Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45 | Page 28 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45

think it's more an example of a manager having an immediate impact tbh.

Anyway this season Bruce 1.36 points per match
Smith 1.45 - so erm much better I guess
(cf Brentford he did 1.44 points per game despite making them the fearsome unit we see now)

Smith doesn't have the options which is why he will build a new team in the summer when 75% of the current 1st team squad will be gone. Delaet, hutton, elmahamdy, jedinak, whelan, Bjarnson, Richards are all out of contract. Jack grealish will be sold and we don't own mings, tuenzabe, the lad from swansea and Abraham.

when smith first com you could see the change in style of football we looked much more attacking .we were scoring goal for fun BUT conceding far too many with a transfer window coming up and he knew where our problems lay but waited untill the last day of the window to make changes .most of our players are on a good wage a wage they wouldnt get elsewhere and if we got in the prem most you would hope would be moved on and better players bought in that means the over paid dollops of poo would end up at a smaller club for less money so why should they bust a gut to win promotion

No they wouldnt. You cant force a player to leave if he is under contract. They could just do what Fat Ross has done, keep picking up the wages and go out on loan somewhere if they want to play. It would also look good on their CV to see they had been promoted to the PL

I am trying to look for the positives for last night, and it is hard

I said before the game, this season is gone, all I am looking for now is building for next season, and tactics and a set up that gives me hope for the future.

On the second count we failed miserably. Total hoofball with absolutely no clue on how to play to our best players strengths, and then an after match interview that left me seeting with the crap , and wrong excuses.

However, trying to find some positives.....

Kalinic looks steady, and given 6 months of settling, I think he will be a very good keeper next year.

Hause was shaky, but you have to expect that with how long he has been out, I actually thought, given the circs and the baptism, he again will be OK next year.

Mings is colossoal, IF he is here, which I very much doubt. I think he is a quality player, and it is no good having a clause that we can match the highest offer, if we can't afford that offer - and I reckon by August, we will be utterly skint. But IF he is here, he is quality

McGinn - we all know about, and I actually think we may get one more year out of him. I think people will look, but not buy in the summer.

Green - as with Hause, you can't expect Messi performances straight away - we have seen how he can terrorise a defence, and I am sure, when fit and up to speed, he will.

And the youngsters we have out on loan, I think some of them are good enough, and should have been given a chance with us - but hey ho.

So, a nucleus to start from. I have obviously left out Grealish , as it is obvious he will be going, and the only thing you hope is we get enough money to buy Mings and another "class for this level" player wth the money.

However, as I said, that "style" worried me yesterday - that is NOT what I expected, and I presume what anybody expected, when we appointed Smith.

Don't know what people expect.

Most wouldn't play the vast majority of the team that played last night. Nor the bench.

Basically apart from 3 or 4 players most on here deride the whole squad

Doesn't leave Smith with a lot of options does it.
I agree that his options are limited but these players will not be here next season so why not bomb them out now - he has plenty of justification to do so.
Recall the kids out on loan and put the U23s in to get some game time in our team. We are not going down, so why not start the rebuild now. The kids might not have the experience of some of those playing last night but they will have energy and hunger and that will bring them through. The thought of being first team regulars should more than enough motivation.

Some of the players he has to play are slow and technically poor. It can't be underestimated how much Jack grealish is to that bunch of bang average shit that plays around him apart from mcginn.

We own gary Gardner and arron tishbola and till the day I die I flatly refuse to believe they are worse than 34 year old jedinak and 33 year old whelan, callum ohare would also be above those two.

The players are 100% to blame for last night, they were a disgrace to the name of Aston Villa. I didn’t even think Brentford were the Man City of the Championship. Pretty poor in front of goal, bang average. We made them look good. Must be great to play against a team that’s so uncomfortable on the ball they give it away like a sodding hot potato. It’s the pits and I’ve no idea who he’s going to pick for Saturday.
If there’s blame on Smith then it’s a reluctance to play Keenan who may just be able to hold on to the ball, and picking a midfield that McGinn apart, is as poor as I’ve ever seen at Villa.

So, the takeaway from last night seems to be that it's all Dean Smith's fault and he hasn't improved the players?

One moment from the game: Hutton takes a throw-in to Glenn Whelan who, under no pressure whatsoever, heads the ball back over Hutton's head and into the crowd.

And that is somehow the fault of the coaches? Ok.

The worry is - they are getting worse.

The talk will start again that they will " put this right " against the Albion.

And they will start like snails.

The players are 100% to blame for last night, they were a disgrace to the name of Aston Villa. I didn’t even think Brentford were the Man City of the Championship. Pretty poor in front of goal, bang average. We made them look good. Must be great to play against a team that’s so uncomfortable on the ball they give it away like a sodding hot potato. It’s the pits and I’ve no idea who he’s going to pick for Saturday.
If there’s blame on Smith then it’s a reluctance to play Keenan who may just be able to hold on to the ball, and picking a midfield that McGinn apart, is as poor as I’ve ever seen at Villa.

Agreed. I lost count the number of times last night where we allowed their players to control the ball , have a wander round and let them pick a pass , normally to a man in 20 yards of space.

So, the takeaway from last night seems to be that it's all Dean Smith's fault and he hasn't improved the players?

One moment from the game: Hutton takes a throw-in to Glenn Whelan who, under no pressure whatsoever, heads the ball back over Hutton's head and into the crowd.

I don't know JPA. It takes a lot of work in training to perfect that.

Hate to add to the Smith shit, but if players are not doing the basics ( see Man U under Mourinho ) ( Villa under Lambert ).

It normally suggests all is not well in the World.

Smith looks like it is all on his soldiers, maybe we are jinxed and he should piss on the corner flags.

Hate to add to the Smith shit, but if players are not doing the basics ( see Man U under Mourinho ) ( Villa under Lambert ).

It normally suggests all is not well in the World.

Smith looks like it is all on his soldiers, maybe we are jinxed and he should piss on the corner flags.

Well if that's the case then I'll choose Smith over this mob of failures. Maybe he's asking them to have fewer days off or train more than they're used to or not patting them on the back when they sky a cross into the stands. Whatever it is I'm sick of players thinking they can dictate to the club. Especially when none of the current lot have achieved anything at all for us or anyone else.

Spot on.

And I'll raise that with . One minute into the second half Elphick passing straight to a Brentford player who then launched an attack.
And Elmo running down the line and under no pressure just running the ball out.

This is basic stuff that coaches with players at this level shouldn't even be contemplating having to mention let alone coach.
Junior Melon 1 was out and came in and literally saw one minute of the game saw a misplaced pass and said how can a professional footballer not be able to pass . Sums it up.
Same applies to chasing back, engaging into a tackle instead of standing off ( that's you Mr Hourihane amongst others but you are the worst culprit).

These lot were bought by Mr 4 promotions to sit back and contain , get it wide at every opportunity and if you can't progress down the wings , go backwards or sideways. People are surprised that they struggle with a vastly different style of play.

And Smith's hands are tied . Drop 80 percent of the squad, give them pelters in public after every game or ride it out and try and make the best until he can change it?

I couldn't be more behind Smith on this situation.
I wholeheartedly blame the players for basic, fundamental mistakes and a complete lack of effort.

Remember who we are, we are a club which won the European Cup, that's in our DNA, that's what we expect :wahey:

The reality that night was not what people chose to remember. We spent the whole match in a negative defensive mode where Bayern ran the show, and totally against the run of play we nicked it in the final few minutes. Bayern were robbed. Great football it was not.

Much the same as last night, in fact. In the final few minutes as Brentford tired we began to look the more likely to nick it. Unfortunately, Brentford did.

Smith made a realistic assessment of the threat posed by Brentford, and decided, rightly in my view, to go defensive. That was the plan. I thought it worked, the players remained concentrated and sweated their guts out, and Brentford hardly had a look in where it mattered. Until the goal where they nicked it.

Compare what our players can do compared to Brentford if you will. I'm fine with that; we are where we are. But it was not the awful performance some make out. Not a performance to remember, defensive performances never are. But we had a plan, a realistic plan, stuck to it, and it was pretty close to working.

Remember who we are, we are a club which won the European Cup, that's in our DNA, that's what we expect :wahey:

The reality that night was not what people chose to remember. We spent the whole match in a negative defensive mode where Bayern ran the show, and totally against the run of play we nicked it in the final few minutes. Bayern were robbed. Great football it was not.

Much the same as last night, in fact. In the final few minutes as Brentford tired we began to look the more likely to nick it. Unfortunately, Brentford did.

Smith made a realistic assessment of the threat posed by Brentford, and decided, rightly in my view, to go defensive. That was the plan. I thought it worked, the players remained concentrated and sweated their guts out, and Brentford had hardly had a look in where it mattered. Until the goal where they nicked it.

Compare what our players can do compared to Brentford if you will. I'm fine with that; we are where we are. But it was not the awful performance some make out. Not a performance to remember, defensive performances never are. But we had a plan, a realistic plan, stuck to it, and it was pretty close to working.

Seriously??? our last manager received dogs abuse when he set up that way.
We were shit, Brentford deserved all 3 points just as Sheffield United did on Friday

No, their new manager changed their formation to 343 a couple of months ago, as they were on a terrible run of results. Since they've switched they are one of the form teams in the division.

Cheers GGS. It was a genuine ask as I wasn't aware. So not quite Smith's make-up on show last night then...