Steve Cooper | Page 14 | Vital Football

Steve Cooper

This regime resemble a teacher who is persisting with the lesson plan they wrote even as chairs fly across the classroom and kids are lighting farts out the window (I assure you such sights have never been seen in any classroom I have been in charge of BTW).

Your point is spot on- do they actually realise just how badly in the shit we are?

This is an appointment that is probably the most uninspiring and wrong-headed since McLeish; but if we were hovering around 12th it would make sense, even if it would be deeply boring (and almost certain to not work).

But we are 24th and four points from safety, having played one difficult team FFS
I honestly think they have no concept of how deeply in the mire we are. They have their plan and that is it. It feels like they think they can appoint someone and it will all work out. It won’t. Of at least it won’t if whoever they appoint is not up to the challenge and/or if they don’t get the next window absolutely right.

Even had we been 12th there would have still been a need to get things right but in 24th place (23rd if Derby get that points deduction) there is absolutely no margin for error.

Howe or Wilder would get the adrenaline flowing. Big Sam we would at least know what we were getting. The left field appointment of someone like Christian Ilzer would have been exciting but worrying for his lack of experience of English football.

Cooper however just doesn’t convince me. Two playoffs in two years is a good record but despite what reports say he had a good squad both seasons. He has little experience and nothing to suggest he can deal with our problems. There are plenty of worse managers out there but that doesn’t make him the right choice.

There is nothing we can do however and we just have to see if he is appointed and judge him on his results.

My enthusiasm is at rock bottom so I really hope if he is appointed that he proves me wrong and quickly.

If not I think things could really come to a head with our current ownership.

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if he came in following a resounding and entertaining win master-minded by Reid? 😳

I’m always sceptical of managers who have only been at one club, and who have had moderate success. For me, Cooper fits that profile.

The appeal of Wilder should far exceed that of Cooper. His whole managerial career has been built around fire-fighting at provincial football clubs, many of whom were underachieving. He has managed for multiple seasons at each of his clubs and won multiple promotions.

That‘s before you start to talk about style of play.

Honestly don't know whether I can be arsed to keep going if they are going to appoint a manager just as boring, ineffective and negative as the last one.

I don't want Cooper here.

I don't want to support him

I don't want to watch the dull wank he serves up.

I don't want to watch him struggle and flounder because he isn't going to get anything out of this squad.

I don't want to watch the bollocks the club spout about a long term strategy when they have completely fucked the right to any long term thinking by their own fuck ups

I'm not sure I can take another game of 4-2-3-1

I don't think anyone at the club actually cares whether we stay in this league or not

Wow, there is alot of moaning there but i do believe at the end you have finally articulated the cancer at the heart of our club.

It deserves highlighting.

Football is now a multi billion pound business stuffed full of professionals but does anyone give a damn after their wages.

That one simple thing probably explains everything that is happening to us. We have loads of well paid professionals but no one who actually cares about nottingham forest football club.

I don’t know a lot about him, but it sounds like Cooper’s got a reputation as an innovative coach with a style of play that meshes with what we’re told that Murphy wants to pursue. The problem is that there are countless coaches with good reputations who just don’t cut it as first team managers. The best managers are pragmatic enough to take decisions to get results quickly, whilst also having a style of play they cultivate over time. I’m not encouraged by what I’ve read about Cooper. He seems to have done okay (debatable) at a club that was recently in the Prem and therefore well-resourced, whilst not being popular amongst fans of that club for the style of play. He might turn out to be an outstanding manager, but I’m not seeing any evidence in his record that suggests he knows how to deal with the situation we are in. Wilder, on the other hand, has lots of credentials: he successfully fought against relegation (Northampton); he got teams promoted by playing an attractive style (Northampton, Oxford, Blunts); and he showed tactical flexibility whilst at the Blunts. It seems strange not to appoint him over Cooper.
peopple seem to be dismissing winning the u17s world cup and making the euros final consecutively as tho anyone could do it. Thats a bloody great recent achievement. woul dhave learned a lot about club mnagement in his first job. seems a real quality coach on the up. Id take him with optimism

peopple seem to be dismissing winning the u17s world cup and making the euros final consecutively as tho anyone could do it. Thats a bloody great recent achievement. woul dhave learned a lot about club mnagement in his first job. seems a real quality coach on the up. Id take him with optimism
No, not anyone could do it

Fucking great players could do it.

Is that what he'll have here then?

If he can come in and comfortably keep us up this season, show signs of playing a more progressive and exciting style of football, and continue to play and develop our young players then he'll win a lot of goodwill from fans.

Any chance of success this season has already gone, so let's hope he can show some encouraging signs for next season.

Nobody is dismissing it but it is largely irrelevant in terms of what we need which is someone who can dig us out of this rather large hole we are in.

If he can come in and comfortably keep us up this season, show signs of playing a more progressive and exciting style of football, and continue to play and develop our young players then he'll win a lot of goodwill from fans.

Any chance of success this season has already gone, so let's hope he can show some encouraging signs for next season.
To be honest I would settle for him just keeping us up. Anything else is a bonus.