Notts Cricket Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

He’s paid a price ORF - but that price should’ve been so much higher.
ie Banned sine die

Can't change the rules going back, but I agree TPL that the rules should be clear that cheating like this is a lifetime ban. Same with the drugs cheats in athletics. Does make you laugh that the Aussies called for Broad to be slated on the tour for what (if I remember correctly) was one incident of not walking when he was given not out. Meanwhile going out armed with sandpaper seems to be deemed trivial in comparison with that, even though it seems to have been a team plan. Does make you wonder how many of the other Aussie team players were involved too. Three batsmen got punished, but the bowlers must have known what was going on, otherwise there was no point in doing it.

Can't change the rules going back, but I agree TPL that the rules should be clear that cheating like this is a lifetime ban. Same with the drugs cheats in athletics. Does make you laugh that the Aussies called for Broad to be slated on the tour for what (if I remember correctly) was one incident of not walking when he was given not out. Meanwhile going out armed with sandpaper seems to be deemed trivial in comparison with that, even though it seems to have been a team plan. Does make you wonder how many of the other Aussie team players were involved too. Three batsmen got punished, but the bowlers must have known what was going on, otherwise there was no point in doing it.

Takes two to tango KL and feel that I should add a couple of points which you may have missed in the past. The question of Broad being slated was largely paper talk here, it was a tiny minority who actually got on his back and it died a quick death, and rightly so.
You fellows would be familiar with what reverse swing is all about, and you may have noticed that it doesn't seem to be happening much any more, probably because it's caused mainly by tampering with the ball. Have you read former England opener Trescothics biography where he was in charge of shining the ball in a couple of the Test series? He finally settled with the use of mints in his saliva to shine the ball, against the rules of course. He was never found out. If you have followed Andrew Flintoff over the years (and he's a favourite of mine) he refers to Englands tactics at times and one of his expressions comes to mind "Don't be chucking your stones lads".
"Sandpapergate" seems to have put a halt to reverse swing for the moment but it will be back as soon as somebody finds a new way.
As I've mentioned before ball tampering has been here for yonks, but mainly not apprehended.

:whist:

I was just reading that during the Test games at Lords there's a ban on flags,fancy dress, and the Barmy Army.

Seems a pity to me.

Takes two to tango KL and feel that I should add a couple of points which you may have missed in the past. The question of Broad being slated was largely paper talk here, it was a tiny minority who actually got on his back and it died a quick death, and rightly so.
You fellows would be familiar with what reverse swing is all about, and you may have noticed that it doesn't seem to be happening much any more, probably because it's caused mainly by tampering with the ball. Have you read former England opener Trescothics biography where he was in charge of shining the ball in a couple of the Test series? He finally settled with the use of mints in his saliva to shine the ball, against the rules of course. He was never found out. If you have followed Andrew Flintoff over the years (and he's a favourite of mine) he refers to Englands tactics at times and one of his expressions comes to mind "Don't be chucking your stones lads".
"Sandpapergate" seems to have put a halt to reverse swing for the moment but it will be back as soon as somebody finds a new way.
As I've mentioned before ball tampering has been here for yonks, but mainly not apprehended.

:whist:

Not saying any team is more innocent than any others, but winning shouldn't be about which team can cheat best. The current cricket rules are ridiculous. Ok Australia did more, but wasn't the penalty according to the rules a ban for two or three games?

Not saying any team is more innocent than any others, but winning shouldn't be about which team can cheat best. The current cricket rules are ridiculous. Ok Australia did more, but wasn't the penalty according to the rules a ban for two or three games?

Must admit that I'm not familiar with the current rules so don't know the answer to your question. But have always thought that the way our three players were treated was appropriate as things were then. Reverse swing I think originated in Pakistan a few years ago and seems to have quietened down since Sandpapergate perhaps indicating that some of it, perhaps most of it, might have been against the rules. And that comment applies to most, perhaps all, of the cricketing nations.
More important now though is how the weather will be in Leeds on Thursday and also whether Smith will be playing. In some ways I hope he isn't, wouldn't like to guess at his state of mind.
In any case I think that England will be favourites for this game, just hope the weather doesn't play to big a part.

That's buggered that then !

That must make England favourites, Warner's well and truly overdue, and his mate, I just hope that we put up a decent fight.

I believe that on the day of the hit he had no immediate medical problem and felt O.K. but after a nights sleep he woke up feeling groggy. Probably delayed concussion.
I was also surprised that he came back on the field, would have thought that an Xray and associated stuff would have been required, hope that it's just the one game he misses. Perhaps it's the right time for the other two to step up.

We'll soon find out.

I thought that the way the weather was on Thursday that we were in for a tanking and that the side batting second would end up winners, that being England.
I've just watched the first session today and could hardly believe my eyes. 53 for 6. And the weather is perfect Mind you the Oz fast bowlers have been really good, all 3 of them, not that the game is over, not by a long chalk. If this weather holds up I still think that England are in the box seat.

Had to smile at Warner taking several good catches in the slips, his face really registered his feelings!

Luke Wood has signed for Lancashire, but the good news is that Luke Fletcher has signed up for another two years with Notts. The bad news is Notts really don't have many players worth keeping, despite signing three new batsmen at the end of last year. In fact the only person really justifying his place is 36 year old Chris Nash ! Ben Duckett has now crept up to the 30 passable average. All the rest have been pretty useless, though it's good to see 20 year-old Liam Patterson-White starting well.

England proving that a team should never crow about how well they're doing until after at least one innings from each team ! (54 for 6 at lunch !).

Got to go in a minute and take my seat. This game has turned out to be the most exciting I've seen for a while, it's great to see England coming out of its shell and making a proper fight out of it. Could go either way. Oz need to take quick wickets though otherwise................

Wouldn't take much LK. Lunch now and i'm off to bed, our fast bowlers are not the best today and it's all over for me. Stokes and Bairstow are doing well and are quite likely to be there at the finish. One each and two to go.
Goodnight.

Just watched the highlights. Already knew result but still couldn’t believe my eyes - Stokes was superhuman!
Spent the afternoon at Trent Bridge first watching Loughborough Lightning (surely women should be cooking Sunday lunch - not being allowed out to play sport ?) & then Notts beating Yorkshire.
Not in the same borough as England’s escape - but Notts were losing this game at every stage until the last 5 balls.
Great entertainment at TB - and subsequently TV Ashes highlights.

Did tv think Edgbaston 2005 could be surpassed. But it was. Best innings I’ve ever seen

Yes, some game down at Trent Bridge too ! Yorkshire win all the way till the last two overs. They needed 18 off two overs with six wickets left. Luke Fletcher clean bowled two players, taking two for six off his last over. 12 needed one over to go. Thought Notts would do it, then Fraine hits a six off the first ball. Six to win off 5, but Gurney finally hit form leaving Yorkshire to get four off the last ball. Not many games go down to the last ball !

Good to see Notts doing a bit better.
The Ashes went the way I thought it would, Stokes would have to be in the best form of his life, great to see. He was always the danger man in this game.
Even stevens now, two to go and England feeling a whole lot better, might be two good games coming up.