Notts Cricket Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

The Aussies are playing Derbyshire on Thursday. Might go for the day.

Notts are ok in T20 and one day cricket. In fact we've won a few cups, but we still haven't won a County Championship game in over a year, and look like they could go all season without a win. Don't know if the answer is to try and get a couple of Kolpak players. Think we have only had one (Brendan Taylor ?) . It's a route Notts try to avoid, but we just aren't good enough at the top level.

I've learned one thing that I wasn't too familiar with and that's the Apeels system of a limit of two per innings. It might be OK with good umpires but when the umpire is not so good (as has happened in some of these Ashes games) then it's not good enough. And I know it cuts both ways but still doesn't affect my thinking.

Hope the remaining two games are as good as this last one. Should see Smith playing against Derbyshire.

The Aussies are playing Derbyshire on Thursday. Might go for the day.

Notts are ok in T20 and one day cricket. In fact we've won a few cups, but we still haven't won a County Championship game in over a year, and look like they could go all season without a win. Don't know if the answer is to try and get a couple of Kolpak players. Think we have only had one (Brendan Taylor ?) . It's a route Notts try to avoid, but we just aren't good enough at the top level.

Be worth it if either Smith or Warner playing ( however unlikely ) - just to abuse em.

Now then TPL. Our papers say Smith will play in that game. Warner doesn't get a mention but it wouldn't surprise me to see him in action, I think he's on the up. That game might be worth watching.

Was at Trent Bridge last night.
Just when you think the team can’t get any worse...

They were pretty terrible, but at least Worcestershire lost as well, so we get a home game next week in the quarter final. Personally I find T20 really entertaining, whilst at the same time you can't help but think that in a lot of games it's just pot luck who wins.

The fact that it now seems to be the norm to bat first in these evening games implies it does get more difficult to bat later. Were we just useless bowling and batting, or is it harder to see later, or the ball moves more after 8 o'clock? Don't really know what the answer is, but they really went for it in the first six overs, we never really got going.

James Anderson has been ruled out of the Ashes series. He is 37 now, and with Jofra Archer breaking through, it does make you wonder if he will play in any more test matches. He has been a fantastic player for us. Hope he does manage some more games, would be nice for him to get 600 test wickets !

Didn't go to Notts last night. Must admit I thought Middlesex would be too strong, but we won by ten wickets ! Anyone know if Clarke was dropped, or was he out injured?

Strange how batsmen (both Notts and England at least) seem to be able to knock up a decent score with a white ball, even though they have limited time, but when they have all day to score runs the red ball gets them out within a few overs.

Watched on iPad from Spain.
Amazed & delighted in equal measure.
Pretty sure Nash selected on merit - and so pleased for him.

James Anderson has been ruled out of the Ashes series. He is 37 now, and with Jofra Archer breaking through, it does make you wonder if he will play in any more test matches. He has been a fantastic player for us. Hope he does manage some more games, would be nice for him to get 600 test wickets !

As a fast bowler his age is against him, unfortunately. More's the pity.

And I'm beginning to wonder whether Archer might be over rated. I'm sure you folk will have an opinion.

As a fast bowler his age is against him, unfortunately. More's the pity.

And I'm beginning to wonder whether Archer might be over rated. I'm sure you folk will have an opinion.

I will have to look up what happened, but Notts played Sussex a couple of years back, and I got a pretty good picture of Archer. Don't actually remember him doing much in the game, but I could be wrong. Didn't really know who he was at the time.

Looked it up. He took 3-155 against Notts. Doesn't prove anything, but he's not always unplayable. Was actually a really good game. 202 not out for Wessells, and a pretty decent game for Pattinson and Broad. And who remembers Notts actually winning a Championship game !

https://www.skysports.com/live-scores/cricket/nottinghamshire-v-sussex/18374

Last edited:
Got to say that I enjoyed watching this last Ashes game, just for once I thought we were the better side and deserved the win.
Two points stood out to me, first that Warner continues to be mesmerised by Broad who bowled really well again, and second that Smith thrives on that bit of booing still carried on by a few non thinkers.
If I was picking the team Warner would be out of it. Trouble is there seems to be no one to take his place.
I'll be watching at the Oval on Thursday, soon find out.

Prefer to draw a veil of Notts red ball season but my thoughts turning to T20 finals day & the X1 best suited to try & win the thing. For me I’d go with:

Hales
Nash
Duckett
Mullaney
Moores
Samit
Christian
Wasim ( assuming he’s being made available )
Carter
Wood
Gurney

So many players left out - some with claims, others not - inc Clarke, Slater, Libby, Fletcher, Ball, Coughlin, Broad etc

Prefer to draw a veil of Notts red ball season but my thoughts turning to T20 finals day & the X1 best suited to try & win the thing. For me I’d go with:

Hales
Nash
Duckett
Mullaney
Moores
Samit
Christian
Wasim ( assuming he’s being made available )
Carter
Wood
Gurney

So many players left out - some with claims, others not - inc Clarke, Slater, Libby, Fletcher, Ball, Coughlin, Broad etc

Team sounds right to me, though with our lot you have no idea what will happen. Guess all teams have the odd off-day, but in the CC Notts don't seem to have had a decent day in a year or so. We are better in T20 and one day cricket, but the players you have left out only have themselves to blame. I don't think I remember a season where so many of our players have underperformed.

Guess there's an argument for playing Broad if he's available, though he generally underperforms for Notts too.