Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City

2320 -incredible! And what a pleasure to be in that number! Fantastic support today. I'm sure our sore throats helped keep that clean sheet, so get yourselves a babycham... You deserve it!

I can see why John shuttleworth doesn’t go there as there are some real sour grapes on the Rotherham forum

We are a poor side

If we win every week I don’t mind being a poor side

Best one ive seen quote

"

gm_gm
said:Today 04:11 PM
That was bad, really bad. We lost to a Poor side whose main attribute was they gelled as a team we didn't."​

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how to beat a strong, expensive squad of pretty much championship players.

It was certainly no flair game. We were never going to outplay them. It is the polar opposite to last week where we were clearly the more skilful side and could play nice, attacking passages. It reminded me of times in our first season back in the league, where we were clearly weaker in some areas against some teams but still managed to effectively counter the threat. There’ll be plenty more games like this when we come up against the top opposition. We won’t always come out on top, but it won’t be for the lack of trying.

If we’d had an off day, we could have been three down in the first twenty minutes, but we managed to weather the storm and clawed back control. Once we got hold of them, we didn’t let them go.

If the team could speak it would have said “Whoah there! Where do you think you’re going? Do you know who we are? We’re Lincoln City. Behave yourselves. You’ll sing our song now.”

Then boom! Half asleep and done like kippers. Surely we can’t get many more out of those crafty slip-it-down-the-side free kicks, can we?

They were flustered. They didn’t know what to do. They certainly weren’t prepared for it and I suspect many of their players have probably never encountered such tactics.

That’s not to assume we were direct. There was none of that. We were organised and strong and still looked to pass it out of danger and move forward. They had no way through and were frustrated.

The set pieces become so important in matches where you don’t get many goal scoring opportunities. How Harry found himself in that space, I’ll never know. 2-0. Another goal from a corner, Notty will be pleased!

So, of course, we sit back, take our time, reorganise, and do not budge. Well, maybe a slight shuffle, but Vickers was there to tidy up.

That was as good a team performance as any under the Cowleys. Plan B was plan A today and both have worked so far.

If league one is anything like last year, there’ll be a couple of leagues within a league. The top sides who are in between championship quality, and the also rans. If we can pick up the odd result against the top sides, like today, and do well against the rest, we’ll have had a very good season.

Superb result against a team who are likely to be top,6 and who have just come down from the Championship.

And two clean sheets to start the season even with Shackell missing bring on Sargent.

Best one ive seen quote

"

gm_gm
said:Today 04:11 PM
That was bad, really bad. We lost to a Poor side whose main attribute was they gelled as a team we didn't."​
If we were 'poor', then I should think Boltons junior 1st eleven will take them to the cleaners!!!!
What do you expect from bloody yorkie, miserable and not happy when not having a moan!

Great performance all around, and that Vickers save, Bolger and Bostwick along with the rest did themselves proud.

Back at home and will catch up on this thread in a little while, but what a great team performance that was. Will give a few more views later but can I just pay some respects to two players who may fly under the radar today.
Morrell in midfield is a fantastic battling midfielder who won the ball for us today on countless occasions. I hope we have an option to buy on him.
Bolger at the back was immense and my man of the match. Nothing got past him all game. His best performance in a City shirt?
Two exceptional performances in a team performance full of them

Cup of tea time now

Back at home and will catch up on this thread in a little while, but what a great team performance that was. Will give a few more views later but can I just pay some respects to two players who may fly under the radar today.
Morrell in midfield is a fantastic battling midfielder who won the ball for us today on countless occasions. I hope we have an option to buy on him.
Bolger at the back was immense and my man of the match. Nothing got past him all game. His best performance in a City shirt?
Two exceptional performances in a team performance full of them

Cup of tea time now

Unfortunately I think Morrell will be in the robins first team next year

Great win, loved it. A win based on resilience.

Whole back 5 were superb. Keep Vickers fit and he is a top keeper at this level. Bolger best game to date, looks like preseason done him good, my man of the match. Shacks might struggle to get back in!

Payne oozed class again, reminds me a lot of Joe Cole in his prime. Morrell is immense, could well be a better version of Woodyard, but not going to commit to saying that after just two games, I am a platinum member of the Woodyard fan club after all. O’Connor a stalwart again as against Accy. Harry worked himself into ground and took header superbly. Grant and Walker didn’t see much of the ball but kept running and made both goals happen.

Not to say we didn’t ride our luck at times. Stats will show they had lots of efforts, but many of these outside the box as they got frustrated trying to break our organised and determined defence down. That said they did have 3 good chances - all headers. One early on, their lad put it wide and should have done much better. That was during an early spell of domination from them, they came out fired up first 20, and certainly looked most threatening first half, but then we pull out one of our trademark routines and punish them. They then had a second good chance with a header early second half, again their lad should do better, Vickers made a fairly comfortable save. From then it felt like we largely controlled the second half. Great ball from Grant and header from Harry for 2nd. Third decent headed chance then comes for them late on and the superb Vickers makes a great save - his best of the match.

Atmosphere was interesting their end. Decent early on but once two down they stopped. Even when they had set pieces in decent positions. Was the atmosphere of a recently relegated team - two down, here we go, lost again. Imps fans I thought were superb.

Said last week will judge after 6 games so trying to not get too excited...! But noticed Scunny lost again, hope a few people remember not too judge us on preseason next year!

And lastly... Couldn’t help but think back today to when they stuffed us 6 0 at the Bank the season we were relegated to the National League. How far we have come. That side was the worst Lincoln one I’ve seen, with zero resilience. Today we have one of our best Lincoln sides with an incredible amount of resilience, here’s to that continuing for a good while yet.

Mine aren't! Get in!:wahey:

Hello Casper I'm glad you enjoyed your day.

I thought we looked a poor side.

Sorry, what am I saying? Apologies I've just been looking at the Rovrum forum and had my views influenced. Actually it was obviously a highly impressive win against a side who were restricted to very few chances once the wind had been come to terms with. Football fan rule number 3 states that when your own side doesn't (isn't allowed to) play well, the other side are to be considered equally naff.

A game of few chances (3 on target each - though that can't include our opening goal) but that's football isn't it. At 1-0 they miss with a free header. Less than five minutes later we score with one.

Most amusing thing of the day - the billboard which lists Rotherham's most famous sons: Howard Webb. William Hague, David Seaman, The Chuckle Brothers.

Would anyone care to start off a list of famous Lincolnians through the ages in response?

Thought they looked quick to the ball and strong but they didn’t pull us apart with quick passing football which I thought they might
too many punts over the top which were easy pickings for our 2 cb`s
Not impressed with Rotherham,half a dozen new skins in their side and their defence spunked it all away on 2 of our BASIC set plays where they gave it the large zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
(basic defending very shoddy)

Superb result against a team who are likely to be top,6 and who have just come down from the Championship.

And two clean sheets to start the season even with Shackell missing bring on Sargent.
IF ROTHERHAM END UP IN THE TOP 6 then i will eat my hat...............made of onion bhajis.
If i was their manager i would have them in for Sunday morning training.(defensive set up)
Warne`s comment after their win at Wimbledon"at times we were unplayable"
doesn`t say a lot for Wimbledon?