Match Thread: Rochdale v Lincoln City | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Rochdale v Lincoln City

Why not? Cheaper than £10m on someone from a lower- to mid-table team in Ligue 1.

Premier League clubs don’t shop in League 1, as buying unheard of foreigners from obscure leagues is seemingly the vogue nowadays although Brexit I guess may change this. Outside of the Premier League the rest of football will be skint and transfer fees paid will surely reflect this. I’d love someone to give us many millions for him, I just can’t see it.

Premier League clubs don’t shop in League 1, as buying unheard of foreigners from obscure leagues is seemingly the vogue nowadays although Brexit I guess may change this. Outside of the Premier League the rest of football will be skint and transfer fees paid will surely reflect this. I’d love someone to give us many millions for him, I just can’t see it.

Not sure that's true. They do buy from the Championship, anyway...

What is remarkable about this is the number of different combinations we have had playing in front of him in such a few short games, yet what little difference it has had to the results.

Right back - TJ, Harry, Gotts
Right centre - Montsma, TJ, Jackson,
Left centre - Jackson, Walsh, Roughan, Cann
Left back - Roughan, Edun, Melbourne

That is not to mention that Bridcutt, Edun, Grant and Gotts have all played in the defensive midfield role in front of the back four.

I may have missed some, but the point is how fluid our personnel have been and how little difference it has made to the style of play and the results.

If anything this has been the most impressive thing for me. The method is all-consuming and the players know how to fit in, what the role is and the ship has gone sailing on regardless.
I was thinking the same today, but more about Bridcutt not being the squad and wondering whether we miss him as much as we did at the beginning of the season.

That isn't suggesting Bridcutt doesn't have a big impact because he does, but it feels like Grant has maybe learnt that role a bit more now albeit against the sort of sides you'd be happy for him to play in there against rather than a Northampton, Gillingham type side.

Such a long way to go but everything, so far, is shaping up to beat the 1981/82 4th place finish (our highest finish in third tier of English football since the removal of regional division 3 leagues in 1952).

Is this the best Imps team I've seen? 1981/82 was my first proper season watching the Imps. I was 14. Maybe not just yet are they the best.

This is early days - remember this squad have only been together for around 20 or so games. I am not sure yet it can compare, after 15 league games, to Murph's mob of 81 (Cockerill, Cunningham, Felgate, Neale, Peake, Shipley, Hobson, Thompson etc) but we have more potential than any Lincoln team I have seen since then. The age of the team plays in our favour and that is the difference between now and 2 years ago.

The only negative in the entire season is the fact we can't be there to watch it- Karl Robinson was unequivocal in the difference 2,000 Oxford fans made in their game today against Hull but also how different the game is to watch on TV compared to being there. In what maybe our best season in over 40 years......we aren't yet able to be there to see it.

Ipswich feels like a better fit and the Cowleys would be received more positively there rhan at Sunlun, I think. A number of them have been wanting the Cowleys since they were at Braintree.
That's interesting. Ipswich fans have observed him at close quarters - both at Braintree and because of what his Lincoln side did to them - and so they have a more informed view of him. Sunderland fans appear to have swallowed what they have read online about him being a crude long-ball merchant with no finesse and a fat bloke up front. A catastrophically bad appointment by Sunderland, again.

Yes, they've appointed the David Brent of football management. This is from his time at Barnsley.

ScreenShot_20161030144150.png.8a171385cc0ba500c498d06590cd71e2.png

I see what you did there:-
'unheard of foreigners from obscure leagues'

Interesting as the same Bristol City players with a different manager are doing well.

Johnson was criticised for spending big (they had many players like Morell in centre mid consequently they never played) and not getting very far.

reading his comments section looks like the band of scousers are already annoying the locals

He's complaining about Mayor's first yellow card of two, not the second one that got him sent off. Quite frankly, if your player is on a yellow and then commits a foul that is obviously a bookable offence, then the fault lies with your player, not with the referee's earlier decision.

Do you think Ryan learnt his slopey shoulders act from his short term operating under Steve Dale?

Last edited:
Post global pandemic, no one is going to pay £3 to £5 million for a league one centre half with a single league season behind them.

I politely disagree.

Given I gave an example of a purchase during Covid renders your comment fairly invalid.