in trouble. That's why when you have him and Traore in the same team its great in the opponents half but a nightmare shift for anyone playing behind them.

Sorry but he really is quite a lazy fucker with a lack of commitment to his mates in the team. He doesn't track which is one thing, but he doesn't come and offer himself to players unless he wants the ball. The problem is other players in possession might need help or an option but he's not the kind of player to put himself out for them.

Don't get me wrong, he's talented and a threat going forward, but the team has to carry him and accept he's not going to help them out if they're in trouble. That's why when you have him and Traore in the same team its great in the opponents half but a nightmare shift for anyone playing behind them.

For all those very good reasons should be dropped against Arsenal.

At times it seems Luis is the only barrier in front of our defence and he is out of form as well.

We'll have to see whats what at the season but at the moment I'd lean towards not making the loan permanent. Of course if he can regain full match fitness and his form picks up again then I wouldn't be against signing him.

Right now I'd let him go back to Chelsea and sign a top class, 30m+ left winger that would allow us to move Jack back into the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.