Steve Cooper | Page 13 | Vital Football

Steve Cooper

And 2 years of negative football has left us at the bottom (along with a shitty owner / board) - we are looking like we will go down. Howe has taken a team from the bottom of league 2 to the PL. (Playing nice football.) That's what we will need.

We need wining football before any of the trimmings. The players at our disposal need to grind out some results before we start thinking about anything else . Short term is vital now and see where we are come January .

I like Eddie Howe but he was the king of the castle at Bournemouth and wielded a lot of power and influence at that football club - he won’t have the same luxury here so not sure it would work.

What they do in training and on the pitch are two different things.

The events on the pitch are the only one we have visibility of; Hughton was in charge of that and has paid the price.

If the training and coaching was the issue, Gary Brazil would have picked up on it and Reid would have followed Hughton out of the door.
But surely they must train for games with the opposition in mind? I know it doesn't look like it!

Honestly don't know whether I can be arsed to keep going if they are going to appoint a manager just as boring, ineffective and negative as the last one.

I don't want Cooper here.

I don't want to support him

I don't want to watch the dull wank he serves up.

I don't want to watch him struggle and flounder because he isn't going to get anything out of this squad.

I don't want to watch the bollocks the club spout about a long term strategy when they have completely fucked the right to any long term thinking by their own fuck ups

I'm not sure I can take another game of 4-2-3-1

I don't think anyone at the club actually cares whether we stay in this league or not

I was thinking that they might want to replace the signs where they put the manager's name with one of those signboards that scrolls red dot matrix messages, saying "Today's manager is....."
Maybe a guest manager every week like they have a guest presenter on Have I got news for you..

Honestly don't know whether I can be arsed to keep going if they are going to appoint a manager just as boring, ineffective and negative as the last one.

I don't want Cooper here.

I don't want to support him

I don't want to watch the dull wank he serves up.

I don't want to watch him struggle and flounder because he isn't going to get anything out of this squad.

I don't want to watch the bollocks the club spout about a long term strategy when they have completely fucked the right to any long term thinking by their own fuck ups

I'm not sure I can take another game of 4-2-3-1

I don't think anyone at the club actually cares whether we stay in this league or not
I think whoever comes in, the football will be turgid and attritional. We need to grind out results based on the strength of our defence and nick goals as and when we can as we don’t particularly have much strength in the goal-scoring department.

As for 4-2-3-1 I just don’t get the hate. Used properly it is a good attacking formation but it needs the right players and manager.

Our problem is that the two in the middle have been too defensive while the full backs have been shackled. This goes totally against how the formation works. Add to that the fact that the 3 have nobody prepared to put their foot on the ball and try to dictate our attacks. All we have are runners.

Long balls to a striker who isn’t cut out for it don’t help either and it just means that goals are harder than ever to come by. We have no attacking menace which just heaps more pressure on the defence.

The problem is whatever formation is picked we need to get the balance of attack and defence right. We are no more likely to win using 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 unless we put the right players in place and give them the right instructions and leeway.

I think whoever comes in, the football will be turgid and attritional. We need to grind out results based on the strength of our defence and nick goals as and when we can as we don’t particularly have much strength in the goal-scoring department.

As for 4-2-3-1 I just don’t get the hate. Used properly it is a good attacking formation but it needs the right players and manager.

Our problem is that the two in the middle have been too defensive while the full backs have been shackled. This goes totally against how the formation works. Add to that the fact that the 3 have nobody prepared to put their foot on the ball and try to dictate our attacks. All we have are runners.

Long balls to a striker who isn’t cut out for it don’t help either and it just means that goals are harder than ever to come by. We have no attacking menace which just heaps more pressure on the defence.

The problem is whatever formation is picked we need to get the balance of attack and defence right. We are no more likely to win using 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 unless we put the right players in place and give them the right instructions and leeway.
4-2-3-1 with a defensive manager is 6-3-1.

And that's what it will be with this one.

I have absolutely no problem grinding it out. I'll take anything not to be a league one fan again.

I see absolutely ZERO in his career that suggests he has ever done it or can do it.

I don't give a shit what young players he's worked with. In our situation that experience is worse than fucking useless.

To stay up you need to score goals.

We can't do that. As soon as the opposition score, a win is beyond us.

Cooper is exactly the same kind of manager. He isn't going to teach this bunch how to score goals. He couldn't do it with a really very good side. He's got zero chance with this lot.

I keep banging on about Murphy, but I think every one of his decisions so far has been disastrous for the club, and this will be the worst of them. I just cannot understand how anyone with a shred of competence could look at the current situation and reach the conclusion he has.

I have absolutely no problem grinding it out. I'll take anything not to be a league one fan again.

I see absolutely ZERO in his career that suggests he has ever done it or can do it.

I don't give a shit what young players he's worked with. In our situation that experience is worse than fucking useless.

Cooper is exactly the same kind of manager. He isn't going to teach this bunch how to score goals. He couldn't do it with a really very good side. He's got zero chance with this lot.

I keep banging on about Murphy, but I think every one of his decisions so far has been disastrous for the club, and this will be the worst of them. I just cannot understand how anyone with a shred of competence could look at the current situation and reach the conclusion he has.
Probably missed that here somewhere but what conclusion has he reached?

I agree with almost everything you have said re cooper and what needs to be done to win.

But I reserve my judgement on the subject of your last paragraph.

We definitely do go 6.3.1 we would probably get a few scoreless draws in we went 9-1 though.:oops:

But 4-3-3 with a defensive manager becomes 4-5-1 or even 6-3-1. 4-4-2 is similar.

Wikipedia suggests 4-2-3-1 is Cooper’s default although he has been known to deviate to a back 3.

The problem isn’t the formation. It’s the players we have and the manager. Like you I am far from convinced by Cooper. The fact that he sets up to be hard to beat is fine. The fact that his teams can grind out results is also fine. The games without goals or even shots is worrying. The fact that he only has two season’s experience and has never been in a relegation battle is unnerving at best.

This is an appointment geared to the ‘plan’ of bringing in young players and developing them. It seems to take no notice of the fact that we are in the shit.

If he is appointed I will support him fully but right here, right now, I am far from convinced that he is the best or even the right man for the job.

But 4-3-3 with a defensive manager becomes 4-5-1 or even 6-3-1. 4-4-2 is similar.

Wikipedia suggests 4-2-3-1 is Cooper’s default although he has been known to deviate to a back 3.

The problem isn’t the formation. It’s the players we have and the manager. Like you I am far from convinced by Cooper. The fact that he sets up to be hard to beat is fine. The fact that his teams can grind out results is also fine. The games without goals or even shots is worrying. The fact that he only has two season’s experience and has never been in a relegation battle is unnerving at best.

This is an appointment geared to the ‘plan’ of bringing in young players and developing them. It seems to take no notice of the fact that we are in the shit.

If he is appointed I will support him fully but right here, right now, I am far from convinced that he is the best or even the right man for the job.
This regime resemble a teacher who is persisting with the lesson plan they wrote even as chairs fly across the classroom and kids are lighting farts out the window (I assure you such sights have never been seen in any classroom I have been in charge of BTW).

Your point is spot on- do they actually realise just how badly in the shit we are?

This is an appointment that is probably the most uninspiring and wrong-headed since McLeish; but if we were hovering around 12th it would make sense, even if it would be deeply boring (and almost certain to not work).

But we are 24th and four points from safety, having played one difficult team FFS

I was thinking that they might want to replace the signs where they put the manager's name with one of those signboards that scrolls red dot matrix messages, saying "Today's manager is....."

Would bring a whole new meaning to Manager of the Month !

The longer this drags on, I hope that we will not make a knee jerk appointment (like Cooper as many of the punters are suggesting), but a well considered, and thought through appointment, someone who is both solid yet entertaining.
Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be someone out of the blue: maybe a European, or an unknown Yank.