Summer Transfer Thread | Page 43 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

Well it certainly worked well playing Darickwa and Power last season and not even giving Scully a chance.
Where did we finish?
Just remembered, um bottom and didn't even look like staying up.
So you think that was the reason for getting us relegated?
I’d suggest it was more to do with not strengthening the squad, non paying of wages affecting morale, ridiculous appointment of a manager and points being deducted.

Barrow's done an interview on the official site, he talking about the young players getting a chance and seemed to indicate that we aren't planning to go too far down the youth route for this season. They'll get their chance but won't be thrown in if they aren't ready.

If we can get a fee for Lang sell him. He’s ok for league one. But that’s his limit.

He's worth about 20 goal contributions in L1, only reason you'd want to lose that is if you could raise enough money to buy a player who could replace that this season and potentially be even better.

We aren't going to get offers to that level at the moment. So if we accepted a lower fee we'd end up not able to replace him with someone as good and no better off.

Lang is a fantastic asset to the club. He was brilliant in the title winning season, but maybe more importantly, when he returned during the admin season it brought a real sense of an upturn in fortune. I dont think his role in the clubs recent history should be down played. He frustrates, irritates and can be a right pain in the arse at times, but his potential is huge. With the coaching of Maloney and Barrow and on a easier league 1 stage, he has real potential to develop in to a championship player. I would expect to see an entirely different and confident Callum Lang when he gets his next shot in the Championship. Not to mention he's one of our own and seemingly feels at home with us

Lang is a fantastic asset to the club. He was brilliant in the title winning season, but maybe more importantly, when he returned during the admin season it brought a real sense of an upturn in fortune. I dont think his role in the clubs recent history should be down played. He frustrates, irritates and can be a right pain in the arse at times, but his potential is huge. With the coaching of Maloney and Barrow and on an easier league 1 stage, he has real potential to develop in to a championship player. I would expect to see an entirely different and confident Callum Lang when he gets his next shot in the Championship. Not to mention he's one of our own and seemingly feels at home with us
If he was that good clubs would be knocking at the door. Wanting him. One goal return last season. From a forward. That’s one of the reasons we didn’t stay up. See what happens this season if he stays.

If he was that good clubs would be knocking at the door. Wanting him. One goal return last season. From a forward. That’s one of the reasons we didn’t stay up. See what happens this season if he stays.
Aye, that's why I said potential with the right coaching. We know he's more than capable at this level so if, as you say, Championship clubs aren't interested why would we give him away for next to nowt? We know we wouldn’t get anyone as good to replace him. You could see his confidence ebbing away last year, hence the stupid dives and play acting. Maloney was a creative attacking wide man who would chip in for a handful of goals. If Callum is willing to listen and learn then there is absolutely no reason he can't do the same. All the physical attributes are there, he just needs to be taught how to use his eyes and his brain

Aye, that's why I said potential with the right coaching. We know he's more than capable at this level so if, as you say, Championship clubs aren't interested why would we give him away for next to nowt? We know we wouldn’t get anyone as good to replace him. You could see his confidence ebbing away last year, hence the stupid dives and play acting. Maloney was a creative attacking wide man who would chip in for a handful of goals. If Callum is willing to listen and learn then there is absolutely no reason he can't do the same. All the physical attributes are there, he just needs to be taught how to use his eyes and his brain
We have had good players before in league one teams. And watching them you know they are on the way up. Baines. Walsh Newel Lowe Langley. Aspinall. The list goes on. Watching. Them week in week out. You knew. They were going to a higher level. Peter Atherton. Sorry, but Langs not one of them. That’s my thoughts any way m

Last year in the Championship in 1's Lang was still beating his man most of the time. But he wasn't good enough to regularly beat 2 or 3 Champ defenders (not many are). People talk about his diving, but i think often he'd look up and he'd have no absolutely support and went down trying to win set pieces due to a lack of options.

The issue was he was our only player with any pace or creativity, so all opposition teams had to do every game was double up on Lang and you completely nullified all of our attacking threat.

If we had any other threat in the side teams wouldn't have been able to so easily afford to crowd Lang outy and he'd have had more time and space to perform better.

Now we are going to have some more pace and actually try and play some decent pass and move football it's going to open things up for Lang. Lang didn't perform as we hoped last season, but i think if we can get the team playing the right way and got back up in the future i think he's got the potential to do much better.

Last year in the Championship in 1's Lang was still beating his man most of the time. But he wasn't good enough to regularly beat 2 or 3 Champ defenders (not many are). People talk about his diving, but i think often he'd look up and he'd have no absolutely support and went down trying to win set pieces due to a lack of options.

The issue was he was our only player with any pace or creativity, so all opposition teams had to do every game was double up on Lang and you completely nullified all of our attacking threat.

If we had any other threat in the side teams wouldn't have been able to so easily afford to crowd Lang outy and he'd have had more time and space to perform better.

Now we are going to have some more pace and actually try and play some decent pass and move football it's going to open things up for Lang. Lang didn't perform as we hoped last season, but i think if we can get the team playing the right way and got back up in the future i think he's got the potential to do much better.
We all see the game differently that’s for sure.

I think the problem was Lang picking the ball up far too deep. If he’s in and round the box he’s a threat. Our midfield last season wasn’t creative enough and didn’t offer anything going forward, fullbacks/wingbacks also offered nothing going forward either. That meant Lang was had every little service and kept dropping deep to get possession.