Notts Cricket Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

We are getting a second rate 50 over competition to get 4 Rockets fixtures. Two of these are on Sunday evenings (5 o'clock and 7), one at 5 on a Saturday and one at 7 on a Monday. I guess these are during the school holidays, but they don't sound very family friendly times to me.

Couldn’t give a fig LK - that’s one comp that won’t get my patronage.

Trego?
38 years old.
All rounder that played just 2 red ball games in 2019 - and hardly bowled in either red or white ball comps.
On a 2 year contract.
???

Trego?
38 years old.
All rounder that played just 2 red ball games in 2019 - and hardly bowled in either red or white ball comps.
On a 2 year contract.
???

Didn't do much in 2018, and old, but seems ok with the bat. Guess when it comes to the 50 over games we will be pretty desperate with 7 of our best players missing!

You blokes who are busy complaining about Notts should be over here watching Oz playing NZ in a 3 match 5 day series. Oz won the first game easily and at the moment lead NZ on the third day of the second game. After the second innings the Aussies lead by 467 and NZ have just started their second innings with Pattinson already taking 3 wickets. He's on fire. Probably the best fast bowling I've ever seen and this bloke has been plagued by injuries all of his cricketing life. By the look of things I reckon that Australia is well on the way to having a world class side again.
Not before time either.

And over here Colin Graves is awarded the CBE.
You couldn’t make it up.
He's reducing number of day’s playing red ball cricket, reducing the 50 over game to a second X1 comp & launching an abysmal 100 ball comp to be played at the same time.
What a farce!

Good job I don't live in Carlton again, that really sounds like a load of garbage. Sounds as though it's all about profits, and the timing's not good the way England are going at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/50958450

The ECB are supporting 4 day tests. Michael Vaughan has also written an article supporting them. Apparently only 33% of Test matches went to a fifth day in 2019, though over 50% have in the last 6 years. Vaughan's argument is that people don't know when Tests are starting, but four day matches could all be started on a Thursday. Seems to have forgotten that as far as I can remember, all 5 day tests started on a Thursday for years !

Is it just me - as a Notts fan - that gets irked when Eoin Morgan again refers to the Hales drug test in public? I may be unfairly critical - but believe that any discussion / reference to him ‘being brought back into the fold’ should be behind closed doors. Seems to me it’s all got a bit too personal?

I'm in trouble. I've just watched by accident the start of the World Championship T20 game in Melbourne between Oz and India, Oz batting and getting 170 something or thereabouts and have to admit it was great. And exciting.

MY wife was out so I won't cop it yet but It will happen, I just know it.

Really enjoyed watching the cricket yesterday. See ORF was watching it too, but just in case you can watch the whole game for free at live.trentbridge.co.uk .
If you look on the BBC to see when the wickets fall, you can even scroll back over the days play and watch the fall of the wickets and best bits. Great knock from Patel and Ball at the end, and good to see a great start for Hameed , and a decent innings from Evison too.

Last edited:
What a day for Nottm sport fans yesterday. Watched Derbyshire beat Notts with their largest run chase EVER against a county. Saw snippets of Ireland beating England. Then watched the playoff final which I'd paid 3 months of £25 to watch Forest play in !

Anyone else watching the live feed from Trent Bridge ? Good to see a decent start from Notts, though we know it will all go wrong in the second innings ! Nice to see a decent innings from Moores (overdue), Duckett was poor as usual, and just when Clarke looks like he could do something for a change he gets run out . Some decent spin bowling from us too, but our pace attack is poor. I assume Evison and Fletcher are out injured, and Trego , Barber and Chappell don't exactly inspire confidence. Hameed looks like a useful addition though.

Interesting to follow the "old" Notts players too. Libby is off to a flying start at Worcs , Milnes is doing well at Kent and Slater (on loan) got a century for Leics too. Usually look to see how Brett Hutton, Billy Root, Wessells, Luke Wood etc are going on. Not sure if Coughlan has played ? Have I missed anyone ? Think Anuj Dal might have been on our books too, but don't really count him as he only played for the second eleven.

Will keep an eye out for Nick Kimber that Surrey have pinched off us. Only a young lad, but interesting to see how he gets on.

Guess this year is a "make do" or development year, before we bring in a couple of decent overseas players.

I'm watching the game in patches and enjoying it, think you really need another Ausie though!

Not entirely sure of the rules, but I believe some of the Kolpak players will be deemed to be "overseas" players next season. Guess the Kolpak British passport holders won't . Counties can have TWO overseas players in the County Championship etc to allow for this. Guess Notts could sign two Aussies, as we don't have any Kolpaks now. Guess we won't see Dan Christian this year. (Even on a screen !).

Only just found this. One of the most interesting Notts reads I've ever seen. Didn't know anything about Clarke (we have a stand named after him), the massive part he and Notts played in starting professional cricket, and I've played on the Sir Julien Cahn ground without knowing anything about him. Will try to post the full article below.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket...mshire-beginning-have-one-wealthiest-cricket/

Trying to post it in blocks. A long read, but I've learnt more about Notts from it than I have in the last 60 odd years.

Last edited:
County File: Nottinghamshire, from the very beginning, have been one of the wealthiest cricket counties
ByScyld Berry, CHIEF CRICKET WRITER22 June 2020 • 10:00am

Supposing Robin Hood had been born and brought up in Leicester, and Friar Tuck had moved to Nottinghamshire from a monastery down south, and Maid Marian had come from Northampton, and Little John from Derbyshire, where he is reputedly buried in the village of Hathersage.
It adds spice to the stories about Robin Hood and his merry men if the Sheriff of Nottingham is an outsider, sent from London to enforce the wicked rule of King John. But it detracts if Hood himself and the majority of his merry men have grown up far from Sherwood Forest, and have only moved there in their prime for career development.

Every county in this age of social mobility is bound to have plenty of players imported from other first-class counties and minor counties, even Yorkshire who relied on their own home-born until the 1990s. But it surely has to be a matter of degree.
Nottinghamshire have won their share of trophies in this century: the county championship in 2005 and 2010, and three white-ball trophies, in the 20-over, 40-over and 50-over format. The topical question is whether they now find themselves in the second division of the county championship because they have imported too many players, and relied insufficiently on Robin Hood’s descendants.

One of the fascinations to be denied us this summer is whether Nottinghamshire would have been promoted straight back up with a batting line-up consisting entirely of signings from other first-class counties: Ben Slater from Derbyshire, Haseeb Hameed from Lancashire, Ben Duckett from Northamptonshire, the highly-promising Joe Clarke from Worcestershire, Chris Nash from Sussex and Steve Mullaney, the captain, from Lancashire. Lucky for the local lad Samit Patel that he can offer some left-arm spinners.
Nottinghamshire, from the very beginning, have been one of the wealthiest cricket counties, though some of the reasons are not obvious. There was no more money in lace than steel or cotton, as in the case of their northern rivals; and Nottinghamshire’s population is no larger than Derbyshire’s as the traditional borders go.
Since 1899, however, Trent Bridge has been staging Test matches on almost an annual basis, or else a couple of plum England white-ball fixtures which are guaranteed to bring packed houses of 15,000. Nottinghamshire’s white-ball team is vibrant, with Alex Hales to open, and any T20 game packs in 10,000 of an evening and a full house for a home quarter-final. No wonder members numbered more than 8000 before the virus.
So there is plenty of cash to splash on players: Nottinghamshire’s recent accounts stated they have over a million pounds in the bank, not tied up in assets but ready to hand. But is it possible that - not now but overall - they have had too much money? They have had a lot of downs as well as ups: they have been relegated from the first division five times in the 20 years of two divisions, which is almost as much yo-yoing as Worcestershire. When they have been good, they have been very, very good, but they have not won a championship match since June 2018: Northamptonshire will be close to losing their record of going four years without a win in the late 1930s if Nottinghamshire go next summer as well without a win and make a slow start to 2022.

Trent Bridge remains one of club's biggest draws
Trent Bridge itself is another reason, money aside, why ambitious cricketers head to Nottingham. Outside Lord’s at any rate, has there been a better Test ground in England? The walk from the city centre and railway station across the River Trent with its bracing breeze; the pavilion which was built for the 1899 Ashes Test and whose dressing-rooms still serve, one upstairs, one down; the proximity of useful shops outside the main gate and in the Radcliffe Road. This cricket ground looks the two neighbouring football grounds in the eye, not as an inferior, as cricket is elsewhere.
No county has played so few games away from its headquarters as Nottinghamshire, which in itself speaks volumes for the local estimation of Trent Bridge. Pitches through the ages have been conducive to batting, but usually have a decent carry for new-ball bowlers - which, in itself, is a worthy feat of groundsmanship for, in my observation, pitches located beside a river naturally tend to be slow (yes, I know the WACA in Perth lies beside the Swan but the soil is imported clay.)

Outside Lord’s, has there been a better Test ground in England than Trent Bridge? CREDIT: AFP
Trent Bridge was the creation of the man I have come to consider the most important person ever in English cricket - even more so than WG Grace, because Grace might never have devoted himself to cricket but for William Clarke. Cricket-writing about the past and present - both its history and journalism - is largely done in the south of England, whether its exponents have been born in the north or south, because of the gravitational pull of London, its newspapers and publishers. This imbalance has led, I believe, to a serious misreading of the past and Clarke’s legacies.
Clarke was a bricklayer, born in 1798, who married the landlady of the Trent Bridge Inn and, using his professional skills, made the surrounding field into the cricket ground we admire today. “He has displayed great judgment in laying out the Trent Bridge ground and the admirable condition in which it is kept rendered it a delightful place.” This was the Nottingham Review of August 1838, quoted by Peter Wynne-Thomas in his superbly researched book, Nottinghamshire Cricketers 1821-1914. (I have to admit that when this book was published in 1972, most teenaged boys were spending their pocket money on flared jeans and leather jackets or pop-concerts on remote islands like the Isle of Wight, but I never regretted this £5.25.)
Clarke’s legacy to this day has been maintained. He would be especially pleased that the new Radcliffe Road stand was built with 500,000 bricks. In fact, he would probably have landed the contract for laying them, or threatened to ban all Nottinghamshire CCC staff from the Trent Bridge Inn if he did not win the contract.
Much more to Clarke though than the creation of Trent Bridge. Secondly, he was a very artful bowler. “Instead of delivering the ball from the height of the hip, he at the last moment bent back his elbow, bringing the ball almost under his right arm-pit, and delivered the ball thus from as great a height as it was possible to attain and still be under-hand” wrote one contemporary. Although he lost one eye playing Fives in his twenties, Clarke was so artful - so quick to analyse a batsman and bowl to his weak points - that he would regularly take 300 wickets in a season, and once more than 400 wickets, for his All England Eleven.

William Clarke was instrumental in creating the All England Eleven
Yes, the All England Eleven. The first England cricket team was another of Clarke’s creations.
After getting Nottinghamshire cricket up and running at Trent Bridge, Clarke moved to London and joined the MCC groundstaff when he was approaching 50, being still the craftiest of bowlers (he was claimed to be the first who bowled to his field for catches rather than to knock stumps down). There he met the most notable cricketers of his day - and realised the sport’s enormous commercial potential, completely untapped, but ready to be exploited from 1846 owing to the new railways.
Thus Clarke formed the All England Eleven to tour the country, play cricket, and cash in. MCC was a gentleman’s club, like many others in London: it did not exist to popularise the game. This is what Clarke did, by writing round for matches, tapping areas outside London, arranging fixtures against XXII of Newcastle or XVIII of Sheffield, and - what is more - by making cricket equipment to sell while on the road, thus starting the Nottingham tradition of bat-making still maintained by Gunn and Moore.
“One never sees such holiday-making and high jinx as we used to see in the All-England days,” wrote one of Clarke’s players, Richard Daft, and note the social context: in 1850 a Factory Act granted workers Saturday afternoon off. Finally the Industrial Revolution allowed workers some leisure. “The match was the topic of conversation months before the event took place. Special committees were formed to get up entertainments in the evenings, and when the day arrived the excitement was often intense.”