Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Rotherham United v Lincoln City

A great and unexpected (for me) win today. So glad we have got rid of that Rotherham hoodoo, wasn’t it 8 losses on the trot? Six points out of six without arguably our best defender too.

Cracking result, that. Carlisle away followed by Port Vale away from the set piece book!

Regardless of the squad depth at the minute, it's worth remembering that as it stands, we've still got a strong first 18 when all available (which unfortunately they aren't at the minute). Most of those still here won L2 with relative ease last season so all thought a bit of negativity lingers in that respect, we're still well placed. Tweaking rather than overhaul and thankfully, we're looking for squad fillers rather than first teamers. That'd be a worse scenario.

Cracking result, that. Carlisle away followed by Port Vale away from the set piece book!

Regardless of the squad depth at the minute, it's worth remembering that as it stands, we've still got a strong first 18 when all available (which unfortunately they aren't at the minute). Most of those still here won L2 with relative ease last season so all thought a bit of negativity lingers in that respect, we're still well placed. Tweaking rather than overhaul and thankfully, we're looking for squad fillers rather than first teamers. That'd be a worse scenario.

Which was definitely Danny's method last season with his set of January loanees.
All to make sure cover was there in case of injury as insurance to make sure title was safely bagged.
Expect similar this season
(January loanees that is, although another title would be quite nice too ??????)

Looking at points we got to 80 points after drawing with Macclesfield, 7 games left? Won the league at a canter didn’t we?

To use a well a well trodden football cliche: 'I just got back.' Where has all the heroic failure that I'm used to gone?

For the first 40 minutes of the game today, I was spun back 20 years when the Imps were last in the the 3rd tier and most away matches were a case of how many. Incredibly 'Roveram' inexplicably switch off and in an instant just before half time the game was turned on its head.

The second half was totally different, whilst the Imps were far from dominate, they did however exuded consummate control and when 'Arry headed for the second the result was never in doubt. Was Vickers' save at the death as good as Bank's in '70, no but it was good. The Imps away following was fantastic throughout.

This really is nosebleed stuff, isn't it?

Roll on Tuesday and more of the same in the land of the green and the grey will do nicely.

Last edited:
I can see why John shuttleworth doesn’t go there as there are some real sour grapes on the Rotherham forum

We are a poor side

If we win every week I don’t mind being a poor side
We do seem to have lost the long ball tag. Marginal gains!

Brilliant day and a brilliant result. At first it seemed like this was the step up we'd all been expecting - the signs were ominous in the first 20 minutes as they asserted themselves physically. However, I think there came a moment about 30 minutes in when the players realised that underneath the surface, there was nothing to be scared of. Two quick goals either side of half time and the game was done and dusted. We hustled and bustled and Rotherham didn't have a sniff until Vickers' top class save late on. Everyone played well but Anderson and the defence deserve particular mention.

There will be tougher tests to come, but this is a real statement of intent.

I can see why John shuttleworth doesn’t go there as there are some real sour grapes on the Rotherham forum

We are a poor side

If we win every week I don’t mind being a poor side

Thought they looked quick to the ball and strong but they didn’t pull us apart with quick passing football which I thought they might

Yes i noticed that
Gave a wave from the side of the pitch and walked off
Saw that too. Was stopped going down the tunnel by a back room staff and almost had to be persuaded to go back. Came back on the pitch by the dug outs, a couple of claps and straight back off.
No idea what’s going on but somethings not right.