Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City

Ipswich didn't think much of Sunderland in their 1-1 at home.
Here's a nice little mention from TWTD:

"If Sunderland are a promotion rival... on 18:52 - Aug 10 by JackSted
By the looks of things I reckon Blackpool and Lincoln will be our promotion rivals

Oh God people are going to be going on and on about the bloody PE Teachers at Lincoln again all season arent they."

:grinning:

When was the last time we beat Rotherham at their place? Not in my lifetime I guess. I suspect it could be 1948 when we won the Div.3 North Championship.

Great win, loved it. A win based on resilience.

Whole back 5 were superb. Keep Vickers fit and he is a top keeper at this level. Bolger best game to date, looks like preseason done him good, my man of the match. Shacks might struggle to get back in!

Payne oozed class again, reminds me a lot of Joe Cole in his prime. Morrell is immense, could well be a better version of Woodyard, but not going to commit to saying that after just two games, I am a platinum member of the Woodyard fan club after all. O’Connor a stalwart again as against Accy. Harry worked himself into ground and took header superbly. Grant and Walker didn’t see much of the ball but kept running and made both goals happen.

Not to say we didn’t ride our luck at times. Stats will show they had lots of efforts, but many of these outside the box as they got frustrated trying to break our organised and determined defence down. That said they did have 3 good chances - all headers. One early on, their lad put it wide and should have done much better. That was during an early spell of domination from them, they came out fired up first 20, and certainly looked most threatening first half, but then we pull out one of our trademark routines and punish them. They then had a second good chance with a header early second half, again their lad should do better, Vickers made a fairly comfortable save. From then it felt like we largely controlled the second half. Great ball from Grant and header from Harry for 2nd. Third decent headed chance then comes for them late on and the superb Vickers makes a great save - his best of the match.

Atmosphere was interesting their end. Decent early on but once two down they stopped. Even when they had set pieces in decent positions. Was the atmosphere of a recently relegated team - two down, here we go, lost again. Imps fans I thought were superb.

Said last week will judge after 6 games so trying to not get too excited...! But noticed Scunny lost again, hope a few people remember not too judge us on preseason next year!

And lastly... Couldn’t help but think back today to when they stuffed us 6 0 at the Bank the season we were relegated to the National League. How far we have come. That side was the worst Lincoln one I’ve seen, with zero resilience. Today we have one of our best Lincoln sides with an incredible amount of resilience, here’s to that continuing for a good while yet.

Top report there,i agree with the joe cole/Payne link,wtf is he doing playing for us?
Only 2 points i feel worth mentioning, firstly Grant does not seemed suited to playing wide left and secondly Walker had the same problem as last week holding the ball up top against 2 tall defenders.
We got nothing going through the middle and reverted to goal kicks in to Harry down their left back slot as plan b.
It`s early days yet and the most incisive attacking blend will come over time and then our attacking midfield will really blow some defences apart.

Great team effort but got to say Payne is pure entertainment,and piles of effort.

Last edited:
First 40 minutes or so we weathered the storm (literally) although they didn't really test Josh I thought. Was just thinking that 0-0 would be a good half-time considering the elements when we popped up with the old play the free kick down the side routine (it's okay DC says we've got more than way of doing it if anyone is watching). Have to mention sublime bit of skill from Payne right in front of us (is on the Sky highlights) and yes he reminds me of Joe Cole. Haven't spotted on the replay yet but I would guess someone did some good blocking to all Harry to head home. Of all the players to score direct from a corner, he was a long way down the list of my possibilities. We were now the better team for a good period, they made 3 subs early 2nd half, and eventually started to apply a bit of pressure, leading up to what at the time I described as a Bankesque save. Think it was the way he pushed it upwards.
Defence all played excellently including Vickers, midfield worked hard, Payne is a joy to watch, front 3 worked hard without a deal of service to be fair.
Rother ham had some giants all over the pitch, and did a good impression of Mansfield kicking us around. Think No 7 was subbed before he got sent off.
What a time to be alive

Thankyou. I stand corrected -it was in my lifetime but only just !
Grainger and Troops got the goals, we did the double over them that season, beat them 2 0 late on in the season, during the incredible run that kept us up.

Keith Fordyce and I'll up you a Bram Tchaikovsky AKA Peter Bramall.

I'm going for 60s one-hit wonders The Casuals.

However it brought home something I thought at the time. When I was laughing at the thought that was all Rotherham had got, it struck me that Lincoln does not have much of a roll of honour. So kudos Rotherham.

Unfortunately I think Morrell will be in the robins first team next year
I think we may be playing Morrell very differently to how he has been played before. We encourage to be much more the battling midfielder whereas before I think he's been played as a playmaker. May be mistaken though, only going off reports.

Top report there,i agree with the joe cole/Payne link,wtf is he doing playing for us?
Only 2 points i feel worth mentioning, firstly Grant does not seemed suited to playing wide left and secondly Walker had the same problem as last week holding the ball up top against 2 tall defenders.
We got nothing going through the middle and reverted to goal kicks in to Harry down their left back slot as plan b.
It`s early days yet and the most incisive attacking blend will come over time and then our attacking midfield will really blow some defences apart.

Great team effort but got to say Payne is pure entertainment,and piles of effort.
I thought Grant was a CAM? Surprised to see him playing on the left as I expected Andrade to be there. Not surprised to see Payne starting and excelling though.

Great win, loved it. A win based on resilience.

Whole back 5 were superb. Keep Vickers fit and he is a top keeper at this level. Bolger best game to date, looks like preseason done him good, my man of the match. Shacks might struggle to get back in!

Payne oozed class again, reminds me a lot of Joe Cole in his prime. Morrell is immense, could well be a better version of Woodyard, but not going to commit to saying that after just two games, I am a platinum member of the Woodyard fan club after all. O’Connor a stalwart again as against Accy. Harry worked himself into ground and took header superbly. Grant and Walker didn’t see much of the ball but kept running and made both goals happen.

Not to say we didn’t ride our luck at times. Stats will show they had lots of efforts, but many of these outside the box as they got frustrated trying to break our organised and determined defence down. That said they did have 3 good chances - all headers. One early on, their lad put it wide and should have done much better. That was during an early spell of domination from them, they came out fired up first 20, and certainly looked most threatening first half, but then we pull out one of our trademark routines and punish them. They then had a second good chance with a header early second half, again their lad should do better, Vickers made a fairly comfortable save. From then it felt like we largely controlled the second half. Great ball from Grant and header from Harry for 2nd. Third decent headed chance then comes for them late on and the superb Vickers makes a great save - his best of the match.

Atmosphere was interesting their end. Decent early on but once two down they stopped. Even when they had set pieces in decent positions. Was the atmosphere of a recently relegated team - two down, here we go, lost again. Imps fans I thought were superb.

Said last week will judge after 6 games so trying to not get too excited...! But noticed Scunny lost again, hope a few people remember not too judge us on preseason next year!

And lastly... Couldn’t help but think back today to when they stuffed us 6 0 at the Bank the season we were relegated to the National League. How far we have come. That side was the worst Lincoln one I’ve seen, with zero resilience. Today we have one of our best Lincoln sides with an incredible amount of resilience, here’s to that continuing for a good while yet.
It'll be interesting to compare Woodyard and Morrell's recoveries at the end of the season. A job for @Dreaming of McAuley!

Couple of points from previous comments:-

Harry A goal & blocking - theres a pic on the web site, usual suspect, dont know what Bozzie and his marker are doing but it looks potentially x-rated

Vicker's save - or Gilks at MKD? Which the best? (Does context matter? Gilks saved 2 points, Vickers prevented a squeaky last few minutes)