Match Thread: Carlisle United v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Carlisle United v Lincoln City

The red cards have cost us dearly in terms of points. Yet we’re not a dirty team, as evidenced by the yellows and what we all see week in week out. Maybe we lack a bit of street credibility. Winding up of refs and some naive challenges?

On the plus side today in real terms we are one point nearer Champions even though we lost. Realistically there has to be 6 disastrous results for us not to be Champions. Mansfield have to win their last three and Imps have to lose two and draw one (Mansfield would win on GD as a guaranteed swing of +5 for The Stags). The other unlikely one would be MK win all three and Imps lose all three wiping out +11GD currently in our favour.

On the plus side today in real terms we are one point nearer Champions even though we lost. Realistically there has to be 6 disastrous results for us not to be Champions. Mansfield have to win their last three and Imps have to lose two and draw one (Mansfield would win on GD as a guaranteed swing of +5 for The Stags). The other unlikely one would be MK win all three and Imps lose all three wiping out +11GD currently in our favour.
Let’s take control of this like genuine champions.

How an earth was that not a red as was the challenge on Bossie?

Without seeing any replays, nevertheless the challenge on Anderson at the end sent him flying 10 to 15 feet into the gravel trap.
As Woodis says, how can that not be a red? By its very nature and consequence, that was a wholly wreckless challenge. We are yet to find out just how much it injured Harry.

By comparison, Shackell's two bookings were minor and inocuous.

We started confidently, bossing the game until the Shackell red card. There's no doubt in my mind that both fouls were bookable, the second one he let his man get goal side and hauled him back. Prior to this he had looked imperious and I felt he would be a key figure. After that Carlisle took control and at times looked a very decent side indeed without creating much other than a Gilkes saved free kick in the first half.

Tactically we set out from the start to play within ourselves to cope with the 20 degree temperatures, the aim presumably being to keep something in the tank for later and to nick a 75' plus winner. This approach was unsurprisingly reinforced after the red card.

Carlisle bossed the second half but around the 65 minute mark we started to assert ourselves going forward, especially through Harry. Unfortunately, shortly after that Carlisle scored and it was only after that that we really created chances with a Rowe volley superbly saved, a Harry cross tipped over and a couple of scrambles from set pieces. As we searched for the equaliser Carlisle had a couple of great chances to wrap it up - a badly fluffed 2 v 1 and then a shot against a post. Some great last ditch defending too, especially from Bossie.

I thought all our ten played well, with Andrade and Harry the main threats going forward.

The ref was ok till the aftermath of the red card. Perhaps the reaction to it annoyed him and he decided to stamp his authority on us. The booking of Bolger was one of the pettiest things I have seen, totally unnecessary, and it incensed Danny (and us) even more. After that he seemed to be a homer, and Carlisle started to indulge in the dark arts (the ball boys may get headhunted by Danny for their behaviour later on!).

My first match of the season and I have to choose this one! It was the prefect storm - a very hot day, playing with ten for an hour, and a slick pass and move opposition. Two of those things we could have handled, but not three.

Two areas of concern: another goal from distance with no one closing down, and more importantly yet another first half sending off. How many is that now under the Cowleys (going back to Wood v Sutton... also on a very warm day)? It needs looking at, and whatever the reason for it something needs to change.

A final irony. Carlisle watered the pitch to the point that players were struggling to keep their feet, and water was clearly visible, especially in the second half. Was it not against Carlisle that Danny flipped because we had forgotten to water the pitch? Be careful what you wish for!

Great Imps support, a very different atmosphere to my previous visits to Brunton Park. Also surprising how many Imps on the train back to Newcastle at 17.45, including a handful who obviously live in the Tyne Valley.

Disappointing outcome after the hope and expectation (it's always the hope that kills you).

Average game until the sending off- never looked it trouble but never caused them too much problem up front.

The moment Shackell touched the shoulder of their player he went down like he had been shot- whether there was enough to prevent forward progression doesnt matter. Player on the floor and Shacks has a second yellow. Again disappointed but we have had some decisions go our way this season and some not- this one didn't.

Once McCarten came off we played with JA isolated up front and reverted to a direct game which added pressure onto us- between the sending off and their goal we looked a little ineffective with 10 men.

Once they scored we came to life again and probably created more chances in the last 15 mins than in the rest of the game.

Would like to see some stills of the Bozzie challenge and the Anderson one- too far away to see either properly. They certainly took a leaf out of our book in terms of hard tackling and playing on the edge of the law.

Thought the ref was clearly used to being the centre of attention- poor overall.

In a 46 game season, we will have days like yesterday. In a 46 game season they usually even themselves out.

Something poetic about winning the league title against Tranmere on Monday- onwards and upwards.

The view from the stands was that the big things were,

a) Shackell's first yellow
b) Shackell's second yellow
c) the tackle on our player in our box
d) Bossie's yellow which looked like a red
e) Harry's thumping onto the shale, which is hard to see as anything other than dangerous play (although there is an argument that Carlisle should be sanctioned for how obviously dangerous it is to have it around the pitch.

That said we were sat in row Y.

OK. Having looked at the short highlights, I will amend my comments slightly,

a) Shackell's first yellow was a trip, he didn't take him out. A soft yellow that looked worse from behind than it did from the fans side
b) Shackell's second yellow looked like a barge from where I was sitting, I didn't see the pull from the stands. Again, a soft yellow with two other defenders goal side.

There is talk on the Carlisle forum of Shackell pushing the fourth official after shouting at him when he went off. Not sure whether this will mean he gets further punishment and a longer ban.

Beaten fair and square, fair play to Carlisle. The ref didn’t get much wrong. Some Lincoln fans need to grow up and stop squealing every time a result doesn’t go our way.
I’m perfectly capable of making an objective view thanks. As my two non Imp friends from Edinburgh who joined me. The agreed view amongst us was that Mason had a shocker. I’m sorry if that goes against your view, but I thought this a forum where reasonable freedom of speech is allowed and fans can vent their frustrations.

I’m perfectly capable of making an objective view thanks. As my two non Imp friends from Edinburgh who joined me. The agreed view amongst us was that Mason had a shocker. I’m sorry if that goes against your view, but I thought this a forum where reasonable freedom of speech is allowed and fans can vent their frustrations.

Were you stood in the aisle at the very end of the seating (Block 1)- couple of scottish lads there (around row P)- maybe they were just Scottish Imps!

There is talk on the Carlisle forum of Shackell pushing the fourth official after shouting at him when he went off. Not sure whether this will mean he gets further punishment and a longer ban.

Certainly something happened as he walked off the pitch and Mason went over to talk to the 4th official about it.

Disappointingly it also prevents any appeal or concern raised.

There were several formal complaints raised by Carlisle fans last season with the EFL about the ref when we played at BP.

Maybe that was why we had Mason yesterday?

From our position he definitely looked to put his hands on the 4th official
Didn’t see a further red card shown at the time
Sure the fef will put it in his report which could be costly