Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

I don't disagree that he was poor by his own standards, but he also provided the corner for Hopper's goal at Sunderland and hit the bar in the final.
The one player in midfield that can really create or turn a game in an attacking sense. When at the top of his game we would miss him massively. Still about the best in the division last season.

A lot of calls for a Tom Hopper type back up player but WHY?
Blackpool had Ellis Sims from Everton on loan and scored a hatfull though injured for Wembley and Jerry Yates. Yates isn’t big and isn’t a big target man but he is a top class League One striker. He basically played up top on his own workEd his socks off and never gave our CBS a moments rest on Saturday and has scored a lot of goals too.
To be successfull we need to be flexible and more varied so one big target man who doesn’t score many but works hard for the team is enough. I would love a Jerry Yates type player either on loan or signed as a variation to what we have.

Blackpool had Ellis Sims from Everton on loan and scored a hatfull though injured for Wembley and Jerry Yates. Yates isn’t big and isn’t a big target man but he is a top class League One striker. He basically played up top on his own workEd his socks off and never gave our CBS a moments rest on Saturday and has scored a lot of goals too.
To be successfull we need to be flexible and more varied so one big target man who doesn’t score many but works hard for the team is enough. I would love a Jerry Yates type player either on loan or signed as a variation to what we have.
I would argue Yates was the difference between the 2 teams on Sunday - so yes, would not disagree here.

Yates cost Blackpool £200k plus add-ons and a 3+1 deal (or was it 4+1, I can't remember).
3 years plus option for another year
Had hardly set the world alight previously on a series of loans, before 12 goals in 25 games at Swindon in 19/20

You do have to question how Blackpool could possibly have met the demands of the salary cap, had it not been abandoned. Wages apart, they used at least £400,000 of their £2.5m allowance to buy Yates and CJ Hamilton.

You do have to question how Blackpool could possibly have met the demands of the salary cap, had it not been abandoned. Wages apart, they used at least £400,000 of their £2.5m allowance to buy Yates and CJ Hamilton.

I thought the salary cap only applied to player remuneration?

JT_LCFC said:
Would welcome back Palmer back in a flash, possibly one of the Imps top 3 keepers of all time?

This is not a criticism of Palmer, but not by a long way.

Apart from anything else it's very difficult to narrow it down to just three top keepers of all time.

A few candidates:

Dan McPhail, Jimmy Jones, Mitchell Downie, Peter Grotier, David Felgate, Alan Marriott, and whoever anyone else can think of.

Very difficult to narrow the list down to three, with or without Palmer, especially without having seen half of them play.

JT_LCFC said:
Would welcome back Palmer back in a flash, possibly one of the Imps top 3 keepers of all time?

Apart from anything else it's very difficult to narrow it down to just three top keepers of all time.

A few candidates:

Dan McPhail, Jimmy Jones, Mitchell Downie, Peter Grotier, David Felgate, Alan Marriott, and whoever anyone else can think of.

Very difficult to narrow the list down to three, with or without Palmer, especially without having seen half of them play.
Matt Gilks, Rob Burch, even Ryan Allsop.

But switching attacking patterns means fundamentally changing the way we play. We used Morton as another Hopper because it was more efficient than changing up the entire system for a different kind of forward.

I don't understand this at all. Bursik came off his line for just about every cross Sunderland launched into our box.

I reckon he came for 2 that he claimed in his midriff after calling his defence for it and one he claimed over his head under no pressure. I don't recall making a single claim in the middle of a crowded six yard box to relieve pressure on his defence...

There's the one on the highlights where they hit the bar from a free header on the 6 yard box with Bursik on his line that he didn't come for (not that he should have in my opinion but if we are talking about "not dominating your six yard box")
header.jpg

Perhaps you had this in mind when thinking he "dominated his box" by taking a perfectly routine catch into his midriff...
take1.jpg

Shows you how much memories differ. I recall him coming off his line to challenge for corners on several occasions when the ball was swung into the six year area.

And the free header was just outside the six yard box, and definitely not a keepers ball.