Notts Cricket Thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

T20 semi - words bloody fail me.
Yet another defeat grabbed from the jaws of victory.

Must be Notts biggest failure in a disaster ridden season. Had my day planned. T20 11 till 2 o'clock. Forest 2-6 . Back home in time for the final.

Never seen such a one sided T20 game. Worcestershire 97-7, then we let them get a decent score. Batting 137 for two with two overs left. Actually only needed ten runs off two overs for a winning tie. Lose three wickets, yet arguably our best batsman, Clarke, doesn't even make it out onto the pitch. Can understand Christian going in, but to prefer Mullaney, Moores and the not very athletic Patel was ridiculous.

Think both Moores (coach and wicketkeeper) need to go , along with Newell and half the team. Can't see that I'll bother with the Championship games next year. Also going into finals day with only one overseas player is ridiculous.

Must be Notts biggest failure in a disaster ridden season. Had my day planned. T20 11 till 2 o'clock. Forest 2-6 . Back home in time for the final.

Never seen such a one sided T20 game. Worcestershire 97-7, then we let them get a decent score. Batting 137 for two with two overs left. Actually only needed ten runs off two overs for a winning tie. Lose three wickets, yet arguably our best batsman, Clarke, doesn't even make it out onto the pitch. Can understand Christian going in, but to prefer Mullaney, Moores and the not very athletic Patel was ridiculous.

Think both Moores (coach and wicketkeeper) need to go , along with Newell and half the team. Can't see that I'll bother with the Championship games next year. Also going into finals day with only one overseas player is ridiculous.

My plan exactly. Almost derailed though. Arrived at Larwood & Voce a couple of overs into the Notts innings only to find screens dominated by Rugby & Football? ( fortunately TBI were showing the cricket )

The club have elected to bury their heads in the sand, say nothing about the season just ended & put their PR team into overdrive to push the bloody franchise circus that is the ?
Sod all to do with the club - they are purely the landlords to one of the franchisees.

The format of The Hundred is terrible, but must admit I am looking forward to seeing some decent players down at Trent Bridge. Joe Root and Alex Hales are a decent start to the squad, but not sure about Gurney. Only the ECB could simplify a game , and make it more complicated ! What is better about 100 balls ? Makes it easy to work out the run rate, but as soon as one ball has been bowled, who can work out what the result is when you divide by 99 !?

I may have misunderstood, but overs are ten balls, but a bowler can bowl 5 from one end, then five from the other end? Does that mean the over is only 5 balls long and he can bowl the next over from the other end, or does it only work if he bowls the last five balls of one ten ball over, then the first five of the next ten ball over from the other end ? I am confused already, and as per the ECB "this game will be simple enough for women to understand " ! (Their statement not mine !).

The pricing will be interesting too. If they want to attract families, will there be family sized prices ? I for one won't pay £86 for a days cricket, which seemed to be the going rate for T20 finals day. Who is going to be left for Notts in the T20 tournament, which I think is being played at the same time ?

A weak Notts T20 team, county championship games against Glamorgan, Leicestershire, Debyshire etc ? Really can't wait.

So Samit Patel is going to cost £60K in The Hundred Draft, and James Pattinson is only £50k ? Will anyone actually sign Samit? With three overseas players in each squad, leaves 96 places for English County players, an average of 5.3 players per county. Notts have about 16 players in the draft, and with Hales and Gurney already drafted , there are going to be a lot of players that miss out. OK there could be more Notts players than say Derbyshire or Leicestershire, but the way Notts played last season, I wouldn't put my money on too many of them.

My thoughts exactly LK. Samit has been my favourite player for a decade or more - but he is, with the best will in the world, not the player he was.
I’m scratching my head to understand why he is ‘marketing’ himself as a £60k player. I just can’t see him being selected.

I believe each team is playing only one game against the others plus one extra game against their "twin". All this build up, and we will get four games to watch ! Joe Root will presumably play in one home game, possibly two max ! if the T20 is played at the same time, are we going to get a Notts team without Hales, Gurney and (say) Clarke, Duckett and any decent overseas players ?

Maybe I've misunderstood all this, as it sounds like I may end up swapping a full Notts season ticket for the possibility of seeing four games, or not bothering at all !

Last edited:
Peter Moores has signed a new two year deal at Notts !! He should have been sacked after the performances last season. Whoever is in charge of recruitment (Mick Newell?) should be sacked too.

Gut feel - Pursehouse & Newell should go.
Moores - after success with more than one county - doesn‘t become a bad coach overnight. Give him another chance.
Re the ? - overhyped franchise waste of space that will not get any of my money!

Watching The Hundred draft. Bored already. Get the teams picked, and cut out the waffle. Wouldn't normally watch, but seeing as I've got my Sky Sports day pass and Forest were rubbish...............

Watching The Hundred draft. Bored already. Get the teams picked, and cut out the waffle. Wouldn't normally watch, but seeing as I've got my Sky Sports day pass and Forest were rubbish...............

My thoughts exactly. Why was every single choice a ‘good pick’ according to the pundits.
Yawned a few times - and switched channels.
And Samit overpriced himself thereby freezing himself out of the comp - just as predicted.

So Trent Rockets are supposed to represent Notts, Derbyshire and Leicestershire. No players from the last two , seven from Notts ! (including Luke Wood, who is leaving). £60k for Mullaney, £50K for Wood and Moores. Surely there must have been some better options out there?

£75k for Duckett and only £40k for Clarke ? Clarke has had a pretty terrible season, but clearly has more talent than some of our more expensive options. No Samit, Jake Ball or Nash.

This is from the Durham site, so it looks like it's the 50 over competition that will be played at the same time as The Hundred.

Notts will be missing Hales, Clarke, Duckett, Moores, Mullaney,Carter,Fletcher and Luke Wood has gone to Lancashire.

Leaves

Slater,Libby,Nash,Patel, Budinger ?, Evison, Patterson-White, Coughlin,Ball, Chappell, Blatherwick . No idea who the wicketkeeper would be. No overseas players allowed !
Assuming Stuart Broad won't be playing.

• 50-OVER COMPETITION: From 2020, the county 50-over competition will be played during the New Competition, in July and August. The counties will be split into two groups of nine – not necessarily along existing North and South lines – and will play each of the other eight counties in their group [four at home and four away] before the top three qualify for the knockout stages. Overseas players will not be permitted to take part in the county 50-over competition.

Notts have let Coughlin return to Durham. Not his fault, but his signing can only really be beaten by the lack of success from resigning Mark Footitt a couple of years back. Thought Coughlin might come good , and we are desperate for players next season. Malan has moved to Yorkshire, so there are players available out there. I guess a second division Notts team isn't that attractive though.

Rules from the ECB site

50-over competition
From 2020, the county 50-over competition will be played during the New Competition, in July and August.

The counties will be split into two groups of nine – not necessarily along existing North and South lines – and will play each of the other eight counties in their group [four at home and four away] before the top three qualify for the knockout stages.

Overseas players will not be permitted to take part in the county 50-over competition.

From the BBC site

Australia international wicketkeeper Ben McDermott has signed a white-ball contract with Derbyshire for 2020.
The 24-year-old, who has played nine T20 games for Australia, will be available for all of the Twenty20 Blast and One-Day Cup matches next season.

Now I'm confused. He is listed as an overseas player, not a Kolpak ??

First red ball game @ TB starts 12 April.
Durham away 19 April.
Durham @ TB doesn’t finish until 25 Sept.
50 over games ( effectively a second X1 ) to be played at same time as franchise comp.
You couldn’t make it up!

We are getting a second rate 50 over competition to get 4 Rockets fixtures. Two of these are on Sunday evenings (5 o'clock and 7), one at 5 on a Saturday and one at 7 on a Monday. I guess these are during the school holidays, but they don't sound very family friendly times to me.