Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City

I only have the iFollow commentary and Danny's after match interview to go on, but from those - we weathered a storm, conceded 60% possession in the first half and generally defended for a point in the standard DC way. Then we got a half-chance and worked the free-kick to take the lead.

What is interesting at this point is Danny's comment that, (and I paraphrase), "yes we have had success with this 'type' of free-kick, but we have a number of variations" and that is what teams can't deal with. This week's variation (from what I can see from the Sky highlights) is that 3 players argue about who should take it and where people should stand, and while the defence are concentrating on the amateur dramatics, rather than Eardley, he passes the ball down the channel - and we all know where that ended up.

From there we held on to half-time and then (I'm ignoring the Rovur 'um chance early in the second half) came the corner. Danny's comments were that Harry is very quick and given a standing start he can easily out run his marker. So if he starts outside the box (with a marker) and times his run with the corner taker, he will loose his marker and arrive at the designated point (where ever the rest of the team have left empty) before his marker and therefore have a good chance of having a free header.

From 2-0 Roverum are chasing the game and Lincoln can play a little football, keep a little possession and compete on a much more equal footing.

Did we have the better players? Maybe not. Did we have the strongest attack? Maybe not. Did we have the greater will to fight for each other? Yes. Did we have the better strategy? Probably.

I think we will have different strategies for different games and that we will win some ugly and some pretty and I don't give toss which works in which circumstance, as long as we keep grinding out the results.

Well, if opposition managers didn't know our tactics for certain, they do now. Any more juicy tit -bits for the Southend manager?

Had the "pleasure" of sitting with Rotherham fans, was level with Harry's header, a beauty, my mate's comment (Rotherham fan) "nice blocking"! They could not believe how they were not 2 up at half-time and as the second half wore on there was definitely no conviction they were going to get back into it. They couldn't understand why they weren't playing the ball out wide more and weren't happy with the formation. The two of their players who were subbed first were getting moaned at a fair bit. Generally I think they just saw this as a wind-affected blip and think they will be top 6 this season.
First time I've been to New York, was quite impressed.

I have run the line many, many, times in junior football and my 14 year old son has taken his Referee's course and officiates in games where the players are younger than him.

All I can say from experiencing both situations, is that,

1) if you haven't been in the position to have to make decisions in a split second, fairly, and;
2) haven't been subject to the abuse of partisan supporters, managers and players, for making honest calls,

then you probably have no understanding of how hard the job is and how often the decision made by the officials is far better than the opinions of the average crowd at a game, who are not in the optimum location to make the call.

If I watch a game, I tend to follow the ball, as most supporters do. If I run the line, I am watching the last defender, in the context of when the ball is kicked. The two are very different; believe me. I thought running the line would be easy until I started to do it. I realised very quickly that if I wanted to do it properly, I had to concentrate on the job, not the game. As a result I have an enhanced respect for the position of the officials and

All of us should have a lot more respect for officials than we do (especially in the heat of a game), regardless of age, gender or reputation. Without them we would have no games.

For anyone that wants to shout abuse at an official, let alone a female official, just think about whether you would be happy to witness your mother, wife, girlfriend, or daughter standing in front of 2,000 individuals shouting obscenities at them from 30 yards away; all for just trying to do their job to the best of their ability? Then think about whether you want to be that knob that joins in to the chanting. Your choice. It isn't mine.

I always found running the line more difficult than reffing.

You beat the hell out of me, with that answer ?

Keith Fordyce was co-host of Ready Steady Go, alongside Kathy McGowan, it was arguably one most culturally influential Tv programmes of the 1960s.

Bram Tchaikovsky made two of the finest examples of the art of power pop in the albums "Strange Man Change Man" and "The Russians are Coming". Both come highly recomended, less so the 3rd LP "Funland".

Still don't get the sniffy attitude towards the Cowleys, so what if they're former teachers? They clearly know what they're doing and do they have any less right to be in football management than Lampard and Gerrard who played 100+ times for England.
I think being former pe teachers is their great advantage as they understand all sports and took the best bits from other sports to help gain us those small margins.

Not to mine Notty, I have no idea who they are.

At least the general public would have a fair chance of naming the Chuckle Brothers if presented with a picture of them.

Seriously? Boole invented Boolean logic that underpins the theory used to develop the very device you are typing on.

Banks was the founder president of the Royal Academy and served for decades in that role. Out of interest, he presided over the decision to establish convict colonies in Australia after Viriginia (the original destination) was lost after the American Revolution.

Another thing as well is, even if it's early doors, that's two 2-0 wins playing in chalk and cheese ways.

I wasn't there yesterday but I suspect the type of game yesterday was completely different from how we played vs Accrington i.e. front foot, attacking, crisp passing football.

Still don't get the sniffy attitude towards the Cowleys, so what if they're former teachers? They clearly know what they're doing and do they have any less right to be in football management than Lampard and Gerrard who played 100+ times for England.
I think being former pe teachers is their great advantage as they understand all sports and took the best bits from other sports to help gain us those small margins.

One of both Danny’s and Nicky's greatest strengths is that they genuinely care about the people they meet and work with
A trait not always seen in the cut throat management of professional football
Sometimes it’s the simplest of things that gets the best out of people
I’d imagine a good proportion of teachers and medical professionals have that in them

Denis Follows moved to Lincoln aged 11 and attended the City School. He was later secretary of the FA and was responsible for organising the 1966 World Cup. He was later Chairman of the British Olympic Association.

Actor John Hurt was a boarder at the Lincoln School (his father was a vicar in Grimsby at the time).

Regardless of their abilitiies as football managers it's their communication skills that continue to impress me. Such a breath of fresh air after the monosyllabic, cliche-ridden lines that dribble out of many 'old school' managers. This doubtless stems from their upbringing and their education background. I like to believe it also makes their communication with players and the Board a lot more effective.

One of both Danny’s and Nicky's greatest strengths is that they genuinely care about the people they meet and work with
A trait not always seen in the cut throat management of professional football
Sometimes it’s the simplest of things that gets the best out of people
I’d imagine a good proportion of teachers and medical professionals have that in them
I was going to post something similar when I read yours NGD.
You only have to see how Danny handles the press.
He seems at home speaking to press,fans and players alike. Being a teacher will definately help his communication skills, that coupled with his knowledge and thirst for learning is a sure fire winner.
I'm not in any way biased, just because my Son is a teacher.:LOL:

Seriously? Boole invented Boolean logic that underpins the theory used to develop the very device you are typing on.

Banks was the founder president of the Royal Academy and served for decades in that role. Out of interest, he presided over the decision to establish convict colonies in Australia after Viriginia (the original destination) was lost after the American Revolution.

And he was Captain Cook's botanist on his Australia trips. He had his country house at Revesby Abbey (my family comes from that area and it is believed we had a couple of family members in service there).