Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City | Page 26 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City

I thought Grant was a CAM? Surprised to see him playing on the left as I expected Andrade to be there. Not surprised to see Payne starting and excelling though.

He played wide left for Notts County and at Mansfield. He isn’t tough or strong enough to play the position that Payne plays. Payne is like a pocket battleship, has balance, strength and silky smooth skills on the ball. He also works his nuts off for the team, chasing back and snapping at ankles.
Grant has the skill and technique but he is a luxury player, I don’t think we could play Grant and Bruno together especially not in a game like today

I only have the iFollow commentary and Danny's after match interview to go on, but from those - we weathered a storm, conceded 60% possession in the first half and generally defended for a point in the standard DC way. Then we got a half-chance and worked the free-kick to take the lead.

What is interesting at this point is Danny's comment that, (and I paraphrase), "yes we have had success with this 'type' of free-kick, but we have a number of variations" and that is what teams can't deal with. This week's variation (from what I can see from the Sky highlights) is that 3 players argue about who should take it and where people should stand, and while the defence are concentrating on the amateur dramatics, rather than Eardley, he passes the ball down the channel - and we all know where that ended up.

From there we held on to half-time and then (I'm ignoring the Rovur 'um chance early in the second half) came the corner. Danny's comments were that Harry is very quick and given a standing start he can easily out run his marker. So if he starts outside the box (with a marker) and times his run with the corner taker, he will loose his marker and arrive at the designated point (where ever the rest of the team have left empty) before his marker and therefore have a good chance of having a free header.

From 2-0 Roverum are chasing the game and Lincoln can play a little football, keep a little possession and compete on a much more equal footing.

Did we have the better players? Maybe not. Did we have the strongest attack? Maybe not. Did we have the greater will to fight for each other? Yes. Did we have the better strategy? Probably.

I think we will have different strategies for different games and that we will win some ugly and some pretty and I don't give toss which works in which circumstance, as long as we keep grinding out the results.

Last edited:
Couple of points from previous comments:-

Harry A goal & blocking - theres a pic on the web site, usual suspect, dont know what Bozzie and his marker are doing but it looks potentially x-rated

Vicker's save - or Gilks at MKD? Which the best? (Does context matter? Gilks saved 2 points, Vickers prevented a squeaky last few minutes)

Vickers' was very, very good, but Gilks' was better.

Whether in fact, or not, it doesn't matter; in context certainly.

first twenty minutes reminded me of that first away game in L2 at wycombe. slight sense of stepping into the unknown by the team. trepidation. as then, we were getting beaten in the 50/50 challenges and rotherham were half a yard quicker everywhere. and just like that wycombe game, after 20 we acclimatised, and by the end of the ninety we were fully on top, plus this time cruising to the win.

you have to hand it to those 'bloody PE teachers' lol
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Likewise ifollow commentary and having seen the brief highlights, spot in re Harry's goal - he arrives like an express train, great delivery by Grant, beautifully executed move, Nicky will still be drooling.

No doubt the better strategy too, though that is allied to the work ethic - we worked hard with very little ball while under the cosh, no doubt the team had been briefed to expect an early barrage and performed brilliantly in resisting it.

Last season after 2 games Barnsley led from Pish on goals scored, a certain Mark O'Hara was leading scorer in L1, so let's not get carried away.

Ps re Cherryexile same starting 11 for 2 quite different games with the same outcome, that's promising. Morrell and Payne in particular are class, we knew Grant and Walker have the talent and they've shown they can provide the work rate required.

Great win, loved it. A win based on resilience.

Whole back 5 were superb. Keep Vickers fit and he is a top keeper at this level. Bolger best game to date, looks like preseason done him good, my man of the match. Shacks might struggle to get back in!

Payne oozed class again, reminds me a lot of Joe Cole in his prime. Morrell is immense, could well be a better version of Woodyard, but not going to commit to saying that after just two games, I am a platinum member of the Woodyard fan club after all. O’Connor a stalwart again as against Accy. Harry worked himself into ground and took header superbly. Grant and Walker didn’t see much of the ball but kept running and made both goals happen.

Not to say we didn’t ride our luck at times. Stats will show they had lots of efforts, but many of these outside the box as they got frustrated trying to break our organised and determined defence down. That said they did have 3 good chances - all headers. One early on, their lad put it wide and should have done much better. That was during an early spell of domination from them, they came out fired up first 20, and certainly looked most threatening first half, but then we pull out one of our trademark routines and punish them. They then had a second good chance with a header early second half, again their lad should do better, Vickers made a fairly comfortable save. From then it felt like we largely controlled the second half. Great ball from Grant and header from Harry for 2nd. Third decent headed chance then comes for them late on and the superb Vickers makes a great save - his best of the match.

Atmosphere was interesting their end. Decent early on but once two down they stopped. Even when they had set pieces in decent positions. Was the atmosphere of a recently relegated team - two down, here we go, lost again. Imps fans I thought were superb.

Said last week will judge after 6 games so trying to not get too excited...! But noticed Scunny lost again, hope a few people remember not too judge us on preseason next year!

And lastly... Couldn’t help but think back today to when they stuffed us 6 0 at the Bank the season we were relegated to the National League. How far we have come. That side was the worst Lincoln one I’ve seen, with zero resilience. Today we have one of our best Lincoln sides with an incredible amount of resilience, here’s to that continuing for a good while yet.

Pretty sure Payne managed to touch every blade of grass today
Moment of the game for him was stud rolling the ball past a Rotherham midfielder after already beating a couple of players !!
Hopefully Danny wraps him in cotton wool and puts him on the mantle piece till next Saturday

Last edited:
One sour point from today was the amount of sexism against the female official. It’s depressing to hear and just so backwards.

I have run the line many, many, times in junior football and my 14 year old son has taken his Referee's course and officiates in games where the players are younger than him.

All I can say from experiencing both situations, is that,

1) if you haven't been in the position to have to make decisions in a split second, fairly, and;
2) haven't been subject to the abuse of partisan supporters, managers and players, for making honest calls,

then you probably have no understanding of how hard the job is and how often the decision made by the officials is far better than the opinions of the average crowd at a game, who are not in the optimum location to make the call.

If I watch a game, I tend to follow the ball, as most supporters do. If I run the line, I am watching the last defender, in the context of when the ball is kicked. The two are very different; believe me. I thought running the line would be easy until I started to do it. I realised very quickly that if I wanted to do it properly, I had to concentrate on the job, not the game. As a result I have an enhanced respect for the position of the officials and

All of us should have a lot more respect for officials than we do (especially in the heat of a game), regardless of age, gender or reputation. Without them we would have no games.

For anyone that wants to shout abuse at an official, let alone a female official, just think about whether you would be happy to witness your mother, wife, girlfriend, or daughter standing in front of 2,000 individuals shouting obscenities at them from 30 yards away; all for just trying to do their job to the best of their ability? Then think about whether you want to be that knob that joins in to the chanting. Your choice. It isn't mine.

Think both our goals were bozzy blocks? Basically out thought our opponents twice from set pieces and won the day. Fantastic stuff

I have always said you can only be in one place at any one time, so the likelihood of being in the best position to make the correct call is low. Most of the decisions are also judgement calls which can be completely different from person to person.
It's an incredibly difficult task. If you are also completely biased and probably have never read the laws of the game it makes it even more difficult ...

at least the referees have the advantage that they have read the laws and are impartial.

Hello Casper I'm glad you enjoyed your day.

I thought we looked a poor side.

Sorry, what am I saying? Apologies I've just been looking at the Rovrum forum and had my views influenced. Actually it was obviously a highly impressive win against a side who were restricted to very few chances once the wind had been come to terms with. Football fan rule number 3 states that when your own side doesn't (isn't allowed to) play well, the other side are to be considered equally naff.

A game of few chances (3 on target each - though that can't include our opening goal) but that's football isn't it. At 1-0 they miss with a free header. Less than five minutes later we score with one.

Most amusing thing of the day - the billboard which lists Rotherham's most famous sons: Howard Webb. William Hague, David Seaman, The Chuckle Brothers.

Would anyone care to start off a list of famous Lincolnians through the ages in response?

I hope you enjoyed yours as well? It was nice to have a chat today.

I agree that we didn't look at our best but I think this is a good sign that we are able to still grind out a result and win even though we know we can play better. A classic smash and grab away win so to speak. Clearly the season is going to be long and hard but we are certainly showing that we are going to be no mugs this season.

I look forward to seeing you at another match in the future.

Think both our goals were bozzy blocks? Basically out thought our opponents twice from set pieces and won the day. Fantastic stuff

Another reason he is probably the best signing the club has made in many years - he has so many great qualities, not all of them obvious. What is it DC says - 'if I had eleven Bossies we'd win every game' or something similar. ??

OK, got home 3 hours ago but not had a chance to look at anything on here until now. Before I do, these are a few thoughts from me.

Rotherham frightened me to death for the first 40 minutes and I doubted whether we could live with that sort of quality. We were perhaps lucky that a couple of their shots at goal from the edge of the area were just off target but there was also some good defending. Then, talk about against the run of play! - I think it was only the third time we'd got into their penalty area and we scored!

The second goal early in the second half then seemed to knock the stuffing out of Rotherham and we looked in control for the rest of the match as they began to make errors.

Yeah, Toffolo & Morrell - booking each in both the opening games. Have to keep an eye on that DC - don't want to lose both for a game at the same time.