Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

I've provided some criticism of Palmer before on areas I thought he could improve, but I would be happy to see him return as at this level he is very good.

With regards to Morton it's a no from me. For many reasons previously said, but also I do not think his touch is particularly good for a striker, from what we have seen this season. Many times he has received the ball in what should be a goal scoring position but the chance is lost due to a poor first touch.

It's not a criticism of him at all to say that we might be able to do better. He is one of the best keepers we've had, but that doesn't mean we can't do better. Habergham was one of our best left backs in my lifetime but we upgraded (through necessity) with Toffolo. Eardley was regarded as one of our best ever right backs but Eyoma was a significant improvement when he was playing there. Bruno Andrade was considered by many to be a Championship player in waiting, yet Johnson has been more effective. We might not find anyone better, but the club has shown significant improvements in recent years and I hope we can keep it up.

We have far more priorities than upgrading the quality of an excellent keeper who can clearly play for a top side pushing for automatic promotion. If we managed to get Palmer on loan again that would be more than good enough to secure that position quality wise.

We should instead be focussing on getting some support for Tom Hopper so if he is injured we can bring in someone with similar qualities and we should also be doing the same for Liam Bridcutt. Both of these positions have been a big achilles heel of our squad when either of the these two are not available.

Scouring the leagues trying to upgrade a keeper who has been one of the most consistently outstanding performers of our season shouldn't even really be on our radar...

We have far more priorities than upgrading the quality of an excellent keeper who can clearly play for a top side pushing for automatic promotion. If we managed to get Palmer on loan again that would be more than good enough to secure that position quality wise.

We should instead be focussing on getting some support for Tom Hopper so if he is injured we can bring in someone with similar qualities and we should also be doing the same for Liam Bridcutt. Both of these positions have been a big achilles heel of our squad when either of the these two are not available.

Scouring the leagues trying to upgrade a keeper who has been one of the most consistently outstanding performers of our season shouldn't even really be on our radar...
Absolutely this. Palmer coming back would be a very good signing, not sure it will happen though.
I'd also add, central defender. That is, unless we can guarantee the fitness of Walsh and Jackson.

Honestly surprised that there is anyone that wouldn't take him back. Great goalkeeper, knows the Appleton, good shot stopper and decent command of his area.

As the saying goes, sometimes you don't realise what you've got until it's gone. Though I do trust Appleton to get a good replacement.

If Palmer returns absolutely and great as far as I'm concerned. If he doesn't a new number 1 is a priority. Sam Long is a very good prospect, but it's too soon for him to be expected to get that shirt now.

I think Palmer has suffered because he’s been well protected if that doesn’t sound completely crazy. Can’t remember many if any games where we’ve been under the cosh and he’s turned in a MOM performance. I think the season ratings will best this out, many times recording 6 because nothing to do.

Of course upgrading Palmer isn't our biggest priority and as I said, I'd be happy to have him back. However, upgrading him absolutely should be on our radar considering he isn't even our player and there's nothing to say we are going to get him back. I'd rather us look for upgrades than look for someone worse.

I am not critiquing Palmer at all. But the reality is I think he will be at least the backup keeper at WBA next year. They are currently virtually certain to sell their current keeper so we will have no choice but to find another keeper.

I think people are getting a little carried away and entitled if they think we can actually afford do better than Palmer. Granted, you might come across a GK who turns out better but to be actively looking for someone better than Palmer in L1 is a tough ask IMO. Not saying we shouldn't be looking to better every position because that's what it's all about.

He very rarely gave you that nervous feeling that the likes of Farman used to do, or even Vickers at times.

Max Sanders, doesn't he play a similar role? He's hardly been seen so far, and was very highly rated at Brighton, so with a full pre-season behind him he may come good?

Max Sanders, doesn't he play a similar role? He's hardly been seen so far, and was very highly rated at Brighton, so with a full pre-season behind him he may come good?

Very highly rated by the Brighton fans, saying he could easily be one of the best CMs in our division after signing him. Obviously we haven’t really seen any of him yet but he is one I am definitely looking forward to seeing plenty of game time next season.

Plenty of opportunities to pick up young keepers in need of game time while our own Sam Long develops.
Look at Robert Sanchez, on loan at Rochdale in 19-20, made his PL debut at Brighton six months ago, and is now in Spain Euro squad.

Palmer's stats year were only bettered by a couple of keepers in terms of goals conceded/shots faced %age. Let a few in that he might have stopped, but let's remember he had a new and inexperienced defence around him (that changed personnel a lot after Christmas). Best stats here were by Joe Bursik albeit in only ten games at Doncaster.

Of course upgrading Palmer isn't our biggest priority and as I said, I'd be happy to have him back. However, upgrading him absolutely should be on our radar considering he isn't even our player and there's nothing to say we are going to get him back. I'd rather us look for upgrades than look for someone worse.

Actually I was referring to "we can do better". I don't think we need to "do better" as a matter of priority, someone of equal capability to Palmer who isn't going to cost a fortune will be absolutely fine and more than good enough to get us promoted.

Very highly rated by the Brighton fans, saying he could easily be one of the best CMs in our division after signing him. Obviously we haven’t really seen any of him yet but he is one I am definitely looking forward to seeing plenty of game time next season.
I’ll be fascinated to see how Sanders develops, especially with the influence of Bridcutt maybe coaching him (assuming Brids starts to move towards the coaching side of the game If he plays less 🤔)

"He has a lot of good qualities - superb at handling crosses, has a commanding presence, good with reaction saves and one-on-ones,"

Palmer was good at handling crosses - when he came for them. The problem was he often stays rooted to his line and relies on his centre backs to clear the ball within the six yard box.

I watched quite a few games this season alongside an ex-pro high division goalkeeper, and he pointed out many occasions when Palmer should have come for crosses that were only a few yards from his goalline.

In his view, Palmer is a very decent league one goalie, but would struggle at championship level unless he has two very commanding centre backs in front of him who consistently win headers inside the six yard box. Good shot stopper, bit slow to get down to low shots occasionally, decent with his feet when his confidence is high.

Whether we would find anyone better at our level is very debatable. But it is doubtful he will be here, so that that has to be the aim. If MA and Jez can't find anyone better and Palmer is available, he will be welcomed back.

But that will apply to anyone and any position - if MA/Jez think they can bring in better within our budget, then they will do.

"He has a lot of good qualities - superb at handling crosses, has a commanding presence, good with reaction saves and one-on-ones,"

Palmer was good at handling crosses - when he came for them. The problem was he often stays rooted to his line and relies on his centre backs to clear the ball within the six yard box.

I watched quite a few games this season alongside an ex-pro high division goalkeeper, and he pointed out many occasions when Palmer should have come for crosses that were only a few yards from his goalline.

In his view, Palmer is a very decent league one goalie, but would struggle at championship level unless he has two very commanding centre backs in front of him who consistently win headers inside the six yard box. Good shot stopper, bit slow to get down to low shots occasionally, decent with his feet when his confidence is high.

Whether we would find anyone better at our level is very debatable. But it is doubtful he will be here, so that that has to be the aim. If MA and Jez can't find anyone better and Palmer is available, he will be welcomed back.

But that will apply to anyone and any position - if MA/Jez think they can bring in better within our budget, then they will do.

He must have thought Bursik was a shambles then...

Personally Palmer seemed to not get to much around Christmas onwards. Seemed bizarre as he was exceptional pre Christmas.

Surprised to see a few saying Grant will go to the Championship, on his return from injury I didn’t see anything to suggest he is Championship standard. His two highlights from the play offs being missing a penalty and giving the ball away leading to a goal in the final. Seems harsh but needs the summer to reset and get back to what made him great prior to his injury.

Would take TJ or Rogers back in a heartbeat but unfortunately I think both are destined for the Championship.

Personally Palmer seemed to not get to much around Christmas onwards. Seemed bizarre as he was exceptional pre Christmas.

Surprised to see a few saying Grant will go to the Championship, on his return from injury I didn’t see anything to suggest he is Championship standard. His two highlights from the play offs being missing a penalty and giving the ball away leading to a goal in the final. Seems harsh but needs the summer to reset and get back to what made him great prior to his injury.

Would take TJ or Rogers back in a heartbeat but unfortunately I think both are destined for the Championship.

I don't disagree that he was poor by his own standards, but he also provided the corner for Hopper's goal at Sunderland and hit the bar in the final.