The Owners & CEO Thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

The Owners & CEO Thread

The LV Villans will be the 30th MLS franchise. Are they going to have two leagues with promotion and relegation?

These guys might be billionaires, but building a club from scratch isn't cheap especially when a stadium is required. Plus this is in their backyard so will it interest them more than the bottomless pit that is Aston Villa with nothing to show in terms of trophies and the gap to the top getting wider in the PL.

A lot of the stadiums in US sports are owned by the local governments. Its one of the reasons why it makes things easy for a "franchise" to relocate to a different city in search of more income. The Raiders NFL team relocated from Oakland to Vegas last season as the local council built them a huge shiny new stadium, so I would guess they would move straight into that.

Watching an interview with Purslow that is a few days old and I thought it interesting that they see January as an “opportunity” window and summer as strategic.

As much as I think he’s a half a blagger and charmer there’s definitely plenty of calculation going on there too. There are elements in the club that I’d nearly say are among the most well run in Europe. Villa being Villa though I’ll continue to be cautious and try not to get carried away.

Interesting take on our transfer window, the savings made by the club and our FFP status:

How Aston Villa's January transfer business could save them millions - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Do the Birmingham Mail have anything to actually say rather than writing speculative articles about what might happen in the future and running Football Manager simulations with players that we've been linked with.

It's a damning indictment on the local 'Villa correspondent' Ashley Preece that he didn't have one single exclusive in this January transfer window. What a joke of a media outlet.

As V57 says, Birmingham Mail :rotfl:

Birmingham mail:rotfl::rotfl:

I'm a bit sceptical of their "experts" , may as well ask @mike_field
It's that football finance guru, not the BM who are the source of the data and the story. No-one knows the exact figures at play but it's an interesting take on the business we concluded during the January window. In the past we didn't have the players who could be shipped out on loan and they all sat around stinking up the place. If correct:

Loans £10m saved
Digne £6m (ammortised over 4yrs) + wages
Cortinho wages
Chambers wages
Olsen wages

If you suggest that the total cost to the club is net £2-5m spend on additional wages over the next half of the season, it's fairly neutral, so we still have YKW income to spend in the summer plus the TV income. When was the club ever run like this in the recent past?? It's taken years for us to get rid of players who just couldn't do a job for us and just collect wages.

In another article somewhere we have spend £275m building our squad - transfermarkt has total cost of £350m less £120m in sales net £230m since we got back into PL with a current squad valuation of close to £400m.

All of the above may be total fiction, but it appears that we have a much more valuable squad that what we have paid for them - which makes me think we're on the right path.

Last edited:
So apparently NSWE rebranded to a new name called 'V Sports' and Nas and Wes are also close to buying a minority stake in Portuguese club Vitoria Guimares.

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...04/aston-villa-partnership-talks-in-portugal/

So it's not inconceivable that Aston Villa would be the centre of a portfolio with a new MLS franchise in the Las Vegas Villains and in the Portuguese League in Vitoria, I can kind of see their plan, bring in and develop as many youth players as you can and then get them playing time in other leagues, before hopefully reaping the benefits.

Be a bit of a risk to let young men with a very healthy bank balance loose in Vegas.

My theory, and its more to do with the super league than us, is that once a breakaway league is confirmed which is a closed shop. They'll globalize the game and make it more seasonal. I can see United and Madrid setting up an outcamp in New York with Barcelona down in Spain and City in LA.

I feel like the game is moving toward globalization in a way the NFL and NBA has not been able to achieve or monetize. If you can pluck a globally recognized brand like Liverpool and drop them in a capitalist American sports setting you easily double or triple revenue. Some of these clubs are already more valuable than most of the American franchises.

Be a bit of a risk to let young men with a very healthy bank balance loose in Vegas.
The lure of Vegas gets old very fast. Shiny and tempting if you're there for a few days. Venture into the suburbs and you see another side of the city altogether - sketchy would be an understatement....

My theory, and its more to do with the super league than us, is that once a breakaway league is confirmed which is a closed shop. They'll globalize the game and make it more seasonal. I can see United and Madrid setting up an outcamp in New York with Barcelona down in Spain and City in LA.

I feel like the game is moving toward globalization in a way the NFL and NBA has not been able to achieve or monetize. If you can pluck a globally recognized brand like Liverpool and drop them in a capitalist American sports setting you easily double or triple revenue. Some of these clubs are already more valuable than most of the American franchises.
Vegas has the same problem as my old home, Phoenix, in that it is 110+ degrees and cloudless during the middle of the summer/MLS season. The Phoenix attempt to build a club has virtually died, despite some big backers.
Never understood why MLS wants to play a reverse-season, but while they do the southern desert locations will struggle to attract teams and/or players.

Vegas has the same problem as my old home, Phoenix, in that it is 110+ degrees and cloudless during the middle of the summer/MLS season. The Phoenix attempt to build a club has virtually died, despite some big backers.
Never understood why MLS wants to play a reverse-season, but while they do the southern desert locations will struggle to attract teams and/or players.
Agree with your point regards the nasty side of VEGAS, walked it, seen it but I still felt safer walking around those outer suburbs than Handsworth, Lowell’s,,five ways etc during my night shifts working for the city council back in the 90s, same as every other city in the world, good and bad parts. I am sure the Vegas Football stadium when built, will have a roof and climate control to make it pleasant for fans just like the incredible dome arena built for the boxing, NFL,other sports, concerts that just opened when I last visited Vegas.

Was'nt sure where to put this so thought why not here .
Oliver Holt has done a bit of a rant article in the the mail about premier league it's owners and greed .
It starts of about the suggestion about an independent regulator for the league but then goes on a spree of what I think most of us fans feel like at the moment and he does not hold back .
The last paragraph made me think " fair do's " .

" Instead of that, Premier League executives, mesmerised by money and reluctant to relinquish power, have made us prisoners of their greed, too. They have defaced our game. They have sullied it, vandalised it and bastardised it. They don't deserve to be allowed to run it any more. The sooner it is rescued from them, the better. "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...r-League-owners-insulted-long-trust-gone.html

Decent article (considering its the Daily Fail)...

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/...cking-gerrard-to-catapult-club-into-the-elite

This bit made me laugh though...

Gerrard, chief executive Christian Purslow and sporting director Johan Lange visited Kamara, a France international midfielder, at his home and watched him help Marseille beat Nantes in April. It was a public display of love that convinced Kamara to pick Villa over Atletico Madrid.

We all know it was a jolly and they should have been at BMH getting serious work done :fish:

Decent article (considering its the Daily Fail)...

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/...cking-gerrard-to-catapult-club-into-the-elite

This bit made me laugh though...

Gerrard, chief executive Christian Purslow and sporting director Johan Lange visited Kamara, a France international midfielder, at his home and watched him help Marseille beat Nantes in April. It was a public display of love that convinced Kamara to pick Villa over Atletico Madrid.

We all know it was a jolly and they should have been at BMH getting serious work done :fish:

Wow - the three musketeers watched Kamara help beat Nantes whilst he was still at home, no wonder we signed him if he's that good. And more importantly, why were the public in his house?