Summer Transfer Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

Totally agree on Yates but still to be convinced on Walker. He seems to have the attributes which is good but at 23 I want to see him stepping up at Championship level.

He is at one of the biggest clubs in the division and we also have a bit of a striker shortage albeit he would struggle to dislodge Grabban if he stays fit. To my mind it’s the perfect stage for him and I really hope he can take it.

My point was that if he doesn’t make the most of this opportunity he could well be fated to be nothing more than a league one or jobbing championship striker at best.

Knowing our luck and history though he will struggle until he leaves and then flourish. It’s the Forest way in recent years...

Tyler hasn't really been given much opportunity since he came back and that is made worse by the fact that the formation doesn't appear to suit him.

He's not a winger and he's not a No.10, but playing the role that Grabban does is so hard to learn - when, he only gets cameo appearances, because Grabban is so good at it.

He's young with potential and time to develop, plus with better coaching you would hope he would benefit.

Tyler hasn't really been given much opportunity since he came back and that is made worse by the fact that the formation doesn't appear to suit him.

He's not a winger and he's not a No.10, but playing the role that Grabban does is so hard to learn - when, he only gets cameo appearances, because Grabban is so good at it.

He's young with potential and time to develop, plus with better coaching you would hope he would benefit.
That’s certainly what I am hoping but if the formation doesn’t suit him then I could see us selling him as I doubt SL would want to change his formation.

He could do worse than learning from Grabban for a while and try to take any opportunities that come his way so I think it could be an interesting close season for him and us with some big decisions to be made.

i see Grimsby have reached a financial agreement with their 10 remaining contracted players to not play again until they can play in front of a crowd.

Holloway is saying this shouldn't be done until a vaccine can be found.

Does Holloway say what should happen if like AIDS a vaccination is not found.

That’s certainly what I am hoping but if the formation doesn’t suit him then I could see us selling him as I doubt SL would want to change his formation.

He could do worse than learning from Grabban for a while and try to take any opportunities that come his way so I think it could be an interesting close season for him and us with some big decisions to be made.

My thoughts exactly - SL (& his team), with Grabban, could actually help him learn - but, he was brought back because it was so expensive going after the strikers in January.

Mir was woeful!

We brought in Nuno (who promptly got injured) and Diakhaby (not seen much to warrant him being kept), but that still left us short.

You'd think we'd have a busy summer ahead, but all plans must have been torn up & re-started since lockdown.

My thoughts exactly - SL (& his team), with Grabban, could actually help him learn - but, he was brought back because it was so expensive going after the strikers in January.

Mir was woeful!

We brought in Nuno (who promptly got injured) and Diakhaby (not seen much to warrant him being kept), but that still left us short.

You'd think we'd have a busy summer ahead, but all plans must have been torn up & re-started since lockdown.
Definitely. And that’s before we factor in the possibility of the pray offs.

Would be nice to see Walker step up and vie with Grabban and maybe even replace him some day. If not then we are going to have to shell out again which seems to be a recurring theme.

Would be nice to see Walker step up and vie with Grabban and maybe even replace him some day. If not then we are going to have to shell out again which seems to be a recurring theme.

Plenty of teams interested in Tyler!

I"ve never seen him play but have followed his progress, or lack of it, pretty well since he started. Eventually I formed the impression that he had a football brain but he never seemed to be able to get the ball in the net playing in the championship. It would be great if I was proved wrong.

Plenty of teams interested in Tyler!
Other than Huddersfield I am not sure any of them are above league one level though but happy to be proved wrong. The level of the interested parties would go some way to getting an idea how he is rated within the game.

As you and others have said, based on his league one record and before all of this the going rate would have been at least £3m and probably more if he had been at Peterborough.
I am just glad to be talking about football again. Makes a more than pleasant change.

I"ve never seen him play but have followed his progress, or lack of it, pretty well since he started. Eventually I formed the impression that he had a football brain but he never seemed to be able to get the ball in the net playing in the championship. It would be great if I was proved wrong.

He scored against Leeds..... sadly, we then proceeded, in typical Forest style - to shoot ourselves in the foot in the following matches.

He has all of the attributes but he needs games at this level to help him put it all together. He also needs to be playing in a set up that suits him. Whether that’s us is debatable. At the moment he is a bit of an enigma and difficult to predict where he will end up.

Other than Huddersfield I am not sure any of them are above league one level though but happy to be proved wrong. The level of the interested parties would go some way to getting an idea how he is rated within the game.

As you and others have said, based on his league one record and before all of this the going rate would have been at least £3m and probably more if he had been at Peterborough.
I am just glad to be talking about football again. Makes a more than pleasant change.

Finances will inevitably point many teams into developing 'their own' or by signing less expensive players, both wages and fees.

More so than ever, clubs like Forest will have to look at the benefits of loaning expensive EPL fringe players (like Mir & Muric) compared to developing the likes of Tyler, Swan, Smith, Shelvey, Johnson, Mighten, Yates etc etc

Yes - that's still going to be skewed by the EPL sides, although I do give the Blades credit for how they have managed their resources/budgets.

Hopefully, Forest & others will seek to move to being more self financing.

He has all of the attributes but he needs games at this level to help him put it all together. He also needs to be playing in a set up that suits him. Whether that’s us is debatable. At the moment he is a bit of an enigma and difficult to predict where he will end up.

I wouldn't say he's an enigma - he (as you say) needs to be playing regularly, but not at Grabban's expense.

He needs to adapt because I cannot see us or any other team altering their formation to suit him.

Change is not beyond him and he must have seen enough of our games to understand what is required; that change has to come from him because all the coaching in the World will not help if he has his own ideas.

The one issue that stands out for me is his work rate, or lack of it; he seems to coast through games, although you cannot fault his goal scoring instincts - he might get away with that in L1 but he wont in this Division.

He will never be able to play the lone striker like Lewis does but there are no reasons why he should not be able to play in the role that Ameobi and Lolley play.

Playing the inside forward role off of Grabban should be ideal for him; his natural instincts should have him running into the spaces Lewis creates, something we have been crying out for all season; he needs to add to the defensive side of the game before he will be trusted to play there though.

He has the potential to save us a fortune in the transfer market.

He needs to adapt because I cannot see us or any other team altering their formation to suit him.

Change is not beyond him and he must have seen enough of our games to understand what is required; that change has to come from him because all the coaching in the World will not help if he has his own ideas.

The one issue that stands out for me is his work rate, or lack of it; he seems to coast through games, although you cannot fault his goal scoring instincts - he might get away with that in L1 but he wont in this Division.

He will never be able to play the lone striker like Lewis does but there are no reasons why he should not be able to play in the role that Ameobi and Lolley play.

Playing the inside forward role off of Grabban should be ideal for him; his natural instincts should have him running into the spaces Lewis creates, something we have been crying out for all season; he needs to add to the defensive side of the game before he will be trusted to play there though.

I agree whole heartedly. I don’t see him displacing Ameobi, Lolley, De Costa or Silva at present. Is he better off learning by watching at Forest or learning by playing somewhere else. The same could be said of Johnson and Mighten. I think we will hold off on any decision till we know outcome of this season and shape of next. Walker needs to play at championship level now. Johnson and Mighten at LG 1 or 2.

Agree with all aspects, especially the need to adapt his game - something I'm forever preaching to the players that I'm coaching.

Some are adamant that they can just play in one role/position, but are then disappointed when they have to sit and wait for the position to become vacant.

I remember Tyler scoring a brace against QPR (I think) a few years ago, playing from a pre-dominantly wide right attacking position.

He definitely has the attributes, but like Ben Brereton - sometimes you have to adapt your game for the team and work rate (look at Leeds) is paramount.

I agree whole heartedly. I don’t see him displacing Ameobi, Lolley, De Costa or Silva at present. Is he better off learning by watching at Forest or learning by playing somewhere else. The same could be said of Johnson and Mighten. I think we will hold off on any decision till we know outcome of this season and shape of next. Walker needs to play at championship level now. Johnson and Mighten at LG 1 or 2.

Ameobi is an enigma and I forgot to add him to the 'exceeded expectations' list - in my opinion, despite his own lack of consistency, he is worth a contract extension.

That said - I had genuinely heard that Derby & a few others were interested in signing him!