The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way he didn't warm up properly.

Splitting hairs a bit I know, but I didn't say that. I suggested it was the explosiveness of the contraction before it was sufficiently warm/ ready. He could have done the prescribed warm up dictated by the team but that might not have readied him for taking that kick so early in the match. I'm speculating whether he would have pulled it if he took the same kick 15 minutes later, that's all.

Or he could have a particular physiological weakness/ tendency - he did spend most of 17/18 season out with a hamstring injury.

What are peoples views on signing Barkley if we have the opportunity in the summer?

Without doubt I think he has been a quality addition to our side; I also think he has brought the best out in Jack.

My concern is his history of pulling hamstrings and the amount of time this can cause a player to be out.

With all due respect to Ross, for me, its a gamble not worth taking. The remainder of this season is likely to have a major influence on his long term future.

What are peoples views on signing Barkley if we have the opportunity in the summer?

Without doubt I think he has been a quality addition to our side; I also think he has brought the best out in Jack.

My concern is his history of pulling hamstrings and the amount of time this can cause a player to be out.

With all due respect to Ross, for me, its a gamble not worth taking. The remainder of this season is likely to have a major influence on his long term future.

It's always hard to know with players who are known to be injury prone. A lot of people thought Mings wouldn't be worth the risk but he's barely missed a game since he joined.

If we have the opportunity we should take the risk, he has been quality overall and pushed us on this season.

Would like to see him over a period of time , but on what we have seen so far I would be signing him.
Agree, think we’re the perfect club for him at this stage of his career. Hasn’t really got going at Chelsea so he’s got a point to prove that all the hype when he was at Everton wasn’t misplaced. Injury worries a concern so yep,we need to judge him over a decent period of time but he’s made a very decent start.

It's always hard to know with players who are known to be injury prone. A lot of people thought Mings wouldn't be worth the risk but he's barely missed a game since he joined.

If we have the opportunity we should take the risk, he has been quality overall and pushed us on this season.

He's the closest to a Laursen type player we've got in a while. Clearly head and shoulders above what we have, probably questionable that we managed to sign him in the first place but also with a hint of a risk about how much ball he'll play.

Laursen was world-class on his day or perhaps just shy of world class. Barkley obviously isnt that but he is a Champions League level player on his day. Almost as good as anything Chelsea bought off the continent. He's probably the archetype for that actually, theres a case to be made Chelsea are just looking for the shiny new thing when they had what they needed all along.

He's the closest to a Laursen type player we've got in a while. Clearly head and shoulders above what we have, probably questionable that we managed to sign him in the first place but also with a hint of a risk about how much ball he'll play.

Laursen was world-class on his day or perhaps just shy of world class. Barkley obviously isnt that but he is a Champions League level player on his day. Almost as good as anything Chelsea bought off the continent. He's probably the archetype for that actually, theres a case to be made Chelsea are just looking for the shiny new thing when they had what they needed all along.

They've spent a shedload on shiny new things, so I don't know how Ross goes back there and is not sitting on the bench most weeks.

He has a good relationship with Jack and seems to be enjoying his football, so it could be a possibility.

The injury factor is a very good point when you are considering signing Ross permanantly.

There's no doubt he's a class act, and has improved us, but it's going to cost big money to get him. Maybe £40million+ ?

That's a lot of money to risk, when there is a strong likelihood he is made from glass like Jack Wilshere.

Quality he brings is exactly the level we need.

Whether he can maintain that and not miss too many games remains to be seen over the course of the season.

The injury factor is a very good point when you are considering signing Ross permanantly.

There's no doubt he's a class act, and has improved us, but it's going to cost big money to get him. Maybe £40million+ ?

That's a lot of money to risk, when there is a strong likelihood he is made from glass like Jack Wilshere.

I don't get the sense that Barkley is as fragile as Wilshire. Just checked and Barkley is a year younger and played nearly 30 PL games more.

I reckon if we could get him for 25- 30 million , that would be fine. I can't see many clubs paying £40 million +tbh.

Barkley will only have 2 years left on his contract in the Summer, so think they will be pretty keen to move him on. Its difficult to put a price on players these days but I'd hope £30-35m would be enough.
If they dont sell the end of this season his value will drop massively and they always run the risk of him sitting it out another year and walking away for nothing

He did have a bad injury which kept him out for like a season but outside of that he has been ok injury wise.

Injuries might depend on the way he's managed. Maybe he needs a different way of warming up.

Would his wages be higher than we want to pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.