Not Latics - Euros. | Page 10 | Vital Football

Not Latics - Euros.

Utterly dreadful the other night, following a plain poor win over Croatia where they shaped themselves for the first ten minutes and in very brief spells thereafter.
Despite getting to the Semi Finals in Russia you couldn’t say we took it by ‘the scruff of the neck’….we limped past Colombia on penalties and hailed that like we’d slapped the Italians or Germans out the competition.
Since we won the WC I can only think of Italia 90 and Euro 96 where we were (arguably) the best team but lucked out on being able to win ….the rest dull, disappointing and symptomatic of the whole consistently delivering less than the sum of its parts.
What had Southgate ever achieved as a coach or a manager to get that job ? …..safe pair of hands …..no skeletons in the cupboard ….seems like the sort of steady chap who will stay on message and not do or say anything untoward.
Up to now the team are mirroring his personality (though I’m not certain he actually has one?) ….come on Gareth and surprise us all for once from here on …..let’s actually try and force the issue for goodness sake.

(I have to say though in the manager’s very thin defence that Harry Kane looks out on his feet for whatever reason)

As Souness rightly said we are a bunch of good players but we are not a team!We play like a team who have never trained together,never watched each other and never talked to each other!Eleven individuals not a team!!

Think a lot of it comes down to having so many players from different teams. Italy always have Bonnuci and Chiellini for example who have played together for years at club and country so know each other inside out. Germany’s team is half of Bayern Munich’s side.

You’ve also got the constant tinkering with England. France have played the same formation and the same players bar one or two for virtually every game for years now. We on the other keep changing multiple personnel non stop. Obviously Southgate takes the blame for that but also the media and fans, who lose their shit and demand multiple changes after we fail to beat a side by more than three goals in a qualifying match.

I say this from a neutral (Welsh), stand point, but this is the systematic failure of English football. Having watched the Martinez documentary, it's clear that the whole of Belgium has bought into his long term project (I think they even mentioned 2026 as their target year). They expect some immediate, relative success, but they're happy to understand the peaks and troughs of football and that it all works towards a bigger picture. England are world beaters one minute and garbage the next - Kalvin Phillips being a prime example of hero to zero mentality. These young kids with the big and exciting future gave everyone hope in 2018. They've been given 3 years and 1 tournament before being written off. At least give them the benefit of the next world cup.

As far as the game goes, it was drab with limited quality shown. Scotland worked hard and actually played some decent stuff. England's love of holding midfielders and refusal to take risks didn't allow them to find that extra kick that they needed to put Scotland on the back foot

Every year with Southgate and his project is another wasted year...nearly every decision was a WTF moment. This should be his last tournament.
No thanks. Already wasted far too many hours watching dour England games in my life - and it sounds like it's not improved since.

I don't have an option of watching or not...players and managers come and go but it's the 3 lions for me. Its my DNA, who I am so I don't care if they are the best or worst it dont matter. Like I say its not an option and I wouldnt have it any other way.

As Souness rightly said we are a bunch of good players but we are not a team!We play like a team who have never trained together,never watched each other and never talked to each other!Eleven individuals not a team!!
We should start questioning if they are a bunch of good players now. There are none that are world class.

WALES are the first UK country to qualify for the knockout stages 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🤓. Come on lads. Will England or Scotland follow us

Wishful thinking for us but would be nice to buck our trend & get to the next round....congrats all the same to uz tho T57....

I don't have an option of watching or not...players and managers come and go but it's the 3 lions for me. Its my DNA, who I am so I don't care if they are the best or worst it dont matter. Like I say its not an option and I wouldnt have it any other way.

I used to feel like that years ago but dour performance after dour performance just killed it for me to the point I just lost all interest in international football. It's not even a case I'm too frustrated to watch I just got to the point of complete indifference. It's sad as I loved the passion and excitement of Euro 96 and World Cup 98 but we've seen very little of that since.

How's Kieffer Moore doing? Any chance he's doing well enough to earn a big Prem move so we can get some add on cash?

Imo he's doing well, still the target man with free kicks, corners etc & tends to win a good majority of them alongside his hold up play. I'd have thot there's prob a few lower end prem teams taking a look at him thinking they could prob get him for a decent price.....such a damm shame we only got peanuts for him in the 'no fire sale' by those leeching admin 😉🤔

Obviously dependant on the results over the next couple of days, but we could see the first "big fish" out of the competition on Wednesday. It's win or bust for Spain who look absolutely terrible, whilst Portugal are probably gone if they lose to France. As for Wales, they now have an easy route to the quarter-finals.