The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubting the fact he's a great player, but 30 mill plus is a helluva gamble for a lad with his injury record. I doubt we will sign him permanently but stranger things have happened. If he stays fit for the rest of the season who knows...but an injury yet again to his hamstring after only playing seven or so games of football does worry me.

We spent £30m odd on a championship player in the summer so £40m isn't that much of a stretch for a quality operator at this level in Barkley.

By the summer he'll have had a season with out fitness coaches who will have a good idea of how robust he could be. That could decide it.

We might find him playing well within himself as he did for the Leicester match, before he scored the winner. There are ways of managing things.

What are peoples views on signing Barkley if we have the opportunity in the summer?

Without doubt I think he has been a quality addition to our side; I also think he has brought the best out in Jack.

My concern is his history of pulling hamstrings and the amount of time this can cause a player to be out.

With all due respect to Ross, for me, its a gamble not worth taking. The remainder of this season is likely to have a major influence on his long term future.

I just commented on a Tweet suggesting he could be ours for £28m in January.

I'm a fanboy of his but the harsh reality is that while he's shown what he's capable of for us, his injury record suggests we may be getting mugged at that kind of money.

For me, I'd pay the £15m Chelsea paid and no more - it's likely that these repeated hamstring issues are going to end his career at the top level within a few years.

If the fee is well north of that then it simply has to be based on appearances.

Last edited:
Not sure if posted elsewhere (apologies if it has).

But a bitnof useless news I saw today, was an interview with Super Jack. He'd been on the blower and texting Ross since the start of the season, telling him that they were a much improved side this season and they'd be 'up there' Ross was umming and arring as to his options, and then apparently the Fulham game sealed the deal and he was impressed with how Villa played and decided to join us. Quite interesting that other players watch the games and don their research rather than maybe just all about money and agent advice.

On that note, i can imagine we'd be a very attractive option come January.

Not sure if posted elsewhere (apologies if it has).

But a bitnof useless news I saw today, was an interview with Super Jack. He'd been on the blower and texting Ross since the start of the season, telling him that they were a much improved side this season and they'd be 'up there' Ross was umming and arring as to his options, and then apparently the Fulham game sealed the deal and he was impressed with how Villa played and decided to join us. Quite interesting that other players watch the games and don their research rather than maybe just all about money and agent advice.

On that note, i can imagine we'd be a very attractive option come January.

On that note - he's also said Keinan Davis is THE best hold up player he's ever shared the pitch with - said he was better than prime Benteke.

Either Jack is a terrible scout, or we're yet to see the best of Keinan.

Are we any the wiser as to what is happening with Barkley, why he wasn't on the bench at United and when he is going to play?

Are we any the wiser as to what is happening with Barkley, why he wasn't on the bench at United and when he is going to play?
Probably the same thing that’s happened to him throughout his career, he’s never seems to get a run of games without getting injured at Chelsea, Everton and now us. At least it probably knocks £5-10m off the asking price

Seem to remember a match very recently where Smith said, given the nature of his injury, they wouldn't risk him in cold conditions. Unfortunately we're in an extended cold spell.

As it stands, I think we've seen the positives and negatives of Ross Barkley and I think the scales have definitely tilted towards saying our goodbyes in the summer.

Very talented player, but has spent an enormous amount of his career out injured. Can't think of many players who have been injury prone and gone on to have an excellent career in their late 20s and 30s.

If he came on a free transfer, or under 10m, probably worth the risk. For the money Chelsea would want and for the wages he would demand, there's others out there who are less of an injury risk.

For the great finish against Saints , Barkley is showing exactly why he has never kicked on . Probably more to do with the English habit of over hyping players .....such as Walcott etc .
(Lingaard should be considered by Southgate now apparently :lol:).

But nevertheless apart from the goal against Saints he has done nothing of note since being back and his losing the ball and sloppy passing like last night is a hindrance.

He needs to have a significantly better 2nd half of the season before convincing me we should spend the money. You might say that his recent injury has affected him but therein lies the biggest problem and sums his career up maybe. Its a huge issue for him and will ultimately prevent him going on which on the evidence so far is exactly the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.