Match Thread: Rochdale v Lincoln City | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Rochdale v Lincoln City

Who came down to us all ' Billy Big Bollocks' and shuffled back up home with a shriveled pair!

Dont blame them to be honest. Huge club and the fans deserve much better. It’s the clubs of our size that give it all the Billy Big Spuds I cant stand - see the Deluded of DN35.

Such a long way to go but everything, so far, is shaping up to beat the 1981/82 4th place finish (our highest finish in third tier of English football since the removal of regional division 3 leagues in 1952).

Is this the best Imps team I've seen? 1981/82 was my first proper season watching the Imps. I was 14. Maybe not just yet are they the best.

This is early days - remember this squad have only been together for around 20 or so games. I am not sure yet it can compare, after 15 league games, to Murph's mob of 81 (Cockerill, Cunningham, Felgate, Neale, Peake, Shipley, Hobson, Thompson etc) but we have more potential than any Lincoln team I have seen since then. The age of the team plays in our favour and that is the difference between now and 2 years ago.

The only negative in the entire season is the fact we can't be there to watch it- Karl Robinson was unequivocal in the difference 2,000 Oxford fans made in their game today against Hull but also how different the game is to watch on TV compared to being there. In what maybe our best season in over 40 years......we aren't yet able to be there to see it.
The thing that stands out from the list of Murfs players there was that they were all our players, no loans. But perhaps also we didn’t have a set of replacements of similar quality lined up when they moved on

Dont blame them to be honest. Huge club and the fans deserve much better. It’s the clubs of our size that give it all the Billy Big Spuds I cant stand - see the Deluded of DN35.
Never knew that place had a Donny postcode. Don't know why I'm surprised when my brother, in Sleaford, has NG.

I politely disagree.

Given I gave an example of a purchase during Covid renders your comment fairly invalid.

Fair enough. You could perhaps argue that the full impact of COVID wasn’t apparent at that juncture given I believe clubs were expecting this season to be played in front of at least some fans and thus not need a bail out.

We may need to take the first offer that comes our way because we‘ll be financially fucked by then and not realise his true value or he may leave for nowt at the end of his contract. I may have to eat a large dollop of humble pie as he moves in the summer for several million pounds. Time will tell. What ever happens it’s a refreshing change to have players with his potential.

The thing that stands out from the list of Murfs players there was that they were all our players, no loans. But perhaps also we didn’t have a set of replacements of similar quality lined up when they moved on
Apart from strikers for a while. If you started with Harford and Hobson they were followed by Tony Cunningham, Derek Bell and John Fashanu. We even let Wayne Biggins go because he couldn't get a game.

Then we moved onto ahem Ross Jack and John Thomas.

Interesting that a couple of teams - Oxford and Northampton - chose to do pilot schemes on Saturday . Only 1,000 fans. Surely there is no difference between 1,000 and 2,000. Imagine after three months to sort the system, being one of the 1,000 other season ticket holders and having to wait for the next game because they were not ready this weekend.

Interesting that a couple of teams - Oxford and Northampton - chose to do pilot schemes on Saturday . Only 1,000 fans. Surely there is no difference between 1,000 and 2,000. Imagine after three months to sort the system, being one of the 1,000 other season ticket holders and having to wait for the next game because they were not ready this weekend.

Liam is on the record, I believe, saying we will be doing exactly the same thing...

Liam is on the record, I believe, saying we will be doing exactly the same thing...
hard to see why a pilot of 1,000 is different to a pilot of 2,000 in a ground that holds 10,000. especially now, as lcfc will have plenty of chance to monitor schemes at all the other clubs who are having 2000 fans in ahead of us.

hard to see why a pilot of 1,000 is different to a pilot of 2,000 in a ground that holds 10,000. especially now, as lcfc will have plenty of chance to monitor schemes at all the other clubs who are having 2000 fans in ahead of us.

Possibly 1000 can be accommodated in a single stand - makes sense to learn and then duplicate across other areas I guess.

Apart from strikers for a while. If you started with Harford and Hobson they were followed by Tony Cunningham, Derek Bell and John Fashanu. We even let Wayne Biggins go because he couldn't get a game.

Then we moved onto ahem Ross Jack and John Thomas.
John Thomas was top scorer in 1983/84 with 16 and Ross Jack got 11. Hobson got 6 that season.
The following season Thomas got just 4 plus 2 in the county cup, Jack got 8 and Hobson 10. We also had John Fashanu, Devon White and John McGinley at that time.
Fashanu got 10 in 36 during that period. Jack got 19 in 76, Thomas 20 in 77.
I believe that Murphy wanted to bring in those 3 during the previous season but Mr Blades and the then board refused.

Last edited:
I was going to say the same about only using one stand thereby reducing on stewarding costs. Don't forget that those going to all games at the moment will be those who have paid for a season ticket so the clubs are making no extra money, but have extra expenditure

We did have a number of loanees under Murphy - Seamus Heath, Jimmy Gilligan and the late Chris Thompson come to mind, and I'm sure there were others.

But football was different then. It was pre-Bosman, transfer fees were due even at end of contract, there were no transfer windows and clubs would only take a player on loan if they had injuries or needed a boost towards the end of a season. They would also take a player on loan with a view to a permanent move, but the dynamics of the transfer market were different. Today loan players form a key part of pre- and mid-season squad building.

I bet Liam could give you chapter and verse on all the considerations and difficulties but you don't have to think too hard and long to see there will be lots of issues to be considered and a 1000 pilot would make a lot of sense.

If you assume single spectators and no one sitting next to each other ie one seat spare all around you.

Empty Empty Empty
Empty Full. Empty
Empty Empty. Empty

I got 6 bums on 24 seats so max capacity 2500.

Groups etc would alter the maths and there are possibly better configurations but on that basis, would you want to go into this exercise and be sure of a safe outcome almost at the new full capacity?

I bet Liam could give you chapter and verse on all the considerations and difficulties but you don't have to think too hard and long to see there will be lots of issues to be considered and a 1000 pilot would make a lot of sense.

If you assume single spectators and no one sitting next to each other ie one seat spare all around you.

Empty Empty Empty
Empty Full. Empty
Empty Empty. Empty

I got 6 bums on 24 seats so max capacity 2500.

Groups etc would alter the maths and there are possibly better configurations but on that basis, would you want to go into this exercise and be sure of a safe outcome almost at the new full capacity?
Indeed, but that doesn’t account for the teams that have managed all this without a pilot match. Might be worth contacting them to see how they did it, no?

Indeed, but that doesn’t account for the teams that have managed all this without a pilot match. Might be worth contacting them to see how they did it, no?
Liam is on record that the club have remained in contact with other clubs on these issues. There will also be the input of the regulatory authorities, council, police, etc.

If the ground is opened up with a 1000k pilot, then it will be for good reason taking into account both the configuration of the ground and management of supporters outside the ground. I'd trust Liam totally on this.

Never knew that place had a Donny postcode. Don't know why I'm surprised when my brother, in Sleaford, has NG.

Nor me. A gentle chant of 'you're just suburb of Doncaster' wouldn't go amiss - if we ever find ourselves in the same Division as them again.

They may not have been sure that they would fill 2,000 seats with the way they have both been performing.