The Owners & CEO Thread | Page 32 | Vital Football

The Owners & CEO Thread

I would assume, as an investment, the club is worth a whole lot more money as a PL club than a championship one.

The question now is, would the investment required to make the CL spots be worth it to the value of the club?

I think it might be. Citeh have spent £1bn making themselves into a sterile winning machine. They are talking about Utd being worth more than £4bn. I would guess Citeh must be worth around the same.

You would have to assume that Aston Villa would be worth something similar if we spent £1bn over the next ten years making our fans bored of routine wins.

That's another level of thinking beyond how a fan thinks, fans think owners are like them and that is where we go wrong, our owners have been our saviours literally but they aren't Villa fans they are investors.
Something that comes as a shock they and only they will know when the time is right to sell

They aren't going to make money on the club, i doubt that very much , given how much they are in already , £200-300m ?
I calculated Randy Lerner lost over £100,000 per day for the privilege of owning Aston Villa for a few years. Basically an expensive toy. That was a whole different level of incompetence though

I'm not convinced that NSWE are thinking of chucking in £100m a season for the next ten years. I wouldn't blame them either.

It's a much safer investment to let the club finance itself. The asset will inflate in value over time so they don't have to do anything to make money on Aston Villa.

spot on mate, it's like why people in the UK are obsessed with house prices and the fact that inflation pays your mortgage.
Football inflation will double their investment provided we stay in the PL and milk the TV money. Getting into the CL every year might not be worth the extra cost it will take

This summers spend has been more or less netted off by selling an academy starlet. Another reason maybe why they are investing in the academy so we can use that as a revenue stream

The line coming from journalists with actual decent contacts within the club has been that if a specific target who will improve the team looks like they could be available then the club will make a move. If not then the club is happy to wait rather than cross their fingers and pull in just anyone. What we've seen in terms of action by the club is entirely consistent with that. Obviously we're all impatient in wanting improvements where we see them needed but it's easy for us to say.

Net transfer spend as a means of judging the owners' commitment really falls down when you've sold a British transfer record player and then got one of Europe's best midfield prospects in on a free transfer in the last year. In the last year we've improved the first team with 2 no.10s, at left back, at centre back (achilles tendons to one side), at defensive midfield, and arguably at striker (depending on how Danny Fags plays this season). Bailey is the closest positional replacement for Grealish - obviously he's not an improvement, but he could still be a good player for us.

A realistic starting 11 for Everton could have been:

Emi
Cash - DC - Mings - Digne
McGinn - Kamara
Bailey - Coutinho - Buendia
Ings

That's 6 players out of 11 who we bought in the last year and only 1 is a definite downgrade on who they're replacing. Not bad.

Good observation.

But these sort of lines are often trotted out when the appetite for spending has dried up. "Get rid of the dead wood" "Get the high earners off the books" - We have heard it before.

I really can't understand why we aren't more youth focused at first team level ? - And in Stevie G we have a manager who in his time at Rangers promoted not one youth team player .............but purchased 38 players !!!!

Seems we may have appointed a cheque book manager - but closed the chequebook.

Good observation.

And in Stevie G we have a manager who in his time at Rangers promoted not one youth team player .............but purchased 38 players !!!!

Disappointing to see Gerrard preferring the likes of Young off the bench than Irogbunam and Bailey instead of Archer. I hope this trend does not continue

Good observation.

But these sort of lines are often trotted out when the appetite for spending has dried up. "Get rid of the dead wood" "Get the high earners off the books" - We have heard it before.

I really can't understand why we aren't more youth focused at first team level ? - And in Stevie G we have a manager who in his time at Rangers promoted not one youth team player .............but purchased 38 players !!!!

Like I said yesterday 97% of Cat1 academy kids never ever see a minute of PL football
so you can forget youth, nobody does it . They ALL buy success or not as the case maybe

Like I said yesterday 97% of Cat1 academy kids never ever see a minute of PL football
so you can forget youth, nobody does it . They ALL buy success or not as the case maybe

I know we can't build a whole team around youth players - but surely Archer, KKH, Timmy ibuprofen deserve a shot - especially when Ashley young is getting ahead of some of them.

I know we can't build a whole team around youth players - but surely Archer, KKH, Timmy ibuprofen deserve a shot - especially when Ashley young is getting ahead of some of them.

The Law of averages says no unless we are happy with the bottom 6 sadly

I'm not convinced that NSWE are thinking of chucking in £100m a season for the next ten years. I wouldn't blame them either.

It's a much safer investment to let the club finance itself. The asset will inflate in value over time so they don't have to do anything to make money on Aston Villa.
This is possibly where it's heading.

The difference between us and the likes of Man City and Newcastle is that our owners aren't hear to sports wash and treat us like a glorified toy. Our owners are proper business men and are obviously not as wealthy.

Don't get the "money has dried up" hype. The owners are investing heavily in the infrastructure, the ground, the training facilities. None of us know the signing on fee for Kamara (reportedly £30m) so we haven't "broken even" this transfer window. We also have no idea how COVID affected income and what the club has to do to remain the right side of FFP.

The plans for the North and Trinity Stands are complete I believe (worth more than £100m) and a new indoor training academy. I'd say they are thinking long term and not like fans who only think about the last and the next game.

They've also invested over £400m on the players since promotion and McGrath only knows how much on wages. Yes, some of this has been offset by sales but that doesn't suggest owners that are happy with mediocrity, it suggests suitable investment strategy with an aim to make us financially independent at some stage.

Last edited:
Maybe they are going to try and keep us financially stable and in the EPL whilst other clubs fail , crippled by massive debt piles eg ManU, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton, Liverpool, Leicester, Bournemouth etc etc all have enormous debts

Don't get the "money has dried up" hype. The owners are investing heavily in the infrastructure, the ground, the training facilities. None of us know the signing on fee for Kamara (reportedly £30m) so we haven't "broken even" this transfer window. We also have no idea how COVID affected income and what the club has to do to remain the right side of FFP.

The plans for the North and Trinity Stands are complete I believe (worth more than £100m) and a new indoor training academy. I'd say they are thinking long term and not like fans who only think about the last and the next game.

They've also invested over £400m on the players since promotion and McGrath only knows how much on wages. Yes, some of this has been offset by sales but that doesn't suggest owners that are happy with mediocrity, it suggests suitable investment strategy with an aim to make us financially independent at some stage.

Is that you Doug?

Not sure that's true. Last season Ramsey played most games, Carney had 2 starts (?) and many more minutes, second most played 18/19 year old in the PL. In truth I guess the amount of game time kids get is based on ability and not many can reach the level required.

Ramsey was already playing when Stevie G arrived.

Carney has since been sold.

Like I say Stevie G didn't promote one youth team player in his time atime at rangers. I really don't see that changing here.

And how much have those plans cost ? (not the projected development costs- but how much to draw up those plans)

Those plans to my knowledge are not yet approved - and even if they are they could still be placed on hold - its not a given that the new north stand will go ahead.

And how much have those plans cost ? (not the projected development costs- but how much to draw up those plans)

Those plans to my knowledge are not yet approved - and even if they are they could still be placed on hold - its not a given that the new north stand will go ahead.
No, they might realise that Villa doesn't have 50k of home fans that will turn up to watch a team win 6 home games a season. I've been going for 54 seasons and even when we had a ground that big it was never full every week. It was full for the perceived big games but not every week. Football is a once fortnight thing not a day out to Alton towers once every couple of years .