Steve Cooper | Page 9 | Vital Football

Steve Cooper

I’d love for us to raid Luton, get Nathan Jones. Or Mark Bonner of Cambridge. Or the former Celtc manager, Ronny Deila. All excellent with young talent.

Who would you like to see appointed, Pope?
I'm not really doing that because I just don't know who is realistic.

Give me a name and I'll say whether I'm amenable or not and why

Must admit I am not 100% convinced by him but not sure who is out there that we would for and that we could get.

I'm not really doing that because I just don't know who is realistic.

Give me a name and I'll say whether I'm amenable or not and why

Nobody knows who’s realistic. Wages, sign on fees or buyouts, they’re all unknown to the lot of us.

The question is who do you think could do a good job here, while still reasonably believe he/she is attainable.

A new manager/head coach. Playing and developing the young players. Playing an attractive style football.

Come on, who’d you want?

Nobody knows who’s realistic. Wages, sign on fees or buyouts, they’re all unknown to the lot of us.

The question is who do you think could do a good job here, while still reasonably believe he/she is attainable.

A new manager/head coach. Playing and developing the young players. Playing an attractive style football.

Come on, who’d you want?
I would literally take any short term appointment Who could get 150% from these players, get them looking like a Championship team and get us clear of danger.

Any.

That includes Chris Wilder, Billy Davies or Beelzebub himself it that was what it takes.

I don't know if Chris Wilder can steer a team away from rock bottom but I really don't see anything in Cooper to believe he can.

I've had 2 big bobs today chaps.

I normally only have a morning evacuation but having walked the dog tonight, picking up a bottle of water at Bramcote Lane Co op, and walking home sipping it, I suddenly got weight on. Absolutely huge bob again, possibly bigger than this morning. The thing is I've not had much to eat at all today.

I think the news that Hoigttune has gone is the reason for the double foulage.

I'm suddenly at ease.

What do you think?

I would literally take any short term appointment Who could get 150% from these players, get them looking like a Championship team and get us clear of danger.

Any.

That includes Chris Wilder, Billy Davies or Beelzebub himself it that was what it takes.

I don't know if Chris Wilder can steer a team away from rock bottom but I really don't see anything in Cooper to believe he can.

Why a short term appointment? And how short?

Does that mean you have someone spesific in mind for the long term?

Why a short term appointment? And how short?

Does that mean you have someone spesific in mind for the long term?
I don't mean a short term contract.

I mean, we need to think about the situation in the here and now. Not a manager who is going to do X in three years or "develop young players for the future", when we desperately need to scrap to even earn a future

I think they are looking at his work with young players and the blinkers are firmly on with regard to anything else.
I figured hes exactly the type of manager Murphy wouldb interested in.

Its not that long ago thr England kids were winning the world cup, after making the final of the Euros ( or the other way around)They had some great talenttt but they were part of a well oiled machine, and alho not conceding goals they pretty much scored for fun, half the team scored a cpl of goals or more in that tourney. solid at the back but certainly not defensive at all, it was exciting.

So it dint work out at Swansea for various reasons, bit difficult to judge from outside the club, H'es still had a manager of the month this year and made the play ofs.

he's a was also known at one point for bringing in speciific attacking coaches for when in pocession and defensive ones for when out of pocession, and I dont think weve had attacking coaches in there for a few seasons.

Swansea can be judged as good or bad or indifferent I sippose (i thought they weere decent if unspectacular) but if I look back to the England set up and how well he did there and add a little bit of championship experience to it then Id have to be quite optimistic that it is indeed the progressive allround football DM wants

I think they are looking at his work with young players and the blinkers are firmly on with regard to anything else.
Absolutely

Has anyone actually told Murphy that this is a competitive league with relegation?

He seems pretty oblivious to the fact in all his actions.

He's applauding himself for lowering the age and cost of the squad despite his work having more or less condemned us to a lower league.

He'll want a manager to work with young players we won't be able to keep in a fantasy future we'll never have

Absolutely

Has anyone actually told Murphy that this is a competitive league with relegation?

He seems pretty oblivious to the fact in all his actions.

He's applauding himself for lowering the age and cost of the squad despite his work having more or less condemned us to a lower league.

He'll want a manager to work with young players we won't be able to keep in a fantasy future we'll never have
That is the thought that worries me.

We have brought in players based on strict criteria with the main one being age. Depending on whether you count Horvath we have failed to strengthen the keeper position, only partially strengthened midfield and spectacularly failed to strengthen up front.

The squad we have is unbalanced again and doesn’t look like it is up for a fight.

We are now looking at a manager with a history of working with young players which is fine apart from the little problem of him only having worked with a strong squad for this division. He does not have that here although he had a decent defence if he can get it working.

What he also doesn’t have is any history of dealing with relegation or having to really work on motivating demoralised players. As you said, Tammy of them were shell-shocked Wednesday and whoever comes in will have to turn it round fast.

I am not saying it can’t work. It could. But as you say we have recruited both manager and players based on a limited set of criteria that does not include the ability to get us out of the shot we are in.

My fervent hope is that we are not too far adrift come January at which point we bring in players that are up to the job of helping us survive.

Eddie Howes odds have come down dramatically
Not convinced Howe could do what we need although he at least he has experience of relegation battles even if some of those experiences weren’t good.

Can’t see it happening though and the odds change just means someone or some ones are lumping on based on a hunch or wishful thinking.

I don’t know a lot about him, but it sounds like Cooper’s got a reputation as an innovative coach with a style of play that meshes with what we’re told that Murphy wants to pursue. The problem is that there are countless coaches with good reputations who just don’t cut it as first team managers. The best managers are pragmatic enough to take decisions to get results quickly, whilst also having a style of play they cultivate over time. I’m not encouraged by what I’ve read about Cooper. He seems to have done okay (debatable) at a club that was recently in the Prem and therefore well-resourced, whilst not being popular amongst fans of that club for the style of play. He might turn out to be an outstanding manager, but I’m not seeing any evidence in his record that suggests he knows how to deal with the situation we are in. Wilder, on the other hand, has lots of credentials: he successfully fought against relegation (Northampton); he got teams promoted by playing an attractive style (Northampton, Oxford, Blunts); and he showed tactical flexibility whilst at the Blunts. It seems strange not to appoint him over Cooper.

Last edited:
Wilder I think would have half a chance of getting us out of trouble. Howe Would also be a very good appointment. i would give Cooper some hope of succeeding but I wouldnt be as confident as with the other 2. However whoever gets it has a monumental job with this squad. There are so few goals in the team it’s frightening.

this mornings latest odds... Cooper 8-11 (was 1 to 5 on), howe 3-1 (was 18-1), wilder 4-1 (was 3-1). As Pope rightly pointed out relatively small sector to bet in, but the bookies (especially sky) slash odds when talks are progressing. With deadline day over, signings over, at least I can look at this with interest!