Notts Cricket Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

The games are on Sky (subscription tv), with an hour of highlights per day on free-to-air tv. Sometimes pay to watch the Forest games, but generally try not to give even more money to Sky to pass on to overpaid sportsmen ! (and women).

I watched until lunch again yesterday and try as I did just couldn't keep my eyes open so missed Wade's century, Smith must be the best batsman in the world at the moment. What a pity Anderson is out of it.
I don't think the game is over yet although our bowlers will have the bit between their teeth, should have but not guaranteed and our pace attack doesn't always come off. Lyon should star today but he's expensive so who knows.
We're lucky here in that the Ashes are free to air but not the 50 over games,which are my favourite, and I refuse to pay to watch.
The game comes on at 8.00 PM here and just for once I'll be doing my best to stay awake.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Looking at the respective sides I wouldn’t be buying a ticket for the 5th day in any of the Ashes Tests this Summer. Both batting line ups are so fragile it wouldn’t surprise me if at least one game didn’t reach even the 4th day.

Changed your mind yet TPL?
This game has taken me completely by surprise and it's great to see a bit of proper competition for once.
This match isn't over yet.

60 for 2, Roy bowled Lyon who takes wickets but gives a few runs away. Takes them when it matters though. He's got brains.

Been good to watch this morning but only if you support Australia. I'm so used lately to seeing the Aussies mucking it up that I'd forgotten Lyon for example. This pitch suits him down to the ground and he knows it, great to watch him using his brains and getting success.
Stokes in now and to me he's the real danger man in the England side, I'll be trying to keep my eyes open now.

Changed your mind yet TPL?
This game has taken me completely by surprise and it's great to see a bit of proper competition for once.
This match isn't over yet.

Amazed ORF.
Didn’t bother tuning in today - the game was lost on Day 1.
Fought back on Day 2 - but days 3/4/5 totally outplayed.

Last edited:
Amazed ORF.
Didn’t bother tuning in today - the game was lost on Day 1.
Fought back on Day 2 - but days 3/4/5 totally outplayed.

Yes, fully understand,I'm so used this last year or two to the boot being on the other foot that it's taken me by surprise. And of course from my point of view it took a bit of understanding even though I knew that England are in the process of doing a bit of rebuilding. Then I started to give it a bit of thought and came to the conclusion that two things have favoured us. Smith was in such form that it would have taken more than England could produce to hold him in check, all of that booing was over his head even though it possibly worked with the other two. And the response from the rest of the team was great, I'm sure that the booing had a reverse effect and also some of our batsmen were trying hard to cement a place in the side.
But three points really,Smiths superb leadership and the fact that you were missing (in my opinion) your best fast bowler. Also aided by Lyons excellent reading of the pitch.
Four more to go, anybodies game.

:thumbup:

Lords, here we go again, home of cricket and I feel obliged to remind you that in the past when Oz have won the first game they have mostly lost the second. I've just checked your London weather and it sounds like a later start which gives me a problem as I'm a bit knackered so need an early night and have to be on the road early in the morning. It's not conducive to watching late night cricket.
Perhaps the weather may play a larger part in deciding the winner of this match.

Just watched my netball team lose, switched over to see the Wallabies losing to the All Blacks and playing badly, the Ashes due on here in 1 hour and now I'm beginning to sweat badly.

Wonder if I've picked the wrong day to watch sport ?

Play resuming in 20 minutes according to the commentators, wouldn't like to forecast the winner now, if there is one that is. Your new man is bowling at a terrific speed, still on the fence as regards his actual skills. And it looks as though Smith won't appear unless it's vital, i'd sooner lose him for this one and have him ready for the rest of the tour.
Not impressed with the bit of booing that he received on coming back after having been struck on the neck. Wouldn't have happened over here.
10 minutes to go and should be good.

Sorry ORF I cant agree - nobody wants to see anyone get hurt BUT:
He’s a cheat - end of!
And a cocky one at that.

Last edited:
Agree your views mostly TPL but do you think it's logical that he be booed for the rest of his playing life ? I don't.
He's made his error, got caught out out,expressed his regret,and payed a price.

Mind you I might have a bit of bias here in that I've never supported booing for anything. Might affect my thinking. And I've never thought much to head high bowling either no matter who's doing it. Your new bowler is probably the fastest I've ever seen and he might well end up doing some real damage with his head high stuff.

Was it Harold who started all this ?

We might have to disagree a bit on this one TPL, my thinking might be coloured by the fact that ball tampering in one way or another has been going on since Adam was a lad. Oddly enough we had rellies staying with us from the UK a few years ago now and number one on their list was to find Harold Larwood, and then talk with him and get his autograph on a cricket ball they had brought with them. He had lived here for several years at that time and on this occasion gave them quite a bit of his time. Should add that he was blind by then. They were very happy. Fair to say also that tampering with the ball would never have occurred to him.
One other thing that I only learned today was that watching on TV here yesterday your bowler had a smile on his face straight away when he'd felled Smith, which annoyed me at the time. Today it was revealed that he'd only smiled well after the event when it was learned that Smith wasn't seriously injured. TV can be quite misleading at times.
Meantime I'm looking forward to Thursday and the next game, can't see how Smith will be playing so I reckon the odds are in your favour now.