The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 24 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen enough tbh. Talented - yes, but lazy, poor decision making, lacks commitment and is very inconsistent for a player who is now 26 and should be able to demonstrate what he can do week in week out.

I'm sure he'll turn it on again at some point, score a fabulous wonder goal, put an assist in or two, but for me its not enough for where we want to go.

When you now see the career trajectory of SJ in comparison with Ross its very interesting. Ross has been hyped from a young age, got his big move early, got plaudits too early without actually showing it consistently.

SJ has done his time being relegated, doing an apprenticeship in the championship for 3 years and then stuck with it last season into this. Just goes to show really.

deffo not worth the reported £40 million asking price and if we pay that then we have more money that sense like someone has already pointed out lazy and more often than not makes the wrong choice seems sometimes that he is playing for himself to try and regain his england place . dont think he likes being upstaged by jack and olly barkley is good in flashes but so is trez and el ghazi

I think we all saw Barkley's frustration at not performing as he can when he came off.

He's certainly capable of putting in a match winning performance. Getting him up to and keeping him a level where he can do it week in and week out is the challenge.

When you look across our squad, how many players do we have who can reach that level? One? Maybe two?

I'm not saying we should sign him up right now. I just don't think we should write him off just yet.

I'd be more than happy to keep him, he's still a top footballer, and when he arrived first the feeling was that he had elevated us to another level.

Obviously there are pros and cons to him, and we know both. But if anyone can get the best out of him I would imagine it's our current staff.

Is £40m really that much these days anyway? If it's a choice of spending that money on Ross or a gamble from the continent, then I would take Ross all day long.

Doesn't look fit enough at the moment, played through injuries for us at the start of the season before eventually getting injured, knows he's getting some stick currently so he said after the Southampton game he's played more minutes in games than he has on the training pitch, Yet we're just expecting him to perform with a new club with no pre season under his belt, lacks fitness coming back from injury, and who knows if he was one of the lads with covid and has been struggling.

He's definitely a confidence player and I reckon if the crowds were there he would perform to a higher level, Villa fans shouting him to shoot every time he's on the edge of the box, he'll love it and thrive on it for me.

With all that said I don't think he's good enough for 30-40m with how many games he'll likely miss in a season, If we could get him for anything less than 25m which I think is very reasonable then we've done alright, he'll get better with us there's no doubt about it but it's a messed up season and I think he needs time to adjust, unfortunately for him with how he started the season we expect instant results from him every game.

Last game I thought he offered very little because his passing was pretty poor for his standards 69% as was Marvs, he only made 20 passes but he made 3 key passes, 4/5 successful dribbles, 5/8 duals ground duals won and if he scored that half volley we probably would be talking about him slightly differently, that said it's 3 goals 1 assist in 12 matches which isn't too bad but a player in his position he should be assisting a lot more for Watkins.

Career wise out of 242 games (177 total game minutes) he's supplied 30 goals and 30 assists, he has never been a highly prolific contributor in that sense and it was way back in 2015/2016 when he contributed 15+ goals/assists first and only time in his career to date.

From all of that you're willing for him to do well, to perform a career best, for it all to come together at Aston Villa, to show we're getting a bargain of a player, but we might find much better options elsewhere with more reliability, believe it or not yesterday was his highest game rating since the last Arsenal game.

I think if he had stayed at Everton he'd got better but like a lot of younger players he went to so called big club and is career stagnated not got enough first team football . Now he is here again he'll get better playing more regular football should offer 20 million plus add ons for him

I think if he had stayed at Everton he'd got better but like a lot of younger players he went to so called big club and is career stagnated not got enough first team football . Now he is here again he'll get better playing more regular football should offer 20 million plus add ons for him
think he's only started something like 28 games in the PL for Chelsea since he went there. He's already started 12 for us. I'm struggling to work out if he's not fit or just bone idle

He'd gone stale at Everton, he didn't kick on and they got sick of it and fans (the more vocal) had turned. He got worse after Chelsea showed an interest but wouldn't pay the fee and his performances went through the floor (from memory his game time also went down but it was one of those guised with "injury").

Having rewatched the highlights he was miles better against Arsenal but he doesn't team track back and never will. Injury, fitness, training, sharpness - he's done at Chelsea, if he doesn't get back to his early form with us he'll end up rich, probably in Serie A and on the list of players who were better than their career shows.

think he's only started something like 28 games in the PL for Chelsea since he went there. He's already started 12 for us. I'm struggling to work out if he's not fit or just bone idle
In our own recent sales we can say that Barry and Milner went to the bigger clubs and cracked on, while the opposite happened for Benteke and Delph.
I've never looked up the stats, but I think his performances reflect his role at Chelsea ever since he's been there. He was never a consistent 90-minute player there, and was there for 4/5 seasons. When you go that length of time without regular full matches it has to have an effect on you, especially as it has been for the period where you are building into your peak years as an athlete.
There was one manager at Chelski (Sarri I think) who made the same substitution (of Barkley and another player) every single game and it became a standing joke among their supporters.
I think his frustration at being subbed after 65 minutes yesterday was a case of him thinking "here we go again, same crap I've been getting for the last 4 years."

Having rewatched the highlights he was miles better against Arsenal but he doesn't team track back and never will. Injury, fitness, training, sharpness - he's done at Chelsea, if he doesn't get back to his early form with us he'll end up rich, probably in Serie A and on the list of players who were better than their career shows.
Ramsey showed how to press from that role after he came on. Granted he was fresh so had that advantage, but he was closing down, tracking and pressing far better than Barkley....

Ramsey showed how to press from that role after he came on. Granted he was fresh so had that advantage, but he was closing down, tracking and pressing far better than Barkley....

But he hasn't yet got that moment of magic in him...I hope it comes, but if we can get the best out of Barkley whilst Ramsey (or another) learns that - it's how we have to go. And with the likes of Ramsey, Barry et al the coaches should also be having a quiet word about how long it took Jack to peak. How the likes of Barkley stalled, bring in the likes of Ravel Morrison, that chap from Palace who signed for Spurs (name has gone) - it should all be a learning curve of how quickly they can be forgotten and sidelined.

£40m is way over the odds for Barkley, especially with the likes of Ramsey coming through the ranks and picking up the likes of Sanson for less that £15m (admittedly we haven't seen him play yet).

My feeling is Barkley was a short term "filler", mostly because we were short of quality in midfield. I think we must ask whether he is the future or do we need better. If we want CL football, I don't think he's the answer, we need someone of his standard with a little more consistency....he's just not doing it for me right now and next season he could be overtaken by Ramsey or one of the other youth players coming through (hope we have a Foden or another SJG in the ranks).

I've said it before, I'm not a fan of paying top dollar for a Sky 6 cast off, it strengthens them more than it improves us. Now £15m would be a bargain and we should be that cheeky.

I think a lot depends on how Sanson works out and who else Lange can dig up by the summer.

My gut feeling at the moment is that Barckley, in spite of being a class player in many respects, isn't quite what we're looking for. Whatever, we'll see.

Need to see more from Barkley for him to be signed for £40m IMO. Just hasn't shown enough to warrant that fee.
He's 10m stocking filler at the moment and I don't think he'l sign to sit on the bench every week he'll want a guarantee on playing time which we can't give him. He's no Jack Grealish

Martinez aside I'm not too keen on players deemed surplus at the likes of Chelsea. We should now be aiming to match these sides, so if Ross isn't good enough for them..

£40m is way over the odds for Barkley, especially with the likes of Ramsey coming through the ranks and picking up the likes of Sanson for less that £15m (admittedly we haven't seen him play yet).

My feeling is Barkley was a short term "filler", mostly because we were short of quality in midfield. I think we must ask whether he is the future or do we need better. If we want CL football, I don't think he's the answer, we need someone of his standard with a little more consistency....he's just not doing it for me right now and next season he could be overtaken by Ramsey or one of the other youth players coming through (hope we have a Foden or another SJG in the ranks).

Not sure I get the faith in Ramsey tbh. Nothing to suggest he is coming through the ranks massively as he has played mere minutes so far or showing that he is placed to overtake someone like Barkley in the pecking order with us or anyone at this level. He is nothing more than another promising young plAyer of which we have had many over the years. We have just let another one go in Green. Barkley is in poor form but there is an England and champions league experienced player there and Ramsey is miles away from that now and will be next season .

I‘d prefer we get proven strength and depth first. That is how we climb above mid table and then we get stabilised up there we can bring the promising unproven ones to get their experience and be nurtured through.

Status
Not open for further replies.