Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45 | Page 29 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45

Bjarnson, whelan, hurry up, hogan, Taylor, elghazi, jedinak, nyland, Bree, elmahamdy, landsbury all signed by Bruce all have been bang average or worse.

He also signed Johnstone, Tuanzebe, Terry, McGinn, Snodgrass, Abraham, Grabban. I appreciate most of those were loanees. Just providing a balanced argument (oh, and Jedinak was already here when he arrived).

Last edited:
Great,

Pitchforks - check

Burning torches - check

Tickets to Castle Villastein - check

Memo to all attending, meet at the Holte pub at 2 pm prompt to march then destroy Professor Smith and his evil monsters

Free cabbage to all attendees and return tickets for same event different
Professor four or so months later

There were a very small smattering in the away end last night who when Brentford sang "Deano, what's the score?" Responded "You can have him back, you can have him back, Dean Smith, you can have him back".

I found it madness and the cohort were soon roundly turned upon by others surrounding them.

What I feel still needs to be emphasised, whether you wanted Bruce to stay or Smith to go and all the other combinations out there, we were on the brink in the summer. Absolute cliffhanging. People seem to forget this as if it's a bout of mass amnesia. We didn't have a proper preseason, all our signings came in the last week or so of the window. Should we be surprised it is such a rocky season?!

The problem we have is the majority of our players are too old or will not be here after the end of the season as they are either on loan or at the end of their contracts. We will then see what smith's recruitment policy will be. Last night a bunch of bang average players dominated us through closing down, sheer hard work and a determination to win. It just shows what you can do with the right sort of players who want to put a shift in. I'm sure smith will know the type of player he wants.

Remember who we are, we are a club which won the European Cup, that's in our DNA, that's what we expect :wahey:

The reality that night was not what people chose to remember. We spent the whole match in a negative defensive mode where Bayern ran the show, and totally against the run of play we nicked it in the final few minutes. Bayern were robbed. Great football it was not.

Much the same as last night, in fact. In the final few minutes as Brentford tired we began to look the more likely to nick it. Unfortunately, Brentford did.

Smith made a realistic assessment of the threat posed by Brentford, and decided, rightly in my view, to go defensive. That was the plan. I thought it worked, the players remained concentrated and sweated their guts out, and Brentford hardly had a look in where it mattered. Until the goal where they nicked it.

Compare what our players can do compared to Brentford if you will. I'm fine with that; we are where we are. But it was not the awful performance some make out. Not a performance to remember, defensive performances never are. But we had a plan, a realistic plan, stuck to it, and it was pretty close to working.

Can’t agree with that Mac. Once you plan to go to Brentford to contain you hand over the initiative which is what we keep doing. It apparently is not Dean’s way but I am concerned that’s the way he’s thinking now.

If I had my way then Hutton, Elphick, Jedinak, whelan, lansbury, Bjarnason,Nyland, Adomah, Kodjia, Taylor, Hogan, Elmo, hourihane and Bunn would all be fucked off to whoever will take them in the summer.

Add to that the likelihood that Tammy, Axel, El Ghazi, hause and Carroll will go back to their parent clubs. So that's 19 players who'd I'd either get rid of or lose, plus unfortunately Jack makes 20. And seeing as we'll have a load of loanees coming back who bar a few will be sold or loaned out again that will mean even more going out. 10 sounds about right.

When you realise the extent of the rebuilding job required, it's difficult to know how long it will take to create a squad with the ability to generate some confidence and momentum. Won't happen in a short space of time, could take two or three seasons regardless of who's in charge.

This season, the only real interest I have left will be to see what effect Jack and Axel have if they are restored for the last 10 or so games, regardless of the fact that they will in all probability be leaving in the summer.

My worst fears upon our relegation regarding a long stay in the Championship seem to be manifesting themselves. Is Dean Smith the saviour? I think we will only know if he is given time and the patience needed to build an entirely new squad. Given the frustration felt by some of the fans on here, should we lose to the Baggies and Blues, he will start next season under immense pressure.

Who'd be a football manager:hmmm: Regardless of who's in the hot seat, we will all be here come what may. UTV :utv:

Last edited:
Out of our present set up I'd keep Kalinic, because he has potential, Jack, (can't see it), John McGinn, Tuanzebe if he can be persuaded to stay, Kodjia, if he can return to being a potential twenty goal a season striker and Mings, ( see Tuanzebe). Haven't seen enough of Keinan to judge but he needs a chance to show his worth, ditto Green. Tammy will be off to pastures new.
I'll be following the on loan kids with interest.

Each week I think it, but this week I am going to say it.

What the hell are you smoking McParland ? - we sweated our guts out did we ?

Seriously, how old are you - you NEVER say anything other than way how brilliant we are - its like a 6 yr old - we are the best team in the whole wide world.

We were crap last night, in fact, we have been crap for about 2 months, in fact, bar a 5 game spell, we have been crap all season - now people disagree on why we are crap, but to come on here saying "we sweated our guts out" - well, just god knows !

The problem we have is the majority of our players are too old or will not be here after the end of the season as they are either on loan or at the end of their contracts. We will then see what smith's recruitment policy will be. Last night a bunch of bang average players dominated us through closing down, sheer hard work and a determination to win. It just shows what you can do with the right sort of players who want to put a shift in. I'm sure smith will know the type of player he wants.

This though PF, is the million dollar question PF, and one that only time will tell us the answer to.

As you say, Brentford (basically Dean Smith's Brentford) won by bang average players closing down, hard work and determination. That my friend is how a small club gets between 10th and 5th in the Championship - whether that be Brentford, Blackburn, Blues, Forest, or in years gone by, Bristol City, Huddersfield etc....

To either be top 2, or be "the best of the rest" and get through play offs like Brighton and Fulham - you need all that together with "quality" players, and I mean quality that if they become available for sale, you know the top 6 of the PL would be sniffing around 4 or so of them - the Sessignons, or Maddison;s or Neves's of this world.

Is Dean Smith capable of being the next Nuno, or Howe or Dyche, or even Benitez, or is he another Warburton or Mowbray and 10th in the Championship is his level no matter who he is with - only time will tell.

Personally, I have my doubts, but as others, I don't think we have any option but to go with this for the next 12 months at least (probably 18) and see where we are.

Honestly, I think we will be in just about the same position we are now, but with a squad that costs a lot less wages - but we will see.

Last edited:
Out of our present set up I'd keep Kalinic, because he has potential, Jack, (can't see it), John McGinn, Tuanzebe if he can be persuaded to stay, Kodjia, if he can return to being a potential twenty goal a season striker and Mings, ( see Tuanzebe). Haven't seen enough of Keinan to judge but he needs a chance to show his worth, ditto Green. Tammy will be off to pastures new.
I'll be following the on loan kids with interest.

Agreed mate, using the money from Grealish's sale to try and land Mings and Tuanzebe would be sensible I think. That said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of those players, apart from the goalkeeper and youngsters, you suggested (and I agree) are with us next season.

Good point...mind you if Brentford were 'bang average' what does that make us?
People saying buy Mings..is he THAT good? The rest of the defence are awful and we have a one man midfield with a one man attack..and he won't be with us next season.
Smith has NOT improved our style or substance one jot in the time he has been at the club. And what the hell is John Terry's role in all this? Whatever, it ain't working.
I reckon Smith will be gone by Xmas if we are still halfway down the league, 11 year old Villa fan or not......and Terry will go pre season.

Smith doesn't have the options which is why he will build a new team in the summer when 75% of the current 1st team squad will be gone. Delaet, hutton, elmahamdy, jedinak, whelan, Bjarnson, Richards are all out of contract. Jack grealish will be sold and we don't own mings, tuenzabe, the lad from swansea and Abraham.
Don't forget we also have that brilliant french full back guy who we sent straight back to his parent club he's so good, hause who hasn't exactly sparkled, carroll who is injured and couldn't get in the swansea team, and a GK who is a bit hot and cold...put your trust in Deano? And what about FFP? We are sure to get done if we 'do a Leeds' and spend a decade and more down here.

Sadly as each game goes on it's looking like Smith is not our guy for the long term, his tactics are baffling, team selections need changing and something different tried but he still persists with the same thing. Time will tell but once he has his team together next summer that's if anyone will come to us, he has to hit the ground running with a rocket up his arse. It's my opinion and I see him nothing more than a mid table championship manager.

I am trying to look for the positives for last night, and it is hard

I said before the game, this season is gone, all I am looking for now is building for next season, and tactics and a set up that gives me hope for the future.

On the second count we failed miserably. Total hoofball with absolutely no clue on how to play to our best players strengths, and then an after match interview that left me seeting with the crap , and wrong excuses.

However, trying to find some positives.....

Kalinic looks steady, and given 6 months of settling, I think he will be a very good keeper next year.

Hause was shaky, but you have to expect that with how long he has been out, I actually thought, given the circs and the baptism, he again will be OK next year.

Mings is colossoal, IF he is here, which I very much doubt. I think he is a quality player, and it is no good having a clause that we can match the highest offer, if we can't afford that offer - and I reckon by August, we will be utterly skint. But IF he is here, he is quality

McGinn - we all know about, and I actually think we may get one more year out of him. I think people will look, but not buy in the summer.

Green - as with Hause, you can't expect Messi performances straight away - we have seen how he can terrorise a defence, and I am sure, when fit and up to speed, he will.

And the youngsters we have out on loan, I think some of them are good enough, and should have been given a chance with us - but hey ho.

So, a nucleus to start from. I have obviously left out Grealish , as it is obvious he will be going, and the only thing you hope is we get enough money to buy Mings and another "class for this level" player wth the money.

However, as I said, that "style" worried me yesterday - that is NOT what I expected, and I presume what anybody expected, when we appointed Smith.
He's great at making excuses though...Wigan and Hull 'time- wasted'...??? Reading's pitch wasn't good enough....now its the ref's fault.....HOGWASH!

Keep laughing, he has lost the players already

I actually think this time, it's the opposite. The players have lost the manager, coaches, the people above them and I think many of us fans.

They are cruising, they can't be got rid of until the summer, but they will be.

I do think and have said they should be able to coach the basics and get a shape etc etc etc but I think it is the players letting us / the manager down this time and the sooner the season is over the better. Give him time to re-build and hopefully start to use some of the youth who seem to be close to breaking through.

If he wasn't a villla fan, DS would be getting absolute pelters by now. Not just the odd cabbage either , he'd be able to open a vegetable stall up town

He's great at making excuses though...Wigan and Hull 'time- wasted'...??? Reading's pitch wasn't good enough....now its the ref's fault.....HOGWASH!

I do agree that is going to grate. I didn't think it was a pen against Tammy last night, I was absolutely sure the one that El Ghazi did on the Brentford player was though.

Hi Holtelower. Older than you, I bet :grinning:. I can remember the last time we won the FA Cup, when the great Peter McParland scored a goalkeeper and two goals.

Read what I write. I am saying we are NOT the best team in the world. Or even in the Championship for that matter. Two years of crap recruiting has failed to get us to where we should be, and left us with a mismatched squad, some players who are next to useless, and youngsters who are twiddling their thumbs as regards proper football.

I think that in the January window Smith (or to be more accurate, Purlsow, Pitarch and Smith, we do have a recruiting team) did what could reasonably be done to improve things. The dead wood (Hogan etc) was loaned out, Kalinic was bought, Elphick and Green recalled, Mings, Hause and Carroll loaned in, and the younsters sent out to play real football.

It addressed one part of the problem; last night our defence was:
Kalinic
Hutton Elphick Mings Hause
rather than Bruce's concoction of:
Nyland
Elmo Jedinak Chester Hutton
To me the new defensive line-up is at least reasonable by Championship standards, and vastly better than what we had before.

But we haven't addressed the improvement we need in the middle of the park. I think we tried but it didn't come off. Smith has to make the best of what he's got, and it's substandard. Don't blame the players; each one if fitted into another side with a different balance might well do fine, but as it is it's difficult. It also means that we are vulnerable to some sides more than others; hard pressing sides like Brentford are likely to win midfield battles.

So to last night. I think Smith put his priority into getting 3 points if possible so made us difficult to beat, which we were, hoping that Tammy or somebody would do the business the other end. I think he was right. Brentford are no Wolves, but the way they play is likely to cause us problems, as it has done in the past. I think a more attacking approach would have gifted them a 3-0 or more victory. Last night it didn't come off, but at 90 minutes it could have gone either way. Don't confuse it with a Bruce approach; this was tactical, Bruce didn't do tactics.

And to the players. I can hardly think of any player who wasn't concentrating hard and trying his best. Maybe El Ghazi had a very mixed game, but maybe he's still settling in and may never do so. Thought Hause was OK considering it's probably his first proper game for a long while. Didn't think any of the substitutes had an impact. But overall, I see no cause to slag off the players. Some will go in the summer as our future, promoted or not, will lie elsewhere.

Baggies??? We will win of course. I'm as deluded as any Villa fan. It's what keeps me sane. And if we lose I'll say it as I see it.