Steve Cooper | Page 12 | Vital Football

Steve Cooper

Interesting..I was disappointed that he'd been put in charge..mainly because the team don't look like they've been coached in anything over the last few months. I had no idea he was highly rated. Wonder why we're not seeing his influence on the pitch?

What they do in training and on the pitch are two different things.

The events on the pitch are the only one we have visibility of; Hughton was in charge of that and has paid the price.

If the training and coaching was the issue, Gary Brazil would have picked up on it and Reid would have followed Hughton out of the door.

I would not be so sure of that; if that 350m figure on the side of your bus was referring to the number of years it will take for some kind of success to return, it was bang on.
So you're not blaming Brexit. Differences of opinion are good :grinning:

So you're not blaming Brexit. Differences of opinion are good :grinning:

You say difference of opinions are good and they are

However your Brexit was based on a load of bollocks and you know it

Anyway let's save that for the other Fred

FFS DF and mao, it was a joke never designed to turn this thread into a Brexit debate so DON'T fucking do it!!!!

Live Q & A with Paul Taylor on The Athletic site:

Andy W.
1h ago

With Chris Wilder apparently both willing to come to the club and work with Murphy on transfers is there any news about why he is being overlooked?

I definitely think his achievements with Sheffield are far more impressive than what Cooper did with Swansea where getting to the playoffs should be expected with the squad they have.

@andy w. Don't believe he has ever been on the Forest shortlist. In fact, we are pretty certain that he hasn't.
Forest want certain things out of their next appointment, as they look to implement a very specific philosophy at the City Ground.
They want to build a young, ambitious squad that will grow and improve together while, in theory, only increasing in value.
They want players who are investments, rather than coming towards the end of their careers.
And they want a manager who can help those young men to grow and evolve.
The job Wilder did at Sheffield United was brilliant. Outstanding, in fact.
But Cooper does tick more of those boxes than Wilder does.
In fact, on paper, he is a very good fit for Forest.
He worked with players like Mighten and Johnson (before he switched to Wales) in the England under-17 set-up.
He has a lot of great contacts when it comes to securing the very best young players on loan, from Premier League clubs (which will be an advantage to any Championship side moving forward).
I completely understand that Wilder would be a popular choice.
But one of the reasons he also left Sheffield United was because he did not agree with the club's recruitment policy.
They wanted to adopt an approach where much of the recruitment would be overseen by their recruitment team.
The manager would still have a significant say, but it would be a group effort overall.
Which is exactly the way Forest want to work, moving forward.
The next appointment will be head coach, rather than manager.

Dean T.
1h ago

Daniel T posted on twitter that Vrentzos' role at Companies House has changed from 'chief executive officer' to 'director'. What do the think the significance of this is and can you foresee any more changes at board level?

Paul Taylor
50m ago

@Dean T. It feels like an effort to publicly make clear that his involvement has been scaled back at Forest, which it has been.
But he remains a trusted advisor to Evangelos Marinakis and I imagine he will continue to be a link between Forest and the owner.
And yes, I suspect there will be one more change at board level at some point in the not too distant future, which is still to be confirmed.
like-icon-white.png

Steven H.
1h ago

Will Dane Murphy be given full control of the new managerial appointment?

Any reason Steven Reid has been placed in temporary charge and not Andy Reid?

Paul Taylor
48m ago

@steven H. Dane Murphy has headed up the search for a new boss, yes.
He is back in America getting married (today actually, so good luck to him with that).
But that has not prevented him from being very hands on with the work towards appointing the next head coach.
The pursuit of Steve Cooper has been going on since before Murphy left the UK.
Somebody on Twitter contacted me more than once to demand to know who was making the appointment, as it 'obviously' couldn't be Murphy as he wasn't in the country.
I was proud of myself for not making some sarcastic quip about the existence of telephones...
And S Reid, rather than A Reid has been appointed because, unlike Andy (who is doing a brilliant job with the under-23 side), he has worked regularly with the first team.
He knows the players and they know him. I'm told he is quite well liked among the squad.
It is very likely to be only for one game. But hopefully he has enough understanding of the players to inspire a positive performance tomorrow.

Cooper or Wilder? Have doubts about both. Cooper plays 4:2:3:1 whilst Wilder plays a variety but has had 3:5:2 and 3:5:1:1. Whilst at Shef Utd. That swings it for me. Have had enough of 4:2:3:1 which comes 6:3:1 too easily.

Sadly looks like wilder is out after initial talks

Daniel O.
1h ago

Do you think there are any names under serious consideration other than Coopers or is it pretty much a certainty?
Secondly what’s your view on Steven Reid being temporarily in charge? I would have thought it more desirable to have a complete break away from the Hughton era and maybe Gary Brazil or Andy Reid may have been a better fit, and someone the fans would immediately back. It seems inevitable the new man won’t be in the dugout tomorrow.

Paul Taylor
44m ago

@Daniel O. Cooper is the man that Forest want. There have been negotiations with Swansea over the compensation that would be required to secure his services, which we are told have gone well.
There has been a shortlist of targets, but he was always the one at the top of the list.
Unless something goes very awry with the final negotiations (and there is no suggestion of that) Cooper will be the next manager - sorry, head coach - of Nottingham Forest.
I've already kind of answered the second part of the question, above... but even through these testing times, the support of Forest fans has been brilliant.
It's hard to think that they would not back whoever is in the dugout for one game as interim manager, isn't it?

A pretty balanced article on Cooper:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...ooper-seemed-universally-admired-21134092.amp

The solid defence sounds good as does being able to grind results out. The style of football is a concern but the reality is I can’t remember the last time we had a consistent period of even semi-decent football and as Pope mentioned, we would settle for Beelzebub if he brings winning football. Just not John fucking Terry though!

This is also an interesting read:

https://www.dai-sport.com/steve-coo...-yet-some-swansea-city-fans-just-cant-see-it/

They want to build a young, ambitious squad that will grow and improve together while, in theory, only increasing in value.
They want players who are investments,
That's great in theory and I would love it to succeed, the problem is if you do succeed in developing these young players and their value increases the PL clubs will all be sniffing round and as fast as you build the squad the players will be tempted away by by PL riches. It just seems a fact of modern football you don't get chance to build a squad over time, as fast as the players are developed they are gone.
It would be brilliant if the club could succeed in building and holding on to the players, taking them all the way to the PL but as ever money will talk, and some will want to go to the PL

Given what Swansea fans have been watching for the last decade, compared to what Forest fans have been watching for the last decade, I suspect both sets of supporters have very different standards as to what constitutes "negative, defensive football". I'd love Forest to be as easy on the eye as a "dour" Swansea team right now......

Obviously dodging relegation has to be priority number 1. It does sound like Cooper has some ability to get the team tight, and have them scrapping for points. That's what we need, and what Hughton should have been able to do but seemingly couldn't. If we can start to move away from that relegation zone and Cooper has chance to start working with some of our younger talents, it does also sound like that could be a productive and exciting prospect for fans.

There will be risks, it may not work. That's going to be the case with absolutely any manager who comes into the club. I'd have preferred Wilder personally, but I don't see that Cooper would automatically be a disaster of an appointment. I'll do my best to remain hopeful that we don't find ourselves with 1 point from 14 games and looking for another manager by Christmas.

Last edited:
Mate, when you’re Rock bottom of the league the only nice football is winning football. That’s what I want to see first and foremost!
And 2 years of negative football has left us at the bottom (along with a shitty owner / board) - we are looking like we will go down. Howe has taken a team from the bottom of league 2 to the PL. (Playing nice football.) That's what we will need.

Last edited: